Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 05-02-2008, 01:04 AM   #16
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Very nice. I would love to have FBReader on my 505.
Note, FBReader is being ported to OpenInkpot, not to original Sony firmware. I suspect there are formats supported by Sony which are not yet (or will not ever) be supported by FBReader.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:31 AM   #17
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
Note, FBReader is being ported to OpenInkpot, not to original Sony firmware. I suspect there are formats supported by Sony which are not yet (or will not ever) be supported by FBReader.
Yes, this means you'll have to replace the Sony firmware with OpenInkpot (is there a dual boot system ?).
Old 05-02-2008, 05:01 AM   #18
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Mikhail, would it be possible to provide a stripped-down VMWare Linux image with the necessary environment for cross-compiling your projects?

I am sure the good folks here would provide some download space for it.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #19
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
Mikhail, would it be possible to provide a stripped-down VMWare Linux image with the necessary environment for cross-compiling your projects?
Sure, I'm busy fixing our build environment to make such an arrangement: right now I can make OS image with chroot with build environment inside it, and this looks quite strange.

Thankfully, I just need to fix single tool to avoid additional chroot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
I am sure the good folks here would provide some download space for it.
Well, I've got quite good hosting for openinkpot.org, so I'm not short of disk space or bandwidth, but thanks anyway.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #20
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Yes, this means you'll have to replace the Sony firmware with OpenInkpot (is there a dual boot system ?).
It depends on the hardware and original firmware, so you'd better ask Wenjie who will do the Sony port. He is available on our mailing list and (often) on IRC channel.

We've come with the scheme to do the dualboot on Hanlin V3, and I think it is possible on other devices, but I can't guarantee it.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:44 AM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It means what he said. FBReader is a program ported to many platforms and offering the ability to read several different formats (look in our wiki). It has now been ported to the Hanlin and was previously available on the iLiad and Jon would like it if it were available on the 505. I would think this would be great. Having reader that can only read one format is a drag.

Dale
Dude, if that's the plan... that would be great. Although it doesn't add support for any DRM formats, right? SO, I'm not to sure what it would add.

BOB
Old 05-02-2008, 10:13 AM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
I am not so sure. There is already a puzzle game (Sudoku?) for the Sony and it was done by capturing the plugging in of an SD card and then auto executing a program. I suspect this technique could also be used for FBReader. After all it is not an OS and the Sony already has Linux. It is an application similar to the game.

Just conjecture of course.
Dale
Old 05-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #23
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I suspect this technique could also be used for FBReader.
Dale
You're right, but what Alexander is doing is the port of FBReader to OpenInkpot. It does not mean the he or somebody else won't port FBReader to the original Sony firmware.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #24
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Dude, if that's the plan... that would be great. Although it doesn't add support for any DRM formats, right? SO, I'm not to sure what it would add.

BOB
You are correct that it does not support DRM. From our wiki it supports:
  • ePUB from <idpf> (css, automatic toc, tables are not supported yet)
  • fb2 e-book format (style attributes are not supported yet).
  • HTML format (tables are not supported).
  • CHM format (tables are not supported).
  • plucker format (tables are not supported).
  • Palm DOC (aportis doc).
  • zTXT (Weasel format).
  • TCR (psion text) format.
  • RTF format (stylesheets and tables are not supported).
  • OEB format (css and tables are not supported).
  • Open Reader format (css and tables are not supported).
  • MOBI Non-DRM'ed mobipocket format (tables are not supported).
  • Plain text format.

A few are overlaps but there are lots of new ones.

Dale
Old 05-05-2008, 03:18 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If one were to use this software on a CyBook, would one lose the ability to read DRM-protected MobiPocket files?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:04 AM   #26
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If one were to use this software on a CyBook, would one lose the ability to read DRM-protected MobiPocket files?
Only if it were the only program on your Cybook. It you look at the iLiad and the Hanlin it is an addon program, not a replacement.

Dale
Old 05-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, I appreciate that, Dale, but I was under the impression (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that this "OpenInkpot" software completely replaced the machine's firmware. That would mean losing all the "built-in" software, wouldn't it?
Old 05-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #28
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, I appreciate that, Dale, but I was under the impression (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that this "OpenInkpot" software completely replaced the machine's firmware. That would mean losing all the "built-in" software, wouldn't it?
Yeah. That would be true. However, the Boo Reader that's part of the Cybook is a standalone app running under the Linux OS that comes from the manufacturer - or so I understand. As OpenInkpot is based around Linux, that shouldn't be a problem. But we all know "shouldn'ts" that have turned into "ares". Still, there's no reason why the version of Mobipocket ported to the iLiad can't be ported to the OpenInkpot OS. Or a Secure Mobipocket enabled version of FBReader. The big problem is that a Cybook already has a Mobipocket PID and there needs to be some effort taken to ensure that a person doesn't lose that PID in the conversion to OpenInkpot.

Derek
Old 05-06-2008, 02:28 AM   #29
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Yeah. That would be true. However, the Boo Reader that's part of the Cybook is a standalone app running under the Linux OS that comes from the manufacturer - or so I understand. As OpenInkpot is based around Linux, that shouldn't be a problem.
It is hard, but doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb
The big problem is that a Cybook already has a Mobipocket PID and there needs to be some effort taken to ensure that a person doesn't lose that PID in the conversion to OpenInkpot.
I hope we'll sort it out somehow.