Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-21-2015, 11:04 PM   #1
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Scribd changes audiobooks to credit based system

It looks like some audiobooks will be credit based while they'll maintain a changing catalog of unlimited ones as well.
Quote:
Today, we’re letting you know that we’re going to be transitioning our audiobook service to a credit–based system. Starting on September 20, you will receive one audiobook credit as part of your monthly subscription to use toward any title in Scribd’s audiobook catalog.
Quote:
What does this actually mean for listeners?
  • Your monthly subscription price of $8.99 will stay the same.
  • Nothing will change for the next 30 days – the unlimited audiobooks library will remain as-is during this time.
  • After that 30 days, we’ll be offering a rotating catalog of thousands of audiobooks for unlimited listening. These are being made available through special arrangements with publishing partners. We’ll be working on more deals like this, so the selection will be updated monthly with new titles. Check back often!
  • For audiobooks outside of that unlimited catalog, simply use the audiobook credit you receive at the start of each billing cycle.
  • You will have the option to purchase additional audiobook credits for $8.99.
  • And, of course, you’ll still have more than one million ebooks and comics at your fingertips!
http://blog.scribd.com/2015/08/21/a-...rom-our-ceo-2/

Nate has a write up on his blog as well...
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...obook-service/

Last edited by AnemicOak; 08-21-2015 at 11:07 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:12 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It looks like some audiobooks will be credit based while they'll maintain a changing catalog of unlimited ones as well.

http://blog.scribd.com/2015/08/21/a-...rom-our-ceo-2/

Nate has a write up on his blog as well...
http://the-digital-reader.com/2015/0...obook-service/
Not good. Expect to see more subscribers bailing in response.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I guess it will depend at least somewhat on what's in the catalog of unlimited titles is and if it's large enough folks can find stuff they want without resorting to buying credits, but it doesn't sound good.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 08:49 AM   #4
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Well, there goes my plan to pause my Audible subscription and rejoin Scribd for a while. I could see instituting some limits--I'd think maybe three or four audiobooks a month would be acceptable--but one? For a rental? Not worth it.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:34 PM   #5
Autonomous
Autonomous began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I guess it will depend at least somewhat on what's in the catalog of unlimited titles is and if it's large enough folks can find stuff they want without resorting to buying credits, but it doesn't sound good.
Agreed. I've been using Scribd for listening to audiobooks and was pleased with the selection, but this doesn't bode well for future accessibility. I think they are already deleting books from the available catalogue in preparation for September 20th. When I finished my current audiobook this weekend, the book I had planned on listening to next was no longer in the catalogue. If what I'm interested in is no longer there by the time the credit system becomes effective, I may have to switch to listening to classics (which, I guess, wouldn't be such a bad thing).
Autonomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I'm undecided. To my mind, it's still a better deal than Audible, IF they have books I want to listen to. $9 a month vs. $15 a month. Yes it's rental vs. owning, but I don't care about that, I only listen to a book once, so I don't need to own it. And there are other titles I can read or listen to in addition to the ones that are limited. So I think I will stay with it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'm undecided. To my mind, it's still a better deal than Audible, IF they have books I want to listen to. $9 a month vs. $15 a month. Yes it's rental vs. owning, but I don't care about that, I only listen to a book once, so I don't need to own it. And there are other titles I can read or listen to in addition to the ones that are limited. So I think I will stay with it.
While not as big of a selection as Scribd (45,000+ titles), Downpour Rental (10,000+ titles) generally has cheaper rental prices. Where Scribd will charge $9 for each premium title, Downpour charges $6 to $7 for most of its rental titles. Be sure to check Downpour and your public library before renting additional titles from Scribd.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 09-01-2015 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Download --> Downpour
Old 09-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you mean downpour.com?
Old 09-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Do you mean downpour.com?
Yes

corrected post
Old 09-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Sadly, I have cancelled my Scribd subscription. I just don't care for the changes to the audio book program. I'll stick with the library/whispersync for voice combos for my audio books from now on.

It makes me sad, though.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #11
seanma
seanma began at the beginning.

Device: Android
it's a suicidal decision, business-wise. i'm gonna wait for the next 2-3 days to see if they offer the newly published will durant, then i'll cancel the subscription.
seanma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #12
seanma
seanma began at the beginning.

Device: Android
i suppose they are doing that cos they're gonna be purchased by audible, like everyone else (sigh)
seanma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Scribd Expands Its Audiobook Catalog With Titles from Hachette, Macmillan

Quote:
Never one to give up in the face of adversity, Scribd is growing its audiobook catalog today.

The subscription ebook service says it has just added over ten thousand audiobook titles to its catalog. Scribd had previously carried around 30,000 titles under a contract with Findaway, and now it's adding titles from Hachette, Macmillan, HighBridge Audio, Tantor Audio, and Recorded Books.