Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 12:18 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Do you ever choose a book to read based on its length?

I used to sort my ebooks books by source, which in hindsight was kind of dumb (who ever says 'I feel like reading a book from Kobo today?) and then moved to a genre system. Today, I was suddenly struck by a fit of overwhelm at how many unread books I have, so I was struck by the sudden inspiration to go through and pull out all the books I could read in one sitting. My rationale was as follows:

- If the book was a freebie and turned out to be terrible and/or unreadable due to format issues, a binge read of the short ones would allow me to clear out a large amount of unread books very shortly

- If I separate out the shorter ones, it will reduce the size of some of my groaning genre collections, meaning that I will have less choice paralysis when I dip into those truly intending to read a certain genre

- I can reduce the number of collections on my Kindle since this will largely amalgamate the YA/Poetry/Fanfic/Insert Other Generally Short Genre Here books into one collection

I found a fringe benefit that I had not anticipated once I started sorting through the choices. If in the past I felt like a short, quick read then there were certain genres I favoured (mystery, for instance; I usually read a mystery novel in one or two sittings). I would avoid something like 'literary fiction' (even though I do enjoy those) because I had a perception that all of these books were long, involved sagas. Knowing that I have some choices from those genres which will not take a whole week to read makes me more likely to choose them.

Once I reduce my TBR pile, I am more than happy to get into the long sagas. I just feel like I want to clear out my TBR list a little and found this was a good way to do it. I now have a collection on the Kindle of about 100 books that I can read in one sitting. About a quarter of them will be freebies I deign not to finish. So, in about a month, I can reduce my TBR pile by a tenth in one fell swoop.

Does anyone else ever choose a book to read based on its length?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:08 AM   #2
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Yes - quite often.
I normally read a book from start to finish in one sitting and so I choose what I'm going to read based on how much time I have.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 03:23 AM   #3
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I like reading books in one sitting too, it feels good. I don't really look at length of a book before reading though, but if the book is dragging along, then I press menu to check where I'm at, and how much is left in the book. Then I decide whether or not to read the rest of the book.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:23 AM   #4
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Sure, sometimes I want a quick buzz. Sometimes I want a series I can wallow in for a couple of weeks!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:27 AM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I often choose books in a given genre (at sites like SmashWords) not only by the cost in $ but also based on length. I like longer stuff that will take me a sitting or two to read through rather than a few 1000 words short piece. One reason being that there is more story development in a longer piece than can be done in a short one. Things aren't so rushed so to speak.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Absolutely! I have a special collection with short books or quick reads I can pick up when I don't feel like I have the time or the concentration for anything else.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 03:46 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I prefer long sagas and series. The story won't end that fast that way...

And reading a complete book in one sitting???? There are times where I can hardly read a few pages a day...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:18 AM   #8
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
Sometimes, I have periods where I want to read something quick and light, in those instances I check for length but as long as the book is interesting I don't mind if it's long.
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:41 AM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I include as part of my criteria for deciding whether to purchase a novel the novel's length. I do not like short stories, and prefer what I consider to be full-length novels. (This criterion of length only applies to fiction; I do not use it for nonfiction.)

Once I have purchased a book, I do not use a length criterion as part of my decision whether to read the book now or later. I don't require that I be able to finish a book within a certain time frame -- it takes as long as it takes (or as short as it takes).

OTOH, I do look at whether a book is the first in a series, for example, book 1 of a trilogy. (A book can be the first book in a series such as Ed McBain's 87th Precinct novels, but that doesn't matter in my calculation. Each book in that series is really a standalone novel. It just means that the location and characters are constant, not that one book must follow a previous book.) Sometimes I do not want to start a series, I just want a standalone novel. In such instance, whether it is part of a series is considered.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
Assassin
Connoisseur
Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Assassin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: kindle
I agree somewhat with rhadin, except that if I know a multiple book series is a continuation of a single story I then definitely want to start at the beginning. But most of the Mystery/Detective types of stories are pretty much stand alone, with the same characters and a change in story line.
Book length does determine what I read in fiction based on my schedule.
The length of non fiction is of course what it is. If it's a subject I need to read I'm limited.
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #11
Mjaydakid
Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Mjaydakid knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3
one of the criteria I use when I pick audio books is the length. I want to get my entertainment money's worth. If I want a quick read, I choose an anthology of short stories of which there are hundreds of good ones. A good novel, I want to read, re-read, underline passages, look up the big word in the dictionary... too much to do in one sitting.
Mjaydakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
nookkatz
Tuxedo Cats!
nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nookkatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks and iThings
I don't, but this thread has given me some food for thought. There are times when I get so busy that reading even a short story takes more than one sitting, and I tend to read whatever strikes my fancy regardless of the length. I don't know which needs more organization: my books or my life! LOL
nookkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #13
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Not really. Subject matter and writing style are paramount for me. Other factors like price and length are secondary. Though if a shorter work is higher priced I'll probably take that into consideration.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I don't think about length so much when I buy but do when I sit down to read. Sometimes I'm in the mood to take a slow read that may take a couple of days so I pick a book that is 600 pages +. But if I want to read in a day I pick something less than 400 pages.

Some nights before bed I like to read short stories so I always have a few anthologies on hand.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:41 PM   #15
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I prefer to read novels, so usually download those rather than short stories. But I will download short stories from favorite authors.

If my time is short to read a longer novel, I usually just use my tablet to check out my customized news on Google Reader. But usually I have no problem picking up where I left off in a full length story.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote