Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
Samien
Samien began at the beginning.

Device: ipad2
Calibre Hangs on Convert.

I just updated to windows 8.11 version and it started hanging the moment I click convert.

I dug a little deeper and if I click preferences, I can modify the input option, but as soon as I click output option the program hangs. I tried running it in debug mode for 10 minutes and got nothing other than...

"Starting up...Started up in 1.1899998188"

I've been happily plodding along with calibre for many versions. I tried rolling back to previous 8.x versions and even a few 7.x versions but no dice.

I've completely uninstalled (although I don't know if there are any residual registry entries after an uninstall that I need to wipe out.)

I'll be bummed if I can't get this working again.

Windows 7 Enterprise
Core i7 2.9
6gigs of Ram
Geforce 580gt
8Tbs of HDD space

In case any of that helps.
Samien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
10 minutes is nothing on some (really nasty coded) converts.
Some go 10 HOURS, Some even go as long as 24 Hours.
Note: these are unusual, but unless Calibre pops an Error, let them run until done.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 03:07 PM   #3
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Do I understand you correctly in that you can switch any option in the conversion dialog but the output format? Are you able to start a conversion with the default output format selected? What does the preferred format order preference (preferences->behaviour) show?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Go to preferences->look & feel and set your interface font to something standard like verdana or helvetica
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
Samien
Samien began at the beginning.

Device: ipad2
Kovidgoyal.....that fixed it....it was set to a Microsoft standard font. I switched it to Verdana and it works like a charm.

Manichean...to answer your question, here is what I could do.

hit preferences > input options.....the menu would pop up.

hit preferences > common options...the menu would pop up.

hit preferences > output options...the entire program would freeze and go into (not responding)

the error would also occur if I simply hit the CONVERT BOOKS icon on the top menu bar...I am assuming because it accessed the output options portion of the code.

But switching the font as directed fixed it right up and I am good to go.

Thanks all for the help.
Samien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert