Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-24-2019, 12:44 PM   #1
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Clara HD
Question which for text highlights?

Hi and thanks for reading my post,

would you recommend any current e-ink reader that has good text highlighting feature?
I want to transfer highlights from my e-books on the e-reader to my PC to work with. It would be nice, if I delete the highlight on the reader to see that reflected in the highlights that I can export to my PC.

Many thanks in advance for any kind help!

p
pavelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
pavelh
Zealot
pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pavelh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After more research, 94 views and no reply, let me rephrase my question:

Does anybody know of any contemporary e-reader I can export highlights from to PC, pls?

(note: not including on-line services like Amazon's, since it doesn't work for books from other resellers)

P
Advert
Old 01-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
My guess would be that Kindle is the best to do highlights on, but Kobo is the best for getting highlights, and surrounding data, to the PC.

FWIW, I do highlights and transfer to PC on both my Kobo and Pocketbook. It works not perfectly, but OK.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:58 PM   #4
pavelh
Zealot

Thank you Patrik! I will research them more.

p
Old 01-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavelh View Post
After more research, 94 views and no reply, let me rephrase my question:

Does anybody know of any contemporary e-reader I can export highlights from to PC, pls?

(note: not including on-line services like Amazon's, since it doesn't work for books from other resellers)

P
Actually, you can very easily export highlights from books from other resellers using Amazon. I send the books to my Kindle cloud using Calibre, then I can highlight and share the highlights via email. The sharing has to be done from an Android device (maybe iOS, but I'm not sure) but the highlighting and annotating can all be done on an e-ink Kindle.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2019, 01:55 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
My guess would be that Kindle is the best to do highlights on, but Kobo is the best for getting highlights, and surrounding data, to the PC.
In what way is it better than the Kindle, as a matter of interest?

On the Kindle, any text that you select gets added to a text file called "MyClippings", which you can simply copy to your PC. How does Kobo make it easier than that?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:14 AM   #7
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In what way is it better than the Kindle, as a matter of interest?

On the Kindle, any text that you select gets added to a text file called "MyClippings", which you can simply copy to your PC. How does Kobo make it easier than that?
"surrounding data"
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:25 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
"surrounding data"
Can you elaborate?
Old 01-30-2019, 07:16 AM   #9
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
"surrounding data"
Like Harry, I'm wondering what "surrounding data" can be had from the Kobo export that does not exist in the Kindle export?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:25 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

This is what you get in the "MyClippings" file when you highlight text on a Kindle:

==========
Bridge of the Separator (Turtledove, Harry)
- Your Highlight on page 12 | location 181-182 | Added on Wednesday, 30 January 2019 12:21:30

Now Rhavas and Zautzes might not be the most important, most powerful men in Skopentzana after all. That role might belong to the garrison commander.
==========

That's a simple highlight. If you highlight and add a note, then obviously the note also appears in the export.

(That was a side-loaded book originally bought from Baen, by the way, not a book bought from Amazon.)

Perhaps Patrik could provide a Kobo example for comparison?

Last edited by HarryT; 01-30-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:00 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
This is what you get in the "MyClippings" file when you highlight text on a Kindle:

==========
Bridge of the Separator (Turtledove, Harry)
- Your Highlight on page 12 | location 181-182 | Added on Wednesday, 30 January 2019 12:21:30

Now Rhavas and Zautzes might not be the most important, most powerful men in Skopentzana after all. That role might belong to the garrison commander.
==========

(That was a side-loaded book originally bought from Baen, by the way, not a book bought from Amazon.)

Perhaps Patrik could provide a Kobo example for comparison?
An example of what the Annotations plugin can get the from a Kobo is:
Code:
Chapter 26	                      04/05/2017 08:03:28
Yeah. Okay.”
♦ ♦ ♦
Arthur’s story worked—well
Different separator
The first line is the chapter the annotation is in followed by when it was made. The last line is the annotation I made. The text in between is what I highlighted in the book. The plugin has styles to show each part. The annotation support is the same for sideloaded and purchased books.

The Kindle "My Clippings.txt" file doesn't have the chapter, just the page and location. And the highlighted text and note are directly connected. In fact, I didn't know they might be connected until recently. But, I have had only one report that they are, so I am not completely sure they actually are and exactly what the rules for the connection are.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:07 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks, David - the two seem quite similar.

You're right - on a Kindle, a note (annotation) is always associated with a highlight. You can have a highlight without a note, but not a note without a highlight.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #13
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Kindle Mate makes this process much easier - matching the highlights with the notes.
https://kmate.me/
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:09 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
You're right - on a Kindle, a note (annotation) is always associated with a highlight. You can have a highlight without a note, but not a note without a highlight.
Yes, it seems obvious now, but the person who originally wrote the code to parse the My Clippings.txt file didn't handle it. And no-one has commented on the lack since. And the samples I have aren't completely consistent in showing which note goes with which highlight.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote