Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 01-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #1
T-bag
T-bag has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.T-bag has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.T-bag has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.T-bag has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Hanlin V3
Hanlin V9 Early Review & Photos

I went back to my hometown Tianjin from the US where I spent my New Year's holiday. I got a chance to visit Jinke and saw a sample of the Hanlin V9. My first impression: so pretty! Compared to my Sony PRS-505, it's definitely bigger. The V9 also adds new functions such as WiFi, CDMA/EVDO and handwriting that can help accessing e-books, newspapers, RSS and blogs through the Internet.

Supported file formats are the same as for the V3, including various open formats such as Epub and PPT. And language support covers almost every corner of the world.

For me, the most intriguing thing is the effect of the A4 screen, allowing without zooming to display A4-sized PDF file almost as clear as on paper; only the font size may look a little small. With zoom-in (half page will be displayed on one screen), the font in turn is bigger than the original font of the paper.

The V9 also has a stylus; it realizes the click function, and allows making notes while reading.

Otherwise, the software and hardware are about the same as for the V3.

All in all, I was positively shocked by the V9 -- I believe everyone who sees it will like to get one right away.

According to Jinke, PVI can not yet mass-produce 9.7-inch displays. The MP is delayed until at least June; also the controller designed by E Ink still has a bug. Epson is busy with designing a new controller; the ASIC can be available in next month. The price is not set yet, probably somewhere between $599 and $699.

Some live photos of the V9 are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	调整大小 P1010199.JPG
Views:	5845
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	9233   Click image for larger version

Name:	调整大小 P1010200.JPG
Views:	5931
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	9234   Click image for larger version

Name:	调整大小 P1010207.JPG
Views:	6259
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	9235   Click image for larger version

Name:	调整大小 P1010208.JPG
Views:	5787
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	9236   Click image for larger version

Name:	调整大小 P1010209.JPG
Views:	5949
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	9237   Click image for larger version

Name:	调整大小 P1010201.JPG
Views:	5000
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	9238  
T-bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Thank you for posting this.

If you'll excuse me, I need to go wipe the drool off my keyboard.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 10:07 PM   #3
AnnexC
AnnexC began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Nexio S160 / Sony Librie
OMG! It's really out??? For that price??? Thank you so much for posting this. I had given up hope when I read about the delays in Jinke's website. Btw, what is MP?
AnnexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I think MP means mass production.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
mdhuang
Bookworm
mdhuang doesn't littermdhuang doesn't litter

Device: Sony CLIE NX80V, PRS-500
This thing is huge! It is almost comical to look at it side by side with the 505
mdhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2008, 11:01 PM   #6
AnnexC
AnnexC began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Nexio S160 / Sony Librie
Now that you mention it.....yeah, it does look a little big. Too bad there isn't picture of T-bag holding the V9.
AnnexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:17 PM   #7
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Nice, but even this unit will not entice me to try direct bank transfers & uncertain S/H with Jinke. If they had a US distributor who was taking credit cards, I'd be saving for one.

Andy
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
dodgyville
dodgyville began at the beginning.

Device: E65
Nice, exactly the sort of device I'm waiting for. Except I don't need touchscreen! All I want is a wifi/usb enabled device with a large screen and long battery. I just want to READ with it. I don't need to write, or sketch or doodle.
dodgyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:36 PM   #9
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Jinkies... it does look big...

On the other hand, the PRS-505 looks bigger in pictures than it is in person. If it is comparable to an A4 paper size, that's not too huge.

If only it did color...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:35 AM   #10
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
if nothing else, I'm happy to see so clearly the total lack of reflected glare in the 505, in the side-by-side photo...
e-ink for me is still THE must, more than size

Alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:17 AM   #11
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Now iRex, show us your primacy when it comes to devices with big screens.

@alexxxm: V9 HAS e-ink!

One question to T-Bag: Is it possible to make annotations directly in pdf? Thanks.

Gogolo

Last edited by Gogolo; 01-16-2008 at 05:14 AM.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:54 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
It is...

my dream...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:06 AM   #13
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Yep, I've got gadget lust. Sigh.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:51 AM   #14
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
It's size makes it less portable than the Sony Reader or the Kindle. :-(
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:03 AM   #15
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
It's size makes it less portable than the Sony Reader or the Kindle. :-(
True, but if you want to read bid pages with small letters, that will be the way to go.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote