Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-14-2019, 04:33 PM   #1
iBookMan
iBookMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Calibre Viewer: loading next section

this is new behavior as far as I can tell and it's really slow on my setup (calibre portable 4.6). I also get pauses from time to time "loading next section" which never used to happen. I imagine the idea is to pre-process something or other and then the reading will be faster or smoother, but I had no problems with reading the old way and don't really like the new way.

I also had to go back to 4.5 because I couldn't figure out a way to turn off "dark" theme. I like it for windows 10, but don't want to read white on black. There should be an option to disable dark theme even if opsys is set to it.

How far back do I need to go to get a viewer that doesn't do the "wait for first time processing")

Oh, also, the ebook viewer now Welcomes me every time I use it, I think.

Thanks.
iBookMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 05:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Version 3.48 of Calibre
You might try excluding the program files\calibre2 from active A/V
(it got checked when you downloaded the installer)
I get the startup delay, but not sections... Are your book on of those with huge, single body sections?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2019, 01:34 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBookMan View Post
I also had to go back to 4.5 because I couldn't figure out a way to turn off "dark" theme. I like it for windows 10, but don't want to read white on black. There should be an option to disable dark theme even if opsys is set to it.
I think if you move away from using System default you should be able to avoid dark theme. Go Calibre Peferences - Interface - Look & feel - User interface style - change setting from System default to calibre style (see attached.) Then restart calibre.

Quote:
Oh, also, the ebook viewer now Welcomes me every time I use it, I think.
The new viewer only welcomes you the first couple of times you use it then you never see the welcome again.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-16-2019 at 11:43 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Kovid provided the following to turn off dark mode in calibre:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The link in the manual Kovid pointed to does a good job of explaining how to set the variables. I attached my variables as a general example. The system variables don't have to be duplicated in the user section and vice-a-versa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Environment Variables.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	175656   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Variable.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	175657  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-17-2019 at 12:06 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:43 PM   #5
iBookMan

i'll try that, thanks.
Advert
Old 12-16-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
iBookMan

yes, the welcome has stopped now. maybe it's for the first book of each file type? i've been opening a lot of books lately so they may have been of different file types.