Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
2/3 of Kindle Users Over 40

http://kindleculture.blogspot.com/20...ographics.html
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:51 PM   #2
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

it is all about price point, and of course video games in the lower side of that distribution.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
More like 2/3 of Kindle owners *who post to the Amazon boards* are over 40. I don't think that's a statistically random sample that you can generalize to the pool of Kindle owners at large.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Maybe all the cool people stay away from Amazon, and buy Sonys and Hanlins and iRexes....

But seriously, part of the reason might be that the Kindle is probably the easiest to use by a non-techie, and the most heavily advertised to the general population.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #5
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Maybe all the cool people stay away from Amazon, and buy Sonys and Hanlins and iRexes....

But seriously, part of the reason might be that the Kindle is probably the easiest to use by a non-techie, and the most heavily advertised to the general population.
that really sounds likely. Maybe since Amazon sells so many books, they have insight into where best to spend the advertising bucks. So, seeing how they market the Kindle would be an indicator who are currently the most active readers.

In this case if they get the parents into the devices then as the platform matures the kids will have come to consider the readers like a piece of furniture or any currently ubiquitous device. Think the MP3 market went at it from the other direction based on the same sort of analysis?
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
More like 2/3 of Kindle owners *who post to the Amazon boards* are over 40. I don't think that's a statistically random sample that you can generalize to the pool of Kindle owners at large.
Just because it's not a random sample doesn't mean it's useless. First, you'd have to posit a good theory why the self-selected website responses would be different from random. Then, you'd have to show how that difference would be statistically signifigant. And even then, a large difference wouldn't invalidate broad conclusions. We can be reasonably confident that it's not 80% under the age of 40, for example.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:29 AM   #7
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Yeah but it's only polling 1380 people in a place where no sane person would ever be.

How many Kindles have been sold? 400,000?
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I have no trouble believing this. It seems to me that many young people might not have enough disposable income to make spending almost $400 on a book reader seem like a good value proposition (especially in comparison to spending it on video games, beer, chasing the opposite sex, etc.), and they have more compelling options for spending their free time (like video games, beer, chasing the opposite sex, etc.). Then when you get older and more settled and start to slow down, you rediscover the joys of reading. At least that's what happened to me.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
I have no trouble believing this. It seems to me that many young people might not have enough disposable income to make spending almost $400 on a book reader seem like a good value proposition (especially in comparison to spending it on video games, beer, chasing the opposite sex, etc.), and they have more compelling options for spending their free time (like video games, beer, chasing the opposite sex, etc.). Then when you get older and more settled and start to slow down, you rediscover the joys of reading. At least that's what happened to me.
Same here, hated books all my life. since i turned 19 i havent put them down

so of course the sample under 20 sucks, kids hate to read for the most part. its more of an adult passion.

also, while most of my friends read, the teenage girls are more into fanfiction than novels (though they do pick up novels once in a while)

while my brothers group of friends, none of them read at all. they are too busy getting stoned.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I've seen this report a couple of places, and everyone mentions disposable income and free time, which are surely factors, but I suspect the larger issue affecting the value equation for older people is eyesight and eye strain. Adjustable print size and a comfortable display are the main reasons I hear for why people 1) are reading from any electronic device and 2) are using eInk rather than a more flexible LCD device like a netbook or iPhone.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Just because it's not a random sample doesn't mean it's useless. First, you'd have to posit a good theory why the self-selected website responses would be different from random. Then, you'd have to show how that difference would be statistically signifigant. And even then, a large difference wouldn't invalidate broad conclusions. We can be reasonably confident that it's not 80% under the age of 40, for example.
You haven't taken a statistics course have you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
First, you'd have to posit a good theory why the self-selected website responses would be different from random.
Self-selecting sites are by definition different from random. If they were the same as random, they wouldn't be self-selecting.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:57 PM   #12
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
Self-selecting sites are by definition different from random. If they were the same as random, they wouldn't be self-selecting.
Self-selecting is also different from worthless. We all know this data should be taken with a grain of salt, but that doesn't mean we can make no inferences.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #13
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Well, I don't know if the poll is correct or not, but the results didn't actually surprise me all that much. There's the adjustable font size and screen quality, as taosaur brings up, for starters. I never cared about things like that until I was in my 30s and suddenly discovered eyestrain.

There's also the question of being able to afford an e-book reader, as Talldog mentions. I imagine most kids just can't afford it, unless an adult will buy it for them, for a birthday or Christmas, perhaps. And a kid who does have that kind of cash may feel social pressure to spend it on a device that is perceived as cool by other kids (or tweens or whatever).

(Though personally I can't imagine anything cooler than a magic book, I can see that there are benighted, ignorant people who don't share my opinion.)

And a Kindle is specifically made to be minimally technically demanding, so it is unlikely to scare off people who didn't grow up with technology.

So I don't know if it's correct, but it wouldn't surprise me much if it were.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Personally, I've wanted something like this since I was in university. I would've had a hard time affording it back then but I would have saved up or bought one used. Even though I still didn't have much disposable income when the first ebook readers came out, I would have bought one if the selection of books had been better.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #15
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If "young people" can afford a $400 video game system, accessories, and games, they can certainly afford a Kindle. I have one, I'm under 40, and I'm on the K2 boards off and on... but I don't visit the boards all the time because I have little use for them. And while I saw Bruce's post about it, I didn't respond because I think it's pointless to respond to questions like that.

The people who are generally on the boards are those wanting advice, and the few dispensing advice. Younger people, being more comfortable with technology, won't be on the boards as often asking questions.

So yes, I'm going to say that the sample isn't random. The types of people who are on the boards daily and responding to polls are (in my opinion as a 20-something) going to be my mom's age, 50+
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote