Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-25-2014, 03:45 AM   #1
Pouget
Pouget began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to create a send to device template that works

Okay, apologies:
1) If someone's already asked this, I couldn't see it.
2) If this is a hardware thing, my goof.

So, I want to send books to my Asus Memo Pad 7 in a specific format.

I want:
First Name [space] Surname [hyphen] series [space] series number [hyphen] title

so I get something like:
J. F. Rivkin - Silverglass 2 - Web of Wind

I wrote a template of:
{author_sort} - {authors} - {series} {series_index} - {title}

But all I got was:
{title} - {authors}

What am I doing wrong?

Pouget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
MiniMouse
Groupie
MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MiniMouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Well, there will always be a big time delay because I'm not living in the US! And there could be some communication difficulties too because I'm not a native speaker!
Device: Sony PRS-T3S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouget View Post
Okay, apologies:
1) If someone's already asked this, I couldn't see it.
2) If this is a hardware thing, my goof.

So, I want to send books to my Asus Memo Pad 7 in a specific format.

I want:
First Name [space] Surname [hyphen] series [space] series number [hyphen] title

so I get something like:
J. F. Rivkin - Silverglass 2 - Web of Wind

I wrote a template of:
{author_sort} - {authors} - {series} {series_index} - {title}

But all I got was:
{title} - {authors}

What am I doing wrong?

First, in my opintion you get out of your template

Rivkin, J.F. - J.F. Rivkin - Silverglass 2 - Web of wind

I'm not sure how you get the author the way you want it but for the series you should change the template to

{series}{series_index:| | - }{title}

because then you will have no [hyphen] and space between the series-index and title if there is no series-index. It basically says 'if there is a series-index make 1 space infront of the series-index and space/hyphen/space behind the series-index'.

Edit: You should do the same with the series because when you have no series you don't want any spaces or hyphens infront of it. So better write

{series:| -|}{series_index:| | - }{title}

And second: you made a new custom column with that template, right? Did you tell calibre to to use that custom column as title when sending to your device over a plugboard?

Mini

Last edited by MiniMouse; 11-25-2014 at 10:05 AM.
MiniMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Where is this template stored? There is a save-to-disk template for the filename, and Metadata Plugboards which control the title fields. Furthermore, the save-to-disk template can get overridden by the per-device setting in the device driver (if it was ever edited, it will save the configuration even for fields not explicitly set) -- this sometimes confuses the apprentices .

With a tablet, I believe you need to set the filename in the device driver, as it requires configuring anyway. So -- select "Configure this device" from the dropdown by Device in the toolbar. And change the save template there.

MiniMouse's advice for the actual formatting is solid, I cannot add on it.
But keep in mind, if it is a filename, you can use "/" in the save path to delineate folders.

Last edited by eschwartz; 11-25-2014 at 11:14 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
you can also include other Literals (the - is a literal )

Code:
"00noseries/{author_sort[0]}_authors/{authors}/{title}-{authors}
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
Pouget

Thanks all - I'll play and see what happens and what I learn.
Advert
Old 11-26-2014, 04:30 AM   #6
Pouget

And it was...the device configuration option - thanks all - fixed it and learned something too!

xxx
Old 11-26-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouget View Post
And it was...the device configuration option - thanks all - fixed it and learned something too!

xxx
Thanks for reporting back
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote