Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
abreser
abreser began at the beginning.

Device: none
validation error help in lay terms

Hello Sigilers,
Please help this inexperienced Sigil editor who has very little knowledge of HTML with this validation error:
"The <reference> element's "type" attribute has value "copyright" which is not an OPF-specified value. Either use a predefined type or start your type with "other."."
I'm trying to correct epubs that were created by a conversion company. I'm starting to suspect that the validation errors I'm finding when using Sigil are caused by the conversion company.
Any help would be much appreciated.
abreser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Change where it says Copyright to Copyright-Page.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Change where it says Copyright to Copyright-Page.
...and your conversion company is in India. ;-) It's a common error with Indian-made ePUBs. I don't know why, but naming the guide items correctly seems to be a huge issue with them. Look for other odd naming conventions; and check their naming conventions against this: http://idpf.org/epub/20/spec/OPF_2.0...htm#Section2.6 to cover your butt.

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
...and your conversion company is in India. ;-) It's a common error with Indian-made ePUBs. I don't know why, but naming the guide items correctly seems to be a huge issue with them. Look for other odd naming conventions; and check their naming conventions against this: http://idpf.org/epub/20/spec/OPF_2.0...htm#Section2.6 to cover your butt.

HTH,
Hitch
Are these the same idiots that put a link to the internal ToC in the NCX and also put in the internal ToC?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Are these the same idiots that put a link to the internal ToC in the NCX and also put in the internal ToC?
Actually, Wolfie:

Although I know that this is your personal pet peeve, I have to tell you that now that Amazon accepts ePUB as source material, you will be seeing more and more of it. We provide conversion for publishers and aggregators, and they neither like nor want dual books; they want a single ePUB that meets both ePUB and MOBI standards. In order to provide an ePUB that meets MOBI standards when converted, you have to have an HTML TOC linked via the Guide; and as it is in its own file, like any other section, we do put the TOC in the NCX, ourselves.

Moreover--before you start--I'd note that the 2.01 OPF Spec lists a TOC entry, and that's NOT for the NCX, as we all know. It's for an internal, HTML TOC. Clearly, the existence of an HTML TOC is not merely contemplated by spec but supported. AND, on top of all that, the ePUB3.0 working document states:

Quote:
Every EPUB Publication defines at least one such logical ordering of all its top-level content (the spine [Publications30]), as well as a declarative table of contents (the EPUB Navigation Document [ContentDocs30]). Publications make these data structures available in a machine-readable way external to the content, simplifying their discovery and use. (bold and red emphasis added)
So it's clear, from the text, that ePUB isn't moving away from a declarative TOC, but rather, toward it (and let's not forget that 3.0 also says we're moving away from the NCX and toward the NavDocument). The "Navigation Document," if you've read that spec, is patently what we refer to today as an HTML TOC.

So you can call them--or me, for that matter--"idiots" all you want, but while you may have the luxury of making ePUBs precisely as you like them, for your own use, not everyone has that privilege. My company has to make ePUBs that meet the spec, and work on platforms like Apple (which uses the HTML TOC--NOT the ncx, at all, mind you). I have to make books for people that, quite reasonably, want ONE book that they can upload everywhere. So do the Indians, I'd imagine. I personally prefer only using the NCX--but my iPad doesn't support that. My Nook does. My Kindle Fire doesn't, but is moving toward it, and my K2 doesn't at all, obviously. It's clear from the 3.0 Working Group that we are moving TO a more-functional, defined "HTML TOC" that works somewhat like an NCX--in other words, is both human- and machine-readable, which is the current "glitch" in the proceedings.

I mean, really--not to sound ever-so-slightly-exasperated, but why don't you go volunteer with the IDPF working groups and take it up WITH THEM? Everyone here knows all too well how you feel about HTML TOCs, and quite honestly, it's a bit RABID for something so minor. For the love of heaven, if you don't LIKE an HTML TOC, don't USE IT.

In the interim, while you go sort them out and put them in their places, if you would, please, I will just shlub along here and do what my clients pay me to do. WITH the satanic HTML TOC's, if that's what they want.

Affectionately, really,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The issue is that the internal ToC (of an ePub) currently is useless. There's no easy way to get to it. The NCX has an easy way to get to it. But why would we then want to go from the NCX to an internal ToC. We only need one ToC as long as there is an easy way to get to it. It doesn't matter if it is internal or external as long as it's just one and there is an external link to get to it.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
The issue is that the internal ToC (of an ePub) currently is useless. There's no easy way to get to it. The NCX has an easy way to get to it. But why would we then want to go from the NCX to an internal ToC. We only need one ToC as long as there is an easy way to get to it. It doesn't matter if it is internal or external as long as it's just one and there is an external link to get to it.
Lots of reasons: Just 1
Chapter 1 "He was a cold and Stormy Knight"

Not the styled text that is not allowed in the NCX,

Multi-line (per chapter) TOC

Once again, your personal tastes don't rule what others might want (OMG they put a pink Bidet in the TOC )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Lots of reasons: Just 1
Chapter 1 "He was a cold and Stormy Knight"

Not the styled text that is not allowed in the NCX,

Multi-line (per chapter) TOC

Once again, your personal tastes don't rule what others might want (OMG they put a pink Bidet in the TOC )
But to get to that ToC, you have to go to the NCX and then if there is a Contents link, then you can go there. Otherwise, it's not easy to get to the internal ToC. Most eBooks I've read, the internal ToC adds nothing that I'm not already getting from the NCX.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Most eBooks I've read, the internal ToC adds nothing that I'm not already getting from the NCX.
Yep. All the more reason you should be able to easily ignore it, then. Because while it might be "adding nothing" to your personal ePub experience, nor is it taking anything away from it.

Let. It. Go.

...woosah...
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
But to get to that ToC, you have to go to the NCX and then if there is a Contents link, then you can go there. Otherwise, it's not easy to get to the internal ToC. Most eBooks I've read, the internal ToC adds nothing that I'm not already getting from the NCX.
Which is why I put it at the END. It is there for those who must have it that way, but I can simply stop at the end of the story
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote