Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-14-2019, 01:40 AM   #1
somedaygone
somedaygone began at the beginning.

Device: Win10
Position location in book between v3 and v4

The one thing I hate most about e-books is the lack of page numbers. Calibre v3 had a position number in the upper left corner that was the next best thing, so I used that in place of page numbers in my notes.

When v4 first came out, there were no position numbers and I instantly reverted back. Checking out 4.6, it looks like there are position numbers again but they don't match v3 position numbers.

Am I out of luck with all my old notes?

If I want to stay on v3, how long will that last? I'm guessing there is a reason Calibre was updated to the new viewer.

If I update page numbers (or scrap them altogether), I don't want this to happen again with v4. Any ideas how to get position in an e-book that is more robust than this? In a perfect world, it would be great to match Kindle position numbers as this is somewhat accepted in academic settings.
somedaygone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:06 AM   #2
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Calibre 4.6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura.PNG
Views:	83
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	175601  
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #3
somedaygone
somedaygone began at the beginning.

Device: Win10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
Calibre 4.6
Reference mode is different than position numbers so that won't help me for my previous notes. It also doesn't match between versions, but it's just off by one.
somedaygone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Position numbers were never intended to serve as references, they were there mostly for refuges from paper books. They actually depend on all sorts of things like window size, font size, etc. If you want really accurate references use either reference mode or Go to->Location which uses EPUB CFI identifiers to unambiguously identify the location.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote