Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
AndyfromVA
Zealot
AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndyfromVA ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook 1E, K3, K4, Paperwhite 2
Nook 2

Does anyone know anything about a possible Nook 2? Is it in the cards?

I've owned the Nook since July. While I really like it I'm jealous of the pearl screen, quick operation, light weight and long battery life of the Kindle 3. When I heard that Barnes and Noble was coming out with a new product I thought it would be the Nook 2. But, unfortunately from my perspective, it was the Nook Color, which I have no interest in.

So I'm back to square one. I'd like an ereader with many of the aspects of the Kindle 3 but I'd like it to be compatible with public library ebooks, like the Nook. I'm hoping the Nook 2 will incorporate some of these Kindle 3 advantages. But if Barnes and Noble doesn't intend to release the Nook 2 soon, I might decide to go for a Kindle 3 if I can get one cheap this holiday season.

Should I wait for a Nook 2 or go for a Kindle 3?
AndyfromVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
bugeyed
Connoisseur
bugeyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 2, PRS-600
Before you jump to a Kindle, I would suggest you compare the Nook screen with a K3 side by side. I have heard that the Pearl is nice, but not as huge an improvement as advertised. Brightly lit store displays can make a product look wonderful, but most people don't read in that environment. BTW fw release 1.5 is supposed to speed up the Nook, but I don't think it is going to get any lighter. I weight is a big deal, get the Kindle. I don't think a Nook2 would be lighter than a Kindle because of the LCD screen.

Cheers,
kev
bugeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Quantalume
Quantalume began at the beginning.

Device: nook wifi
There is a recent thread on this board where at least one user found reading on the nook's screen easier than the Kindle 3. Contrast isn't everything. I'm reminded of those yellow legal pads which are supposedly easier on the eyes because there is less contrast between the background and the writing. The nook may be a little heavier, but have you ever gotten tired of holding it? I haven't. At any rate, I'd wait for the 1.5 firmware release before making a decision.
Quantalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I took my nook in to compare side by side with the K3 and the pearl screen is a minor upgrade at best. Not something I would jump to a new device for. There really isn't much wrong with the nook that the K3 fixes. Screens on both are easy to read with. The K3 has better battery life, but honestly the 4-5 days I get from my nook are plenty. The K3 is lighter, but also feels cheaper and more flimsy.

I hope B&N does a new eink device at some point, but the current nook is pretty special and gets so much right I can deal with the few minor issues it has. The kindle has the biggest issue of any device out there, no ePub support.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
crazyknitter42
crazyknitter42 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Does anyone know when the Nook update is suppose to come out?
crazyknitter42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have both the Kindle3 & the NOOK. I don't notice much difference between the screens. Though I have noticed some books are harder to read on both screens.

And after having my Kindle for awhile I've noticed the page turns seem to be slowing down????? So there really isn't that much difference between the two.

The Kindle is definitely lighter, but I don't have much difficulty holding the NOOK all that long ( I do have neuropathy in my shoulders that goes down my arms to my wrists, so if it were a problem I'd notice)

I prefer the touch page turn & the touch keyboard over the Kindle. But I've learned to use both easily.

I do like the longer battery life with the Kindle.

Both are great e-readers & I don't think you can go wrong with either. But if library books are a must, then the NOOK is the one you should stay with.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #7
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Consider looking at the new Sonys, the 350 and the 650. Pearl screen, super-light and small (in fact the 350 is TINY), the touch screen is fantastic. Access to library books. No connectivity at all, only side-loading via USB (but you have to do that for library books even on Nook, right?) The price is definitely too high, but there are some good deals going right now on B&H, and I think there is a sale at SonyStyle starting tomorrow? Anyway, you can find some deals if you look around. But DON'T go for the 300 or 600, I think those have a worse screen than the Nook.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote