Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
BSewer
BSewer began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Using Calibre to move books from computer to tablet

I have a Nexus 7 tablet and have used Calibre without any problem to load books from my computer and transfer them to my tablet after converting them into e-pubs. Now that I switched to Windows 8.1 and use Calibre, the books transfer but the tablet no longer recognizes them as books. The file shows up as a square with a question mark and when I open it I'm asked about what program I want to use to open this file, text, FB reader, etc. I did not have this problem with Windows 7. Is there something else that Calibre needs for Windows 8.1? I just dug out an old Windows 7 computer and tested a Kindle book (non-DRM) I had bought last night and had no trouble converting the file to an e-pub, transferring it and having the tablet recognize it as an e-book in ES File Explorer.

Thanks for any help with this.
BSewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:20 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as calibre is concerned there is no difference between windows 7 and 8. In either case the books are transferred as simple file copies. What may be different is if you configured calibre on your old computer to put the books in a specific folder, or a specific format. You can check that by right clicking the connected device icon in calibre and choosing configure this device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2015, 06:30 AM   #3
BSewer
BSewer began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Thank you for your reply. I did go in and see about reconfiguring my tablet, checked off more formats and file where I want the book to go. I now can get the book to load into the correct folder from Calibre but I'm still getting the icon that is a square with a question mark and when I open it there's a drop down menu "open as - text, audio, ect." I click on text and get another drop down menu for readers. What do I need to change so the book loaded from Calibre is just recognized as a book?

Thanks for any additional help.
BSewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That has nothing to do with calibre. All calibre does is copy the file to the device, after that it is up to the device.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibe, e-books, windows 8.1