Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #16
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Boot time:
From standby, it's 15s.
Does it really have a standby mode? I thought it was totally switched off like the Gen 3.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:23 PM   #17
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
Does it really have a standby mode? I thought it was totally switched off like the Gen 3.
Honestly, I'm not sure yet.
There's no menu, so you just can push the on/off button.
But my guess would be, it doesn't really entirely switch off but goes into standby.
Anyway, that's the only mode I've found so far (will read the user guide tonight), so it takes 15s to start, whether it boots up or just resumes from standby.
(Would the units really switch off, they shouldn't drain the batteries that fast. That's why I assume, that most of the units only go into standby.)

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-31-2009 at 05:25 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:24 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
The form of the device isn't really suited for a cover. It has those nicely curved corners and such.

And why would you start a class action suit?
Without a proper cover, the Opus is at more risk of damage from being dropped. So I'm just waiting for people to get an Opus and drop it and break it because it has no cover and thus possible could damage more easily.

And the class action suit was not meant to be serious. But the way people are today, it's not totally unlikely.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-31-2009 at 06:27 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #19
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well...it's official.
I don't like it. Not at all:
- The jogdial (select) is extremely flimsy.
- The design is mediocre = "plasticky".
- It hung itself when connecting to my UMPC at least 5 times. Doesn't happen with Sony and the others.
- ADE still doesn't show any of the Micro SD cards I've been using. Sony 505 and 700 still show internal memory AND both memory cards, so it can't be my UMPC.
- Display quality is at the lower end, maybe even to Sony 700. The cover graphics and smaller fonts are kind of faded out.
I'll retry in a few days. But if my momentary feeling remains, I won't use it. So far, it feels like a beta release...
And my iMac doesn't even recognise it, so I can't test ADE on MacOS...

UPDATE:

With Micro SD card inserted, it's not recognised on iMac. WITHOUT SD card, it's working. Obviously, instability and low performance is because of Micro SD card.
I've tried a few ones, so it can't be a specific defective one.
Of course it would be helpful, if the manual would specify the limitations of SD cards.
Proactively, I've tried an old 1GB card, though. No difference.
So I might have a defective unit or a buggy firmware.....

BUT: I ABSOLUTELY WANT TO LOVE IT. So I won't give up that easily...
5" definitely has its charm...

FINAL UPDATE:
Usually, I'm one of the few who doesn't like reflow and ePUB and surprisingly enough is okay with PDF.
Here it's totally different. As described before: In PDFs, I don't find the "right" zooming level. Either it's still too big or it's "fading out".
"Fading", which I didn't recognise at first, as it doesn't reflow PDFs but simply zooms them.

ePUBs have way better results. I'd expected a bit more, given the smaller screen/same resolution = higher dpi scenario.
When forgetting about my (too) high expectations and looking at it neutrally, for ePUBs it's a very nice and convenient unit.

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-31-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:56 PM   #20
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I suppose th 1G card was non-SDHC so you have tested both SDHC and non-SDHC card?
Old 07-31-2009, 08:01 PM   #21
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Yeah, if it sucks so bad, since you got it today, maybe you should just send it back. If the screen is as bad as 700 and you rate the 700 screen the worse of the bunch, use the money for one of the other ones that seems more promising . Bro, you are good sport and all, and it's not like you return everything , you have 8 of them, it's close to 300 dollars , I'd return it and say it's defective and too flimsy for you.
You can keep it and stuff it in draw or maybe wait for update, check your return policy!
You are our resident ereader tester!

Last edited by richman; 07-31-2009 at 08:04 PM.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:02 PM   #22
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
I suppose th 1G card was non-SDHC so you have tested both SDHC and non-SDHC card?
Yes.
With 1GB and 2GB it's recognised.
Obviously, SDHC isn't working at all and there's a 2GB limit.
I can live with that. 2GB should be plenty and you always can carry a 2nd card.
BUT: It's visible on iMac and PC, but not in ADE.
I manually can copy to the SD card, but that's no solution of course.

UPDATE: Just checked the ePUB user guide: No SDHC support...

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-31-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:05 PM   #23
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by richman View Post
Yeah, if it sucks so bad, since you got it today, maybe you should just send it back. If the screen is as bad as 700 and you rate the 700 screen the worse of the bunch. Bro, you are good sport and all, and it's not like you return everything , you have 8 of them, it's close to 300 dollars , I'd return it and say it's defect and too flimsy for you.
You can keep it and stuff it in draw or maybe wait for update, check your return policy!
You are our resident ereader tester!
I won't give up, yet.
I'll try for the rest of the night. If I'm still not successful, I'll try again in a few days.
Concerning the display quality, I have to check more material. Maybe it's just PDFs. But for checking material, I'd like to solve the SD card issue...
Cybook Gen3 is an okay unit, so I just don't want to believe, that their new model should really suck...

And: It's probably a bad comparison, to rank Opus with Sony 700.
Sony 700 I'd describe as "washed out". It's like looking through "milky glass", which we kind of do because of the touchscreen layer.
Cybook Opus I'd describe as "faded out". Maybe similar to an inkjet printer which is out of ink (or at least short of ink).
Meaning: It's as "bad" as Sony 700 (which still is good, in standalone comparison to Notebooks for example), but it's "another kind of bad"...

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-31-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:15 PM   #24
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Cybook Opus I'd describe as "faded out". Maybe similar to an inkjet printer which is out of ink (or at least short of ink).
Do you have the embolden feature?

It sound like the font is to thin for the size of the letters.

Last edited by tompe; 07-31-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:19 PM   #25
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Boot time:
From standby, it's 15s.
With how many books? One issue with the Gen3 is that it took forever to start up with hundreds of books, but it wasn't so bad if you only had a few.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:03 PM   #26
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
With how many books? One issue with the Gen3 is that it took forever to start up with hundreds of books, but it wasn't so bad if you only had a few.
150 ePUBs and PDFs.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:04 PM   #27
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Do you have the embolden feature?

It sound like the font is tothin for the size of the letters.
Embolden feature? I don't think so. Does Cybook Gen3 have such a feature?
It's exactly as you describe. The 5 smallest fonts "fade out". There's no feature to embolden the font or change in any other way. At least I wouldn't know where to find that...

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-31-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:32 PM   #28
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Embolden feature? I don't think so. Does Cybook Gen3 have such a feature?
Yes, it is in the layout menu I think. It is very useful when the light is bad.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:04 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can you get a photo of the screen of the Opus so we can see how it looks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:10 PM   #30
mgmueller
Member Retired

PDF and EPUB

PDF does NOT reflow, it uses zoom levels:
Fit page, fit width, fit height, 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, 90% 100%.
If you zoom bigger than the actual screen, you can pan with the select key.
Actually, I prefer zoom over reflow, for keeping the layout intact.
On iRex iLiad, I can zoom any area I want.
Here I only can zoom the entire page.

EPUB DOES reflow.

For a unit that small and given the fixed zoom levels, I prefer reflow and will focus on EPUB.

And: About 90% of the cover's thumbnails in PDFs are defect, look kind of "distorted".

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-31-2009 at 10:53 PM.

Tags
cybook, opus