Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #31
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by oggelbe2007 View Post
Sadly, maybe they should just stick a fork in the quest for color e-ink for awhile until the right material/process comes along. Cheap android tablets will probably eat this thing in the market.
Considering how many people prefer e-ink over LCD, that might not be true. And if this is like the color printers that don't have a cartridge for black ink, where black comes out as gray, than I guess that since people use those printers, to them these screens might not seem so bad.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #32
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Exactly
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #33
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Apple's 500 dollar is a hell of a price for what you'll be getting. At least no competitor can come close. hard and softwarewise.
Competitors can certainly come closer on hardware. Apple isn't doing anything there that can't be done by others, and at comparable or cheaper prices.

Software is another matter. I'm waiting to see what the next version of iOS for the iPad brings to the table. The iPad got knocked for not having multi-tasking. This was deliberate on Apple's part, as a means of conserving battery power - background tasks use it. This limitation is supposed to be addressed by a software update.

The same issue affects Android devices, and there was discussion on the Linux kernel dev list, because Google engineers had submitted Linux kernel patches to allow the entire machine to be suspended that they had implemented in Android and wanted to put in the Linux trunk. Some kernel devs weren't happy, but the feeling seems to be "This is a legitimate issue. Unless someone has a better idea of how to do the same thing, the patches ought to go in. You don't have to build a kernel with the patches active, even if they're in the source..."

There are an assortment of Android based tablets in the pipeline. How competitive they'll be will be a matter of software, and whether the vendors can craft UIs approximating the functionality and ease of use of the iPad.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #34
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
That was the kiss-of-death for Plastic logic, wasn't it?. Apple may be able to sell $500 products to consumers, but I don't think Hanvon will.
They'll probably be able to do it in their native market. I suspect they'll see sales over here as gravy.

Quote:
If you need accurate colour, then you need print, it's hard enough to get accuracy on a desktop LCD in a carefully controlled environment.
It depends on the degree of accuracy you need. You probably don't need the sort of accuracy a printer would try for in matching printed output to the original. For most applications, "ballpark" matching should be adequate. For instance, how many people can see the difference between 16 bit and 32 bit color on a display?
______
Dennis
Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #35
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
they can't they need to get some return on investment. they delayed if for awhile now simply because the contrast wasnt high enough to add the filters . this is the first gen they feel "comfortable" doing so will not result in contrast that is worse than the regular b &w displays. sort of a public beta.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #36
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am excited to see that a color e-ink screen is available. I have some serious doubts about how good the screen is. I have a sneaking suspicion that the refresh rate is going to be really slow and the colors not all that great.

If it is a good screen that works well then I would expect that Amazon, Sony, Nook and others will have new e-readers out using the color e-ink. I have to believe that the people who created this screen tried selling it to the three big e-reader sellers and that they passed on it for good reason.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #37
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I am excited to see that a color e-ink screen is available. I have some serious doubts about how good the screen is. I have a sneaking suspicion that the refresh rate is going to be really slow and the colors not all that great.
The refresh rate is partially determined by the screen, and partially by the display controller. Current eInk devices have faster refresh than early devices due to improved controllers.

I expect refresh rate to be comparable to current eInk devices. I do not expect great color.

Quote:
If it is a good screen that works well then I would expect that Amazon, Sony, Nook and others will have new e-readers out using the color e-ink. I have to believe that the people who created this screen tried selling it to the three big e-reader sellers and that they passed on it for good reason.
If this is what I think it is, it's using technology eInk announced as in prototype in December 2006 with volume production to follow in 2007. We never saw volume production, and I suspect OEMs passed on it due to costs and/or display quality.

Hanvon thinks they can sell it in the Chinese market, and they probably can. Unless the color display is a lot better than reported, I don't see it gaining much traction here.
______
Dennis
Old 11-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #38
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

now you can see for yourself https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...17#post1206917
Old 11-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #39
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Maybe you can. The links are all broken here.

Poking around on the eInk site, there's a press release about a new controller from Epson intended for color eInk displays. A PDF spec sheet (with a low quality screen image) is here:
http://vdc.epson.com/index.php?optio...1768&Itemid=99
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 11-09-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #40
BWhite
Connoisseur
BWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enoughBWhite will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PSP, Palm TX
Pseudo-video, does not really show the device in action like you would see at a trade show. And in some of the still shots the screen looks a bit enhanced for contrast:

http://vimeo.com/16625704

This is a different device by the way, same screen technology.
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #41
Dulin's Books
Wizard

the device in teh video from EInk is an in-house built demo unit
Old 11-09-2010, 01:45 PM   #42
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I expect that they will use a true black, since I don't think you can mix other colours to produce black. However, if they introduce new coloured pixels among the black ones, then the latter will cover less area than before, and so, the "black" will look washed out. I suppose they could replace the "white" side with the colours, so that the black will be as dark as it is now, but then the "white" will be a darker grey, and the contrast will suffer again.

As you say, we'll have to wait and see, but it's fun to guess.
The underlying ink is still black and white. The color filters tint them, so now it's red and black, green and black, and blue and black. Color eink also has a "clear" color filter to improve the white level.

Last edited by Dylrob; 11-09-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #43
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
The underlying ink is still black and white. The color filters tint them, so now it's red and black, green and black, and blue and black. Color eink also has a "clear" color filter to improve the white level.
Thanks, that makes more sense than what I was speculating, i.e. placing black/white, black/red,... balls in pixel patterns.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #44
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I was wondering when this would happen. eInk announced a prototype 12 bit color eInk screen back in December 2006, with volume production to begin in 2007. It never appeared, which led me to believe that either eInk had problems moving from prototype to mass production, costs were higher than OEMs wanted to pay, or results didn't meet expectations.
Yeah, EInk has been talking about color for at least 4 years now, if not longer. Considering this is an article announcing the date of an announcement at a tech show... I'm still wondering if it will happen. We've seen companies play this game before.

Does this really mean that color eInk is ready for mass production and there will soon be products available... still too early to tell.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by markuskane View Post
Now add a touchscreen, and I'm sold.
From the article:

Quote:
Hanvon’s first product using a 9.68-inch color touch screen will be available this March in China, starting at about $440.
...emphasis mine.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote