Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 04:30 AM   #1
ali_86
ali_86 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Unhappy epub 3 .. load image to html5 canvas ?!!

hi,
I'm tried to load an image to html5 canvas .. the page works fine on the browser and any epub reader on pc .. but on the ibooks the image doesn't appear although it defined in the .opf file !!!
ali_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
As far as I know, iBooks is not a 100% compliant ePub 3 reader... (no reader is).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
ali_86

thanks Jellby for your reply ,

so what is the best epub3 reader for Ipad ?!!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
The best EPUB 3 reader for iOS is still iBooks, but as Jelby wrote, it is not officially supporting EPUB 3.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm not sure you're going to find any reader that has full ePub3 support for iOS. And perhaps even more to the point: even if you do find one, it's almost guaranteed that anyone you might want to have read your book won't have it.

If you're just wanting to try/learn ePub3 for your own experience/education. The Lektz Reader claims to handle ePub3 (iOS, Android, Web).

I'm probably going to try out the Helicon Advanced EPUB3 Reader (currently Google Play Store-only), which claims: "Digital books reader supporting the latest EPUB3 standard."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #6
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Indeed, the reading system with more coverage of EPUB 3 is Readium, and it does not have 100% coverage of the EPUB 3 specs. (For example, the CSS 3 Speech module is not supported.) Unfortunately, you cannot install extensions in Chrome for iOS/Android, hence no Readium for iOS/Android.

Right now I work on Audio-eBooks (see my company web site to learn more), hence I have recently investigated the support of several Apps.

IDEAL Group Reader does a fairly good job, but has a lot of bugs when it comes to typographic aspects. The worst one is that it does not treat the newlines in the XHTML pages properly.

Lektz or Kobo do not support <audio>, not to mention Media Overlays. (Kobo has some "read aloud" function, but I guess it works only for their KEPUBs, and only if the device is connected to their streaming servers.)

Helicon Advanced EPUB3 Reader is atrocious w.r.t. typographical aspects.

iBooks does play <audio> and <video>, it has support for triggers and JS, but it does not support Media Overlays for reflowable books (and we all know this is just a "political" decision, to push their Fixed-Layout format).

To summarize: no app/reading system offers full EPUB 3 support right now.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the hands-on product reports. You saved me $4.98 with regard to the Helicon reader. (Actually I hear they're looking for sponsors so they can go open-source. Maybe they'll get better someday).

I'd appreciate it if someone could clarify something for me concerning iBooks. I know it does audio/video and JS, but will it actually open an ePub where the opf file is declared (and structured) as "version=3.0"? Even if it was just straight-up, plain text, will iBooks open a valid ePub3 container? I honestly don't know the answer.

People mention ePub3 features a lot, but I don't really consider an app as "supporting ePub3" (even partially) if it's simply allowing a few ePub3 features in an otherwise ePub2-compliant container.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-06-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Yes, it does.

If you want to do a quick test, download one EPUB 3 from our (demo, free) projects, for example:

1) eBook: http://www.smuuks.it/index.php/en/pr...ivina-commedia
2) Audio-eBook: http://www.smuuks.it/index.php/en/pr...f-lino-pertile

These are EPUB 3 files: they are displayed correctly in iBooks. In the case of the Audio-eBook, as noted above, since they are declared as "reflowable", Media Overlays feature does not work in iBooks, while being correctly handled in Readium.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlPe View Post
Yes, it does.

If you want to do a quick test, download one EPUB 3 from our (demo, free) projects, for example:

1) eBook: http://www.smuuks.it/index.php/en/pr...ivina-commedia
2) Audio-eBook: http://www.smuuks.it/index.php/en/pr...f-lino-pertile

These are EPUB 3 files: they are displayed correctly in iBooks. In the case of the Audio-eBook, as noted above, since they are declared as "reflowable", Media Overlays feature does not work in iBooks, while being correctly handled in Readium.
I don't have anything to run iBooks on so I couldn't really test. Now I know. iBooks truly supports ePub3 ... just not 100% of the spec. Thanks!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis

Yes, that's it.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
ali_86

thanks AlPe and DiapDealer,
I tried lekts and it is awesome but unfortunately its doesn't support making notes, highlights and share for text.

I'm working on an e learning book and I need canvas, javascript and html5 to create rich interactive ebook for since, math and social science .

I know there is a great tool like iBooks Author which has a lot of features to create rich interactive ebook but unfortunately it works on ipad and ibooks only , and the client need his book to work on any os !!! so I think epub3 is the best solution but my problem is the epub3 reader!!

I think readium is the best reader for pc but I still can't find a great epub3 reader for Ipad.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Even if you find a decent iOS ePub3 app that works for you (and the book), how is your client going to sell/distribute the book? How will they be able to indicate the pre-requisite app needed before purchase? They certainly won't be able to distribute it through any of the major channels if the book won't function with their "normal" apps/devices.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali_86 View Post
thanks AlPe and DiapDealer,
I tried lekts and it is awesome but unfortunately its doesn't support making notes, highlights and share for text.

I'm working on an e learning book and I need canvas, javascript and html5 to create rich interactive ebook for since, math and social science .

I know there is a great tool like iBooks Author which has a lot of features to create rich interactive ebook but unfortunately it works on ipad and ibooks only , and the client need his book to work on any os !!! so I think epub3 is the best solution but my problem is the epub3 reader!!

I think readium is the best reader for pc but I still can't find a great epub3 reader for Ipad.
There is no app for the iPad that does ePub 3. There are hardly any Readers that do ePub 3. Your client is going to have you make an eBook that cannot be sold. There's no market for ePub 3 as there's no place to actually view it. If you make it for iBooks, then you'll at least be able to sell it through Apple. But otherwise, all you are doing is wasting your time and the client's money.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote