Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-04-2011, 04:01 AM   #1
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Help me pick a tablet/OliveTree needed

I am saving my money and trying to narrow down what I want. I want to be able to watch videos, surf the web (wifi is fine, I don't need a 3g/4g connection), read (obviously)--although a lot of what I read is fanfiction, so I want to be able to have a reader that I can download fics too. But my main requirement is to be able to have OliveTree products on it. Which has narrowed my search down to tablets.

I had pretty much decided on an iPad (I have an iPhone, so am already hooked up with iTunes, etc), but have been reading about the Samsung Galaxy Tab. I know that at least the resources I use the most are available for Android. I wonder if anyone here has OliveTree on a Galaxy and if so do you like it?

Is there another tablet I might be missing? It's really hard on the OliveTree site to be able to tell which devices they support are tablets (at least if you don't already know they are tablets). Thanks for your help!

Mary
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 AM   #2
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Take a look at the upcoming Motorola Xoom. That has a lot of promise.

The iPad is a terrific device if you can deal with lack of flash, no USB, and being tied to iTunes for updates, etc.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 09:23 AM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
There is a thread discussing Apple's decision to restrict the ability to purchase goods through software other then their own. I don't fully understand the discussion, mainly because I have no interest in an IPad so I have not paid much attention, but the consensus seems to be that the 30% cut Apple is demanding from all stores who sell through the Apple portal is going to decrease the likelihood of Amazon, Sony, Kobo, and BN continuing to make applications available for Apple products.

I would read that topic and ask questions before settling on the IPad.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Yes, it's available (for free and other paid version) but honestly, I have not play with it. That's a Bible reader right? I am assuming will look similar to the way it looks in an HTC Android maybe?

I think iPad are good for reading PDFs but a Galaxy Tab is more flexible in terms of portability and even access. You can connect your GT via USB and it also comes with a mini SD slot. It has full Android Market and browsing the web is awesome. You can even use an external keyboard if you want.

iPads are too heavy and big, in my opinion, but that can be good for you in case you are not planning to use it while traveling or you need a bigger screen.

The GT Tmobile does not need 3G, you can get it without it and skip the contract.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Take a look at the upcoming Motorola Xoom. That has a lot of promise.

The iPad is a terrific device if you can deal with lack of flash, no USB, and being tied to iTunes for updates, etc.
That's nice--thanks! All things being equal, I would prefer a 7" to a 10", but I really like that one. I will be watching for it to come out.

Mary
Advert
Old 02-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
rxmom03
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
There is a thread discussing Apple's decision to restrict the ability to purchase goods through software other then their own. I don't fully understand the discussion, mainly because I have no interest in an IPad so I have not paid much attention, but the consensus seems to be that the 30% cut Apple is demanding from all stores who sell through the Apple portal is going to decrease the likelihood of Amazon, Sony, Kobo, and BN continuing to make applications available for Apple products.

I would read that topic and ask questions before settling on the IPad.
I did see that, thanks. That was the first thing that kind of worried me and sent me to look for a non-Apple alternative.

Mary
Old 02-04-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Mary,

Take a look , GT in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoOWP...eature=related
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have the OliveTree app running on the iPad; it's excellent.

There was a thread recently which said that the Android version of the OliveTree app was currently way behind the iPad version in terms of functionality. Might be as well to check that out before making a decision.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
rxmom03
Addict

Thanks!

Mary
Old 02-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #10
rxmom03
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have the OliveTree app running on the iPad; it's excellent.

There was a thread recently which said that the Android version of the OliveTree app was currently way behind the iPad version in terms of functionality. Might be as well to check that out before making a decision.
I've seen that on the OliveTree board. I was leaning toward iPad until Apple made such a stink recently about other booksellers on it's platform. So, I'm kind of afraid what that might mean to sites like OliveTree.

I know they are still on BibleReader 4 on the Android platform, but I haven't decided if that is the same BR4 experience that I had on my iPhone before I upgraded to BR5. They also talk about no split screen, which I did have on BR4. And after concentrating on the Apple platform for so long, OT says they are working on the Android platform (to get BR5 on it), but only God knows how long that will be

Mary
Old 02-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmom03 View Post
I've seen that on the OliveTree board. I was leaning toward iPad until Apple made such a stink recently about other booksellers on it's platform. So, I'm kind of afraid what that might mean to sites like OliveTree.
I honestly don't think it would mean anything. The worst they could do would be to remove the buying option from the iPad, but you'd still be able to buy content through OliveTree's web site.

The version of BR on the iPad is now BR5. It's the nicest I've used on any platform. Really, really good. The split screen is really at the heart of the program; it would be seriously crippled without that!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:

I know they are still on BibleReader 4 on the Android platform, but I haven't decided if that is the same BR4 experience that I had on my iPhone before I upgraded to BR5. They also talk about no split screen, which I did have on BR4. And after concentrating on the Apple platform for so long, OT says they are working on the Android platform (to get BR5 on it), but only God knows how long that will be

Mary
I'd recommend making a decision based on facts of what is now, not on speculation of what might be (good OR bad).

I have Olivetree on my iPad, Pandigital Novel (unlocked into a full Android tablet), and my G1 phone. Depending upon how you use Olivetree (or any of the other excellent Bible readers) the larger iPad may be of benefit.

I prefer the iPad simply because the larger screen allows me to see more scripture on the screen at any one time, and the screen size allows adding notes easily with the on-screen keyboard. Those 7" Android tablets are as limiting as a smartphone in that regard.

I find the Bible study software options for iOS to be more numerous and of a higher quality than what is available for Android. That's relatively speaking... the Android apps are fine.

The ESV Study Bible on iOS is a steal for $9.99 and looks and performs wonderfully. (it's not that price at the moment but they periodically have specials)
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
rxmom03
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I have Olivetree on my iPad, Pandigital Novel (unlocked into a full Android tablet), and my G1 phone. Depending upon how you use Olivetree (or any of the other excellent Bible readers) the larger iPad may be of benefit.
So you have OliveTree on an Android? Do you have the split screen? I know it would be BR4 right now--which I could live with. But if it is even more limited than the BR4 I had on my iPhone, I wouldn't be very happy. I wish I knew someone in real life that had an Android based tablet, and I would make them download the free OliveTree program

And of course, it will probably be a while before I buy anything. I am waiting at least until the new iPad comes out--to see if it either has something I must have or if the old ones go on sale. And by then OliveTree might have BR5 on their Android program (a girl can dream...).

Thanks, this is helping me clarify what exactly I want.

Mary
Old 02-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
I suspect your patience will be rewarded.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #15
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
So you have OliveTree on an Android? Do you have the split screen? I know it would be BR4 right now--which I could live with. But if it is even more limited than the BR4 I had on my iPhone, I wouldn't be very happy. I wish I knew someone in real life that had an Android based tablet, and I would make them download the free OliveTree program

And of course, it will probably be a while before I buy anything. I am waiting at least until the new iPad comes out--to see if it either has something I must have or if the old ones go on sale. And by then OliveTree might have BR5 on their Android program (a girl can dream...).

Thanks, this is helping me clarify what exactly I want.

Mary
Nope, no split screen. The performance of OliveTree on Android is quite slow... especially compared to YouVersion for Android and ESV Bible for Android.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote