Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #601
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I just take a pass on those cuts
With the better cuts costing me $300 a pound, I can choose to either wait until I'm outside of Japan to eat beef, or figure out how to make the cheaper cuts work. I opt for the work-around.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #602
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Indeed. People often don't realize that beef is not so cheap and readily available in many places as it is in America...

Hong Kong is better off in this regard than Japan, but still, far from being in the same league as all my fave steakhouses in NYC.

It. Is. Tough. For Me.
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 01:25 AM   #603
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
^ Indeed. People often don't realize that beef is not so cheap and readily available in many places as it is in America...

Hong Kong is better off in this regard than Japan, but still, far from being in the same league as all my fave steakhouses in NYC.

It. Is. Tough. For Me.
Not only are the prices very different, the meat itself can be remarkably different, both in taste and texture. In Thailand, we can't even EAT the beef! During the years we lived there, we NEVER bought beef. Only pork, lamb, and chicken.

The first time my wife visited Thailand, she saw a famous chain of Steak Houses and wanted a steak dinner. I tried to tell her that the meat was very different but she just couldn't internalize how VERY different it was. She ordered a N.Y. Strip steak, and when it came, she could not cut it with her serrated steak knife. She asked for a different knife, which was brought out immediately. She still could not cut the steak. So she asked to borrow my pocket knife. (It is sharp enough to shave with... comfortably...) She still could only barely cut off a piece of meat. When she had, and put it in her mouth, she was unable to chew it. It was tougher than beef jerky. I used to joke that even Thai hamburger meat was tough!

Give me a good U.S. Kansas City Porterhouse any day! I think the taste is much better than Kobe beef!

Stitchawl
Old 07-09-2011, 01:43 AM   #604
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ Exactly right Stitchawl. Look, I do like Kobe beef, but come on...can I really truly tell that the cow had 3 massages a day when it comes to my plate? Wouldn't bet money on it and its a lotta money! And for sure, no beef for me either in Thailand.

I recently had steak twice at 2 branches of a local HK steak chain called "Steak Expert". Ummmm, no offense, but it was only OK, a bit better than most local so-called steak places, but really, perhaps only a cut or 2 above Sizzler in the States. But no huge martinis, no creamed spinach and where the hell are the potatoes?!?!?

I am YEARNING for the prime rib from my all-time fave steakhouse Old Homestead in NYC. And the 40 day dry aged, bone-in ribeye from Primehouse on Park Ave. dammit...lol

Yep, its gonna be stuff like this that I miss the most about NYC...And also, the steaks are much smaller weight in HK than in the States, rarely over 10-12 ounces, surely not enough for me when I am craving cow.

Last edited by lestatar; 07-09-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:36 AM   #605
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I just take a pass on those cuts
Those cuts are *different*. Some recipes can only be made with those "cheap" cuts. When done properly the taste is very rich and texture is perfect.

Recently I have been cooking pork knuckles quite often. It is very different cut than any other part of the pig. I have purchased crock-pot and I have made proper electronic regulator with precise temperature probe for it, so it works like "poor man's Sous-Wide cooker / convention oven"

You can't make proper Hungarian or Czech goulash from other than "goulash" [understand cheap] cut of beef.

Try to find an episode of "Kitchen chemistry" by Heston Blumenthal called "Meat" (or was it "beef"?). He can explain much better than I can.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2011, 05:16 AM   #606
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
I recently had steak twice at 2 branches of a local HK steak chain called "Steak Expert". Ummmm, no offense, but it was only OK, a bit better than most local so-called steak places, but really, perhaps only a cut or 2 above Sizzler in the States.
It was a 'Sizzler' Steak House where my wife couldn't cut her food.

Quote:
Yep, its gonna be stuff like this that I miss the most about NYC...And also, the steaks are much smaller weight in HK than in the States, rarely over 10-12 ounces, surely not enough for me when I am craving cow.
I've already sussed out the steak houses in the area where I'll be visiting in three weeks (in the US) to find the places that sell the 22oz Porterhouse steaks... I figure every other night should do...

Stitchawl
Old 07-09-2011, 05:24 AM   #607
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

^ lucky bast&$^* Enjoy! Hey, maybe take some pics so we can all be jealous...
Old 07-28-2011, 08:08 AM   #608
Stitchawl
Opsimath

I want....

Clausson's Kosher Dill pickles
Hebrew National all beef hot dogs (cooked on a stick over a wood campfire
Sbarro's Pizza
A 22oz Porterhouse steak
Fresh waffles with real Vermont Maple Syrup!
Ben & Jerry's Oreo Cookie ice cream
"Wild Wings" Buffalo wings with Hurt Me sauce
Domino's Pizza with Italian sausage and double cheese
Spicy Italian Sausage sandwich from a street vendor

... not necessarily all in the same meal.

This is my plan for next week!

Stitchawl
Old 07-28-2011, 10:42 PM   #609
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I want....

Clausson's Kosher Dill pickles
Hebrew National all beef hot dogs (cooked on a stick over a wood campfire
Sbarro's Pizza
A 22oz Porterhouse steak
Fresh waffles with real Vermont Maple Syrup!
Ben & Jerry's Oreo Cookie ice cream
"Wild Wings" Buffalo wings with Hurt Me sauce
Domino's Pizza with Italian sausage and double cheese
Spicy Italian Sausage sandwich from a street vendor

... not necessarily all in the same meal.

This is my plan for next week!

Stitchawl
I have the Claussen's in my fridge, and I'll join you for the 22 oz. Porterhouse, LOL.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:45 AM   #610
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I have the Claussen's in my fridge, and I'll join you for the 22 oz. Porterhouse, LOL.
The last three times I was able to get them, I kept a jar of Claussen's Kosher Dills in my hotel room while we were there! (twice in Guam and once in Florida) The only place they are available here in Japan is in the US Military commissaries on US bases, and I'm no where near one! Closest is about 10 hours drive away....

You can be sure I'm going to make up for that next week!

Stitchawl
Old 07-29-2011, 03:53 AM   #611
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion

^ Stitchawl: Have a helluva great time my friend! As the Italians say:

Mangia! Mangia! Mangia!

Old 07-29-2011, 06:53 AM   #612
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
^ Stitchawl: Have a helluva great time my friend! As the Italians say:

Mangia! Mangia! Mangia!

Thank you. I've already ordered four new pair of pants and two new pair of shorts... one size larger than I'm wearing now!

Stitchawl
Old 09-05-2011, 07:11 PM   #613
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Wow! I just opened Google Map and there are a bunch of them in that area! Thanks for the tip. We've been making a list of the different foods we want to be sure to eat while there, and this will certainly be one of them! It's funny to think we'll travel 12,000 miles for a cheeseburger! LOL!
So... cheeseburger from Five Guys
BBQ Ribs from Scruby's
Nathan's Hot Dogs at the Mall
LongHorn Steak House porterhouse 24oz.
Behia Cabana for oysters
Key West Asia House for crab...

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it! But first, Saturday night at "El Mustacho" for my birthday dinner and drunk. Besides great Mexican food, they make the very best frozen Margarita by the pitcher, and it's the one night of the year I allow myself to get drunk! My wife will have to wheel me home!

Stitchawl
OMG! We finally went to Scruby's today for Labor Day, and it was fantastic. Better than Memphis, Chattanooga, or Birmingham BBQ. And the banana split cake for dessert! Thanks so much for the recommendation!

Last edited by DixieGal; 09-05-2011 at 07:19 PM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #614
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
OMG! We finally went to Scruby's today for Labor Day, and it was fantastic. Better than Memphis, Chattanooga, or Birmingham BBQ. And the banana split cake for dessert! Thanks so much for the recommendation!
During my second-to-last visit to Ft. Lauderdale about a year ago, I ate at Scruby's EVERY DAY! I just couldn't get enough! During my last visit there this past January, I took my wife twice in one week.

I think this may replace "El Mustacho" Mexican restaurant as my #1 favorite. We have a tradition in our family of traveling to our favorite restaurant for our Birthday dinner. My wife loves a Turkish restaurant in Singapore for her birthday, and I 'had been' choosing the Mexican place. I think this year will see a change of venue...

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 09-05-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #615
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
During my second-to-last visit to Ft. Lauderdale about a year ago, I ate at Scruby's EVERY DAY! I just couldn't get enough! During my last visit there this past January, I took my wife twice in one week.

Stitchawl
We signed up for their loyalty club today. They email coupons!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote