Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-19-2019, 03:24 AM   #1
rtiangha
Connoisseur
rtiangha has met Morla.rtiangha has met Morla.rtiangha has met Morla.rtiangha has met Morla.rtiangha has met Morla.rtiangha has met Morla.rtiangha has met Morla.rtiangha has met Morla.rtiangha has met Morla.rtiangha has met Morla.rtiangha has met Morla.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Converting EPWING dictionaries to Kobo dictionary format?

One of the things I've been trying to figure out is how to convert some of the JPNS-ENG and ENG-JPNS EPWING dictionaries that I have to whatever format is used in a Kobo dictionary. I guess my struggle is in understanding the Kobo dictionary format and what makes it special.

The epwing2kindle instructions seems to be a good starting point in extracting useful information from those EPWING files without relying on the ancient and unmaintained libeb library (the bulk of the work is done by Zero-EPWING which translates the EPWING entries into JSON format).

I guess my question is: Is there anything in that pipeline that is useful and can be redirected to something like Penelope or similar that can be used to generate a Kobo friendly dictionary file? Or can anyone enlighten me on the Kobo dictionary format itself and what makes it different or special? While it's probably not trivial, it should be possible to write some middleware that can translate the dictionary entries between the two formats.

Last edited by rtiangha; 05-19-2019 at 03:33 AM.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote