Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
borisb
Edge User

Post News: Barnes & Noble Nook eReader released for Android

A major update for the Nook reader for Android has been released: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phone...d-storage/4403. Most importantly you can now read your own DRM-free EPUBs by putting the book in the Nook's folder ("sideloading").

Perhaps someone can check if DRM'd EPUBs (e.g. from enTourage or other Adobe Digital Edition sites) work, too.

Last edited by borisb; 10-02-2010 at 08:38 AM.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
kenjennings
Edge User

Give it about another 15 minutes or so for someone to put the APK elsewhere.

Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
aidren
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I seem to be getting increasingly ticked at this "Android Marketplace only" schtick :P
Me too....

Old 07-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
OncTech
Edge User

Here you go: http://www.mediafire.com/?t9xydwlx2xx0227#1

Just tested it and it does work. Still tinkering with a free copy of Dracula. Animated page turning is cool, but seems to be a resource hog. There seem to be some stability issues, as it crashed on me when I flipped pages too fast (though a crash only puts you back at your library screen).

Old 07-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
pat.indie
Edge User

Thank you OncTech. Works well.

Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
ericvh
Edge User

switch the options to non-animated and it works much, much better and much more stable too.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #7
OncTech
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Kinda neat, huh? The eDGe is assimilating every other Reader out there Now if only enTourage could negotiate custom versions that work on the eInk side from each of these vendors
I was thinking that too; we're laughing on way to the bank at people like Engadget (and Apple) who gave the eDGe such a hard time. With all major book sellers onboard like this, I'm not sure there is an eBook out there we can't read in one way or another on our device. I wonder if there is a way (implemented in a later update perhaps) for the eDGe to render apps of this type on eInk without having the app modified? Like if the eInk simply ran a "clone" of the LCD display (which could then be turned off), albeit at a very slow frame-rate. Just musing.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:37 PM   #8
MichaelV
Edge User

yes, this is what we need. I also have a nook and I would love to be able to share my books between nook and edge... we need the eink working. please robot go.. you are our only hope.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
guyjack
Edge User

Is there a way to build a program that would "trick" the marketplace into thinking that the eDGe is an Android phone?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
cheyennedonna
Edge User

There is a program similar to what you are proposing, called market enabler, for rooted phones only. It works to enable the market in countries where there is no access to paid apps. I assume something similar could be developed for tablets, but the root might be a problem.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:33 PM   #11
guyjack
Edge User

What is "rooting" on Android devices?

Old 07-23-2010, 05:52 AM   #12
keng2000
Edge User

Iphone called jailbreak
Android called root

B&N downloads free epub book @ /Nook/Content
Use library and open it in eINK

Last edited by keng2000; 07-23-2010 at 06:03 AM.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #13
OncTech
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post
B&N downloads free epub book @ /Nook/Content
Use library and open it in eINK
You're right! Wow, looks like the B&N app is the first to have eInk functinality [nearly] built in.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #14
cheyennedonna
Edge User

That will work for a lot or most of the free books, but don't make the mistake of buying any from them. B & N uses an annoying form of DRM they tie into your credit card, called "social DRM". Adobe cannot open it in any other app or reader, it will say content tied to another user. Even though I own a nook I never buy from B & N (and never will until they lose that format), I just sideload my content from other bookstores using Adobe Reader.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #15
kenjennings
Edge User

I heard the Nook allows some kind of book lending of the e-books. Does this apply to the Android app? Does anyone know how it works?

(Me, just stabbing randomly in the dark.) Perhaps there may be a way to get the app to lend the book to yourself and get around the credit card/DRM issue?