Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
michaelhillier
michaelhillier began at the beginning.

Device: kindle/sony
give new authors a chance

I´ve got 3 books out as e-books - on Amazon and through my own website [Promotional Link removed - MODERATOR] but it´s very difficult to sell them if no-one knows they are there. How do other authors manage - I would be grateful for advice as I am a complete novice to this sort of thing

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 07-15-2011 at 09:04 AM.
michaelhillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Give one or more of them away on Feedbooks, Smashwords, pirate sites, anywhere else you can think of. Put adverts for the others at the end.

I wouldn't pay to read anything by someone I've never heard of, so that would be the only way you could reach someone like me.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #3
emilyward
emilyward has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.emilyward has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.emilyward has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Find book bloggers who will review your book. They generally have a lot of followers and will get you some publicity.

Make sure you're on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, and other social networking sites. Don't spam, but make yourself available.

Google "book promotion" or "book marketing" and I'm sure you'll find lots of tips.
emilyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:37 AM   #4
William F
Pirosopher
William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.William F can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: kindle, pc
Get the Smashwords book marketing guide. It's free and filled with ideas that will get you started.
William F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:10 AM   #5
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
When you're posting in forums like this, make sure you have a nice signature linking to where people can find your work. I would have no clue where to find you at the moment.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 06:13 AM   #6
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
Addendum to caleb72's adivce: this forum has a limit to who can have signatures. I think something like "at least 10 posts and/or one week since the account was created", something thereabouts. So taking part in a few discussions might be a good idea.

But even before that you can enter other contact info, most importantly your own website, and also your Twitter username in your profile, so that at least people who want to look for it can find it. (It's under "User CP" - "Edit your Details").
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #7
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Isn't there a way you can promote through sites like GoodReads, too? I've only recently signed up for my GoodReads account, so I'm still getting the hang of the site, but I did notice that they do giveaways.

If you're willing to pay a few pennies, you could always try things like Project Wonderful to publish ads targeting a specific audience. For example, say you've written a book that targets sports fans, you could choose to run an ad campaign to publish an ad of a size you choose on sports sites, paying a specific amount for the whole ad run. I found it through webcomics I read and now use it to advertise my fiction serial.

Otherwise, like the above posters suggested, I would find book blogs and ask them to review your book. Offer copies for free. Use word of mouth. Tell your friends and family on Facebook and ask that they help you get the word out.

And read the Smashwords Marketing Guide.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:29 PM   #8
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Absolutely give your first book away free. Maybe your second to. Post it EVERYWHERE you can. Are you active in any forums already? Are you active in any clubs, organization, or otherwise? Mention it there. Follow the advice of the others in this thread, but the bigest thing to do is give your first book away for free.

Many people with e-readers go and browse the free books and try what ever looks interesting that is free. Very few will ever pay.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #9
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
Write a great book. Write a great blurb. Get a great cover. Then just chip away at it -- contact bloggers, send the book to reviewers, hang out on facebook and twitter, hang out here at MobileRead.... Do a little something every day. If people like the book, they'll tell their friends. Word-of-mouth is one of the best ways to sell ebooks.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DArenson View Post
Word-of-mouth is one of the best ways to sell ebooks.
Or books in general, IMHO.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:52 PM   #11
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneandonlyDoc View Post
Or books in general, IMHO.
or ANYTHING in general.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:13 AM   #12
michaelhillier

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
When you're posting in forums like this, make sure you have a nice signature linking to where people can find your work. I would have no clue where to find you at the moment.
not sure how to do that - put my website address on my first post but it was removed. Am I allowed to give my blogsite address?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:16 AM   #13
michaelhillier

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Absolutely give your first book away free. Maybe your second to. Post it EVERYWHERE you can. Are you active in any forums already? Are you active in any clubs, organization, or otherwise? Mention it there. Follow the advice of the others in this thread, but the bigest thing to do is give your first book away for free.

Many people with e-readers go and browse the free books and try what ever looks interesting that is free. Very few will ever pay.
Have got my first three books on amazon and on my website in different formats at 99c each. I was told that was the minimum price you could have for your books on Amazon
Old 07-29-2011, 06:54 AM   #14
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhillier View Post
Have got my first three books on amazon and on my website in different formats at 99c each. I was told that was the minimum price you could have for your books on Amazon
That is correct. 99 cents is the bottom price for Amazon... but not for Smashwords, and through them you can get it free on B&N, Apple, Sony, etc.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
All great advice, the best advice that I have been able to come into contact with is that some new authors will appear at book stores or other store openings to talk about the art of writing. They will mention their own works at the tail end of the conversations.

Another advice that I have heard of is its more in terms of positioning in the writing universe. Millions of readers are always looking for new authors to pick up on and will notice you becuase you - a) write the type of books they like, such as dectives or thrillers and 2) becuase you appear similar to an author that they know or 3) you appear to have a niche to write about. The last is probably the best way that I know of to get noticed, find something that is unusual or new in litterature and explore a new facet of litterature. John Grisham got noticed becuase he was wrting about lawyers in a period that lawyers were not typically in books. James Rollins was noticed becuase he started writing about federal government black ops in an era where that was not generaly written about. Fins something original to write about: a police detective that get the killer (not generaly written about these days as the books typcially talk about amateur and non-police getting the killer).

Why is Robert Langdon popular? (he is the main characters in a recent book called the Da Vinci Code) Becuase he is a symbologist which is unique in modern litterature. Why is Jack Ryan popular? Becuase he is a federal government civil servant which is odd in moern litterature.

Find something new and unusal. Dig through what you know, what you have done in the past, there has got to be something that you know about that could be adapted into story form. For example - in the real world I am a network administrator and that can be adapted into a story line as network administrators are often defense against cyber crimes and if a terrorist decided to use the internet to take down the US's finanical markets a network administrator would be the first on the battle field.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, e-books, sell.