Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-05-2015, 09:59 AM   #1
nomorepapercuts
nomorepapercuts began at the beginning.

Device: none
Upcoming large format eInk readers for 2015?

I'm looking for a PDF eInk Reader and would prefer an approx. 10" screen given reflowing issues etc. I've been searching online and don't see much in the way of upcoming 10" models now or for release in Sept. (back to school & before XMas). I would hope it to be 'affordable' (say sub $500 range). I'm looking to read PDF books and some Academic journals. I prefer eInk for long battery life and low eyestrain. I read a lot and low contrast/brightness on LCD feels hard on my eyes.

Are there any new sub $500 10" eInks coming out soon?

The alternates seem to be the Sony DPT-S1, but the (almost) $1000 USD price has me unable to buy. The only 'affordable' alternative would be if new Kindle DX were released. Given DX is discontinued, only used/refurb are available and are 5+ year old tech its not ideal purchase.

This leaves me with choice of:
-Wait until fall this year in hopes new affordable 10" eInk reader

- Use what I already have and read PDFs on my desktop or laptop

- Buy a tablet - iPad / Android with preferably 8-10" screen.

- Buy an eReader anyways (I've been impressed with Kobo H20) ... the Carta screens are way better than older tech ... I wouldn't mind reading some of the classic books on Gutenberg anyways
nomorepapercuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have you looked at devices like the Onyx M96 which has a 9.7" screen? OK, you'd have to buy it online, but that's probably true no matter what you go for.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The Sony DPT-S1 is now priced at $799.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
nomorepapercuts
nomorepapercuts began at the beginning.

Device: none
I see the sale on the Sony but I live in Canada. Sony (as of last week) isn't selling to Canada directly from what I could tell. With the exchange rate and duty ATM, it doesn't seem worth it.

The Onyx hasn't been heavily advertised or marketed. I looked at Youtube videos of it and it seems interesting. Will keep it in mind as I make a decision.
nomorepapercuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:44 AM   #5
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorepapercuts View Post
I'm looking for a PDF eInk Reader and would prefer an approx. 10" screen given reflowing issues etc. I've been searching online and don't see much in the way of upcoming 10" models now or for release in Sept. (back to school & before XMas). I would hope it to be 'affordable' (say sub $500 range). I'm looking to read PDF books and some Academic journals. I prefer eInk for long battery life and low eyestrain. I read a lot and low contrast/brightness on LCD feels hard on my eyes.

Are there any new sub $500 10" eInks coming out soon?

The alternates seem to be the Sony DPT-S1, but the (almost) $1000 USD price has me unable to buy. The only 'affordable' alternative would be if new Kindle DX were released. Given DX is discontinued, only used/refurb are available and are 5+ year old tech its not ideal purchase.

This leaves me with choice of:
-Wait until fall this year in hopes new affordable 10" eInk reader

- Use what I already have and read PDFs on my desktop or laptop

- Buy a tablet - iPad / Android with preferably 8-10" screen.

- Buy an eReader anyways (I've been impressed with Kobo H20) ... the Carta screens are way better than older tech ... I wouldn't mind reading some of the classic books on Gutenberg anyways
My advice is not to compromise on size or screen tech - there are devices that fit your needs.
If you want to buy a new reader, your choices are:
- The Onyx M96 is the only current 10-inch e-ink reader that is available new and (more or less) supported in English (mostly by the community here). It is also extremely versatile, having an Android OS that allows you to install apps from the Google Play Store. Its younger brother, the M96C, is operated by touch rather than the stylus, so it's basically an e-ink tablet.
- If you don't want to decide between stylus and touch, Hanvon makes 10-inch readers that support both: the E920 and E930. The 920 has higher resolution, the 930 has a frontlight. Neither has an open OS, so you can only use the bundled apps - meaning you can use them mostly for reading and scribbling only. I must add that the Hanvons can be a pain to import, and enjoy no support whatsoever.

However, if reading is all you want to do on the device, a used reader may be a more economical choice:
- I highly recommend the Irex DR1000. It's been out of production for years, but you can still catch used ones on Ebay from time to time. (There is one right now, but I think for 400 USD it's overpriced - the realistic price is closer to 200-250.)
- A newer device is the Onyx M92, predecessor of the M96. It's perfectly fine for reading, and can be bought much cheaper.
- Pocketbook also used to make 10-inch readers, but I never owned one and am not sure about availability.

I hope this helps!
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2015, 06:05 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
- I highly recommend the Irex DR1000. It's been out of production for years, but you can still catch used ones on Ebay from time to time. (There is one right now, but I think for 400 USD it's overpriced - the realistic price is closer to 200-250.)
Do you know if replacement batteries are available for it? Any iRex device is going to be several years old now, and Lithium batteries have a typical lifetime of around 5 years. Not much use buying a device whose battery you know is going to die soon if you can't replace it.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:18 AM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Yes, replacement batteries are available. It is not trivial to change it but you will find some quite concise instructions when searching the iRex subforum here.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:19 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Yes, replacement batteries are available. It is not trivial to change it but you will find some quite concise instructions when searching the iRex subforum here.
Thanks - that's good to hear! I have a DRS-1000 myself, and occasionally power it on to make sure it still works.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #9
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
My Note 12.2 tablet shines when it comes too pdf's and things like comics which never really worked well for me on a smaller device.

Eink would be nice as well if it was big enough to show a full page but I doubt that will come cheap just because of supply/demand it's a bit of a niche product.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #10
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
It seems Amazon is selling some Kindle DX's that they had forgotten about:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...Reader+Blog%29
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #11
pmcnz
Enthusiast
pmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned offpmcnz can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: PRS-650, Kindle DXG
Amazon does not have DXs for sale. I used that link last year to put in an order. After 3 months they cancelled the order and credited my account with $20.

Apologies I was wrong (see HarryT's comment below). I was over at www.the-ebook-reader.com and he posted this news as well, so I went and checked it out. The listing for the DX ereader at Amazon says it is in stock. I did a purchase of a DX then. It is used and my order was confirmed, with a definite shipment date of around the end of this week

Last edited by pmcnz; 05-10-2015 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Correct a mistake
pmcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcnz View Post
Amazon does not have DXs for sale. I used that link last year to put in an order. After 3 months they cancelled the order and credited my account with $20.
The article linked to, which was written yesterday, says that this is a new offer. They may not have had any DX's available a year ago, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there is none available today.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:45 AM   #13
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Won't ship to Canada. Amazon hates Canada.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:31 AM   #14
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I was drooling over it last nite wishing I had the money! They only have the one!

oh no! I didn't see the offer I saw another offer by Amazon NOW I Hope I can get one in a few weeks! http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Wire...dp/B002GYWHSQ/

Last edited by Barbara1955; 05-10-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #15
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
NOW I Hope I can get one in a few weeks!
Note, though, that the 20%-off (~$25) sale likely ends today, May 10th.

I interpreted the final day as May 10th, even though the article Jmirko linked ambiguously says "... the deal doesn’t expire until May 11th ...", because if you follow the link given in the article's first paragraph to an article about the larger Amazon Mother's Day Kindle sale, that article says "Amazon has several Kindle devices on sale from now until Mother’s Day, which is May 10th, this coming Sunday."
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote