Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 07-27-2022, 07:06 AM   #1
lmorse
lmorse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Newbie Windows Calibre Server Setup issues

Hi,

I am using Windows 11 Home (version 21H2 Build 22000.832), running Calibre Version 6.1. I have McAfee Total Protection and have disabled the firewall.

I am trying to set up the Calibre server but am having no luck connecting from the internet at all. I believe I have followed the instructions.

I am able to connect to the library server from the PC running the server, but only through my PC IP address e.g. 192.186.xx.xx:8080. I cannot connect from 127.0.0.1:8080, and I cannot connect via my external PC IP address from this PC (which I have looked up from https://whatismyipaddress.com/).

I am able to connect via the internal IP address from other devices on the same Wifi network, but not the external IP address.

I have tried using the format: http://usernameassword@XXX.XXX.xx.xx:8080

I have added my PC to my Google Nest Wifi to Port Forwarding with port 8080.

Any other pointers?
lmorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:36 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
McAfee
You did say the LAN (192) side connection worked from other local devices? That rules out the firewall .

When you tried from the WAN side, where were you? Some ISP do not allow a looped back connection. You must use a different connection (4/5G data on your phone ?)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2022, 06:38 PM   #3
lmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
McAfee
You did say the LAN (192) side connection worked from other local devices? That rules out the firewall .

When you tried from the WAN side, where were you? Some ISP do not allow a looped back connection. You must use a different connection (4/5G data on your phone ?)
Hi,

Yes the wireless LAN works, but the WAN does not: I tried using both my phone, iPad and Kindle with the wLAN turned off using only mobile data. I could not connect that way.

I am using a VPN (obviously my IP changes when in use), I have tried with the VPN both on and off, using the different IP address each gives me, but still no luck.

Why do you not like McAfee - what would you suggest and why?

Last edited by lmorse; 07-27-2022 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:09 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmorse View Post
Hi,

Yes the wireless LAN works, but the WAN does not: I tried using both my phone, iPad and Kindle with the wLAN turned off using only mobile data. I could not connect that way.

I am using a VPN (obviously my IP changes when in use), I have tried with the VPN both on and off, using the different IP address each gives me, but still no luck.

Why do you not like McAfee - what would you suggest and why?
Even the creator hated what it became. Overly invasive. Makes it hard to do what you are doing (I suspect not all the firewall is off).
Norton is a close second on my Avoid list. (It used to be good before it wore the Yellow Box.

Defender serves me well, but I practice safe surfing (check the links shonn on the status bar, before clicking. Avoid dodgy type sites. YMMV)
Old 07-27-2022, 07:16 PM   #5
lmorse

Thanks for your suggestions.

Any further ideas about my server issue?
Advert
Old 07-27-2022, 07:40 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions.

Any further ideas about my server issue?
Unfortunately, no.
Having the server on WiFi just adds complexity. I love my CAT6 connections for all stationary items. You need to find where things are getting blocked (I suspect the ISP because the LAN works)
What brand and model ROUTER (where you made the port forward)
There may be someone here familiar with that unit.

Some routers need 3 entries:
1) The service (the Calibre server IPort)
2) the forward port > service
3) Schedule (what hours allowed, restrict to from IP (block)...) This is where you can do a simple disable, leaving the rest set up.

Another tip: reserve the IP issued by DHCP, so the server keeps the same always.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:56 PM   #7
lmorse

Quote:

What brand and model ROUTER (where you made the port forward)
There may be someone here familiar with that unit.
I have just started using Google Nest Wifi with 2 attached Google extension points.
Old 07-27-2022, 08:54 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm thinking McAfee Total Protection could be blocking. I suggest disabling it completely and trying again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 09:20 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm thinking McAfee Total Protection could be blocking. I suggest disabling it completely and trying again.
He said LOCAL (192.x.x.x) works or I would agree.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:20 PM   #10
lmorse

Quote:
He said LOCAL (192.x.x.x) works or I would agree.
Yes, local works if I turn off firewall.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:53 PM   #11
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
And here the root of your problem, never use google wifi.

You will need to read the manual for your wifi many times to just figure out what questions to ask.

Many consumer grade routers now disable what should be basic functions of router, such as wifi and wired lan are the same. blocking common ports used for home servers.

The first thing you have to solve is to get your wifi and wired lan talking to each other. Next try using a different port for your calibre server--I use 9095.**

bernie

**you can try the different port first.

This may help you:
Bridge mode

Quote:
Bridge mode is only needed when encountering specific cases of double NAT. For most people, double NAT does not affect Wi-Fi performance. However, it can be an issue if you play online games or use IP address assignments, port forwarding rules or Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).

Quote:
I have just started using Google Nest Wifi with 2 attached Google extension points.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:13 AM   #12
lmorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
And here the root of your problem, never use google wifi.

This may help you:
Bridge mode
This sounds like I am out of luck then. I have a Google Wifi Mesh and it is not advisable to use bridge mode.
Old 07-28-2022, 10:41 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Doesn't 'Bridge mode' mean "I will use my own router. just pass the IP thru" (make like a Modem only)?
I'm not up on 'Mesh' tech, but every hop has to introduce *if's* into the picture. CAT5/6 to the main router

BTW getting off of port 8080 is a great plan for many reasons.
One being: Your TOU may prohibit running 'Internet servers' on a residential account and those ports are automatically blocked.

Another is the trolls poll the common ports. My early (calibre server) logs showed many 'attempts' to access.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:30 PM   #14
lmorse

Quote:
Doesn't 'Bridge mode' mean "I will use my own router. just pass the IP thru" (make like a Modem only)?
I'm not up on 'Mesh' tech, but every hop has to introduce *if's* into the picture. CAT5/6 to the main router
Im not sure I understand much of this. Are you saying there may be a solution yet? From my 5 seconds of research it looks like bridge mode will disable the mesh?

This from the Bridge Mode link above
Quote:
"Bridge mode will only work if you’re using a single Wi-Fi device. If you want to create a mesh network with multiple devices, your router or primary Wifi point cannot be in Bridge mode."
My main Google Nest WiFi point is in our garage, it would be highly impractical to run a cable through the house to it (about 35 meters away, I'd have to run cables through the roof)
Old 07-28-2022, 07:48 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Im not sure I understand much of this. Are you saying there may be a solution yet? From my 5 seconds of research it looks like bridge mode will disable the mesh?

This from the Bridge Mode link above

My main Google Nest WiFi point is in our garage, it would be highly impractical to run a cable through the house to it (about 35 meters away, I'd have to run cables through the roof)
Easier than that for a test. Move the server to the Garage
If that works, then go to the effort of CAT6

Could you add your country to your profile. It helps with various cross locale diagnostics.

Tags
calibre, server