Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
writerkit
Enthusiast
writerkit began at the beginning.

Device: none
Cover sizes vs. cover file sizes

Amazon has published recommendations for book cover dimensions of upwards of 1000 pixels in fact the recommended measurement for the long side of the cover is more than 2000 pixels.

This makes my cover's file size explode. The current one is almost 700 KB, almost 3 times the default file size in the EPUB output section of the EPUB conversion interface.

I'd rather not make two different covers for two different formats. I've simply been increasing the file size at which the book splits the image to accommodate the large cover file size when I convert to EPUB.

Is this all right? The cover seems to be displaying fine.
writerkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That size refers to the max size for html files inside the epub, it has nothing to do with covers. AS long as you select the tablet output profile int he page layout section, calibre will be happy with whatever size of cover you choose.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
cover file size, kindle cover dimensions