Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Changes in Amazon 'personal document' upload?

I've been using Calibre to convert various books into 'mobi' and then mailing them to my free.kindle.com address to add them as 'personal documents'. This has been working well for a long time, but today it appears not to be working!

I get an irate reply from Amazon saying that 'the following document could not be delivered', and it doesn't appear in the 'personal document' listing.

Is this a temporary glitch or a change in policy?
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I am sure it is a temp glitch. I've had it happen before occasionally. I had Calibre send my news this morning, with no problem. I would suggest you convert mobi to mobi and try again.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #3
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Hmmm. I've tried again. (Downloaded the latest version of Calibre, and the Hunting of the Snark from Gutenberg.)
Still no luck.

Will try again tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Popup: If you're sending anything remotely looking like it's KF8 (AZW3 or mobi new, sometimes even mobi both), that's what you'll get. This Amazon service still only supports 'old' mobi .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Popup
Zealot

Good call!

I did indeed reconfigure Calibre to use 'new mobi', as I assumed that would be best suited for the Paperwhite.

I'll try using 'old' setting.
Advert
Old 11-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Popup
Zealot

And it works!

Thanks NiLuJe!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #7
n808
n808 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hmm, I transferred all my books to my paperwhite via USB. About 30-40% have been classified as Personal Documents and have gotten the "Personal" banner. The rest have been classified as books.

Maybe I should start using the cloud instead, since the Paperwhite has less memory and will no longer fit all my books. Where is the option "new or old mobi"?
n808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by n808 View Post
Hmm, I transferred all my books to my paperwhite via USB. About 30-40% have been classified as Personal Documents and have gotten the "Personal" banner. The rest have been classified as books.

Maybe I should start using the cloud instead, since the Paperwhite has less memory and will no longer fit all my books. Where is the option "new or old mobi"?
Under Mobi options in Calibre's conversion window. The banner happens if the book has a pdoc tag attach to it. I find it best to use the cloud because it backs up all my bookmarks, notes...etc to Amazon's server. I can then sync to other Kindle devices and pick up where I left off.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #9
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Can you configure Calibre to not include the PDOC flag, so that books sent via the Sned To Kindle do not have the Personal banner on them?

If so, are there any downsides to doing so?

R
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've been using USB to add books to my Paperwhite, too, as I don't want to expand my archive with personal docs (I have a separate account and device for those).

Yes you can set up Calibre to not add the personal docs tag. I'll look at Calibre later and post how, unless someone beats me to it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Robmonster: No, Send To Kindle (I'm assuming you meant the e-mail delivery service/browser plugins) will *always* imply getting a PDOC, AFAIK.

If you meant Calibre's Send To device, then yes, check the mobi output settings, and make sure the pdoc tag is *NOT* part of the tags of your book(s).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:03 PM   #12
n808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
[...] I find it best to use the cloud because it backs up all my bookmarks, notes...etc to Amazon's server. I can then sync to other Kindle devices and pick up where I left off.
Have you run into a limit to how many / GB you can send to the cloud?

These don't show seem to up in the "cloud" accessed via https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive so I don't know how much space I have used...

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
n808

Never mind, found the answer (and the books I have emailed so far) in Manage My Kindle on amazon.com. The limit is 5GB. Emailing is awfully slow, but calibre keeps going one by one... till it's done. Using Reading List to keep track of which I have emailed and not.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by n808 View Post
Never mind, found the answer (and the books I have emailed so far) in Manage My Kindle on amazon.com. The limit is 5GB. Emailing is awfully slow, but calibre keeps going one by one... till it's done. Using Reading List to keep track of which I have emailed and not.
I use Send to Kindle to upload mine it's one at a time but it's faster than email.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #15
n808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I use Send to Kindle to upload mine it's one at a time but it's faster than email.
Now I am confused.. If you use "Send to Kindle", does it not just transfer directly via USB and not via (and therefore a copy in) the cloud?

Tags
calibre, mobi, personal document