Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 02:24 PM   #46
menevets
Connoisseur
menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.menevets ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300/Kindle 4 basic/iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone/Nexus 7
I would say 75%.

Sony Reader for linear straight through reading, mostly fiction, for books borrowed from the library. Some RSS feeds.

iPad for pdfs, books I photographed, web snippets.

I get a little impatient with the Sony's ereader speed since I'm more used to the iPad's quick response.
menevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #47
zorah
Enthusiast
zorah is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad; iPhone; Asus T91MT; Kindle Touch
I just got an iPad recently. I had been holding out, but I just couldn't resist and my love got it as an early Xmas present. I have a variety of devices including a WPDN. (since gifted and one still in the house, not used by me). The Novel's 7" screen really is great, but I just craved for a capacitive touch screen. I considered a used K1 or K2 before, but just really wanted a touch screen e-reader, which then led to the debate that I would be just as happy with a multi-function device. The Asus serves a different use being a netbook with a built in keyboard, and it is a computer with a full OS so it certainly cannot be left on, and decided that afterall, not really my personal choice as an e-reader. The WPDN was what I had hoped then would be my dedicated reader, but it does not have the instant on like an iPad. When left off, it has decent battery life (at least in my book), but it can't be left in standby mode-that drains the battery. The resistive touch screen is nowhere near as smooth either-I could have worked around that, but not being able to leave it on standby was the deal-breaker. I can deal with the iPad's larger screen as I rest it on my knees easily in bed reading. The interface really just is gorgeous and just so smooth that hands down it is my primary reader now, and the multi function adds fun. Battery life is great too for my particular need level.

Last edited by zorah; 01-23-2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: update
zorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 01:37 PM   #48
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
The only thing that I read on the IPAD is web page content and the occasional magazine. For book reading I do it exclusively on the Kindle KDX. I find the Kindle screen far gentler on my eyes and the reading experience far more satisfying (for linear book reading). For web pages, rss feeds or magazines the iPad is tops (except for New Yorker).
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #49
pizda
Enthusiast
pizda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
Just switched from kindle DX to iPad. I do not like reading novels on such a big screen, if only DX had the same two columns reading mode as iBooks... For PDFs kindle is barely usable, no words to describe the difference in reading with BlueFire vs on DX. I was hesitating at first to buy iPad because I was afraid of the glare. I must say it is not a problem reading evenings with fine source of light. Well maybe I will clean the dust from my kindle for the summer but honestly I do not read outdoors.
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #50
Phebe
Connoisseur
Phebe doesn't litterPhebe doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500 and Kindle 2 and iPad and iPhone
I abandoned my Sony Reader for a Kindle 2; and abandoned the Kindle 2 for an iPad. I carry the iPad everywhere in my purse, never leave home without it, and I read in bed in the dark on sleepless nights.

I LOVE the look-up capacity of the iPad: a pronouncing dictionary app, Wikipedia for quick what-is-that look-ups, and best of all the hypnotic Apple Maps feature, with which I find I follow the journeys in every novel --- except the sci-fis. It's amazing what a good added dimension to a novel carefully following the geography can bring: you can even get down to street level in many areas now, including Europe. Walking along a street of a rebuilt village destroyed in World War I was creepy; there actually IS a Monte Cristo island, precisely as described by Dumas, between Sicily and Leghorn, and every place in Michael McDowell's wonderful horror "Elementals" is really there on the Gulf Coast.....except the sandspit on which the three houses of Belle Dame disappear in a giant cone of white sand.

I agree that I wish Amazon and Apple (the two dealers I buy most books from) would set up Collections like Sony Reader has --- that really works well. But it's crucial to me to have all my books or samples in one physical device. I'm trying to phase out the last seven books trapped in the Sony Reader PRS-500 now.
Phebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #51
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I just recently got an iPad but I prefer my Sony PRS-650 for book reading. I use Bookman on the iPad for reading comics.

I don't see this changing. I really like the e-ink screen for reading.

Now reading Dead Tree Edition books, that is freakin' weird. I have a really hard time with it. A friend gave me a book for our Holiday exchange at work and the first thing I did was look for ebook of it. Sadly, it would have cost me almost $20 to get an ebook of a book I already had in my hands. I broke down and read the paper version but it felt...wrong. it sounds like sacrilege in a house full of avid readers and lots and lots of books.

Then again, with eight people in our house we have two PRS-505s, one 600, one 650, two 300s and a nook. The only person who does not have an ebook reader is my six year old. It is only a matter of time.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #52
januaryman
Used DTBs & iPad User
januaryman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
The ipad wasn't bought as a reader, but now that's it's main purpose. I like the touch screen, the dictionary, the ability to highlight and take notes and most of all, to SEARCH for a word or name.

Historically, I started e-reading from time to time on a Palm Pilot!
januaryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #53
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
The main reason that my iPad has replaced my Sony Reader is that I can get books to it wirelessly. I hated not being able to get books on my Sony when I was out and about, especially at the airport before a flight. We purchase all of our books from Amazon (and then de-DRM them)because my wife loves her K2, and the iPad Kindle app is beautiful and easy to use. I still own my Sony, and use it on the beach, but it'll probably get sold soon if someone releases a smaller (7 inch or less) tablet that can be read in the sunlight more easily.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:21 PM   #54
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
i was just gifted an iPad in the last couple of days and once i sync'd my books up with calibre via iTunes (using iBooks), i was surprised at how seamless and easy the transition was and how well the iPad performs.
I haven't bothered trying other reader apps as iBooks performed flawlessly with my ePubs and PDF's.
I was worried about eyestrain due to the backlight, but i control that via iBooks and have read for several hours with no issue.

It certainly wasn't planned to replace my current reader, but it now has. My partner will be using the Sony from now on.

I can't believe how quickly i went from an iPad disliker to an iPad user... i've found the device to be a bit of a revelation really. Very handy.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #55
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
My iPad is my reader. It replace my Sony 505. At first I found I was spending all my free time playing games or watching video on it, but for the last month I haven't done much besides read with it. I think I'm enjoying it more now.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #56
bellenoire2005
bellenoire2005 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3, iPad
I prefer my Kindle to my iPad. The Kindle seems easier on the eyes, is a lot less heavy, and doesn't get too hot. I do read my textbooks on the iPad because I prefer the color highlighting feature.
bellenoire2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #57
Nanopr
Connoisseur
Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Nanopr can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kobo Touch
I have been reading on both an iPad and a Sony PRS-600 (e-ink). I must say, after almost 2 months, that for reading purposes e-ink is a superior experience. Ipad is good for magazines, newspapers & fair for short reading periods. E-ink much better for book reading and extended periods of reading. The iPad (LCD) just kills my eyes after a while. Just my experience...
Nanopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:57 PM   #58
valb2953
Enthusiast
valb2953 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad,kindle
equally

I switc between iPad and Kindle based on the light.During the day I use my Kindle, but at night or when it's dark I switch to the iPad, because I don't need an extra light source.Also, there are several readers on iPad and most of the time I have a different book open in each one (no, I don't get confused by reading several books at the same time!) valentin bazavan
valb2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:25 AM   #59
Phebe
Connoisseur
Phebe doesn't litterPhebe doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS 500 and Kindle 2 and iPad and iPhone
I must say, Amazon's support for the Kindle and Kindle app is excellent: you get to talk to real people.

I was writing then calling to urge them to program collections/category organizing of both books and samples on the Kindle app for iPad. Crucial to me, because I really have a lot of books and samples on.

I knew they hadn't done it yet because I researched the issue thoroughly, but I figured I'd be a squeaky wheel. The most recent version of Kindle app for iPad DID add page numbers linked to a published codex, so you can reference your pages in class or in a book discussion group, and that's an elegant solution to those "location" numbers that change with font and type size.

I think it would be a good business solution for them to add a categorizing option to the Kindle app, because we who store a lot of samples buy a LOT of books, because then we don't forget the titles.
Phebe is offline   Reply With Quote