Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-16-2019, 07:24 PM   #1
VE9GJ
VE9GJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Kobo Glo Multitouch

Hi

I just got a hand-me down Kobo Glo that I would like to use to read scanned pdfs. It would be sooo much better if it would pinch /zoom etc. Firmware is 4.13.12638. I found a few old pages on patching the Glo with much older firmware.

So..
Is this possible with recent firmware?

Can firmware be downgraded to a much older version that had patches for multitouch?

Should i just forget about it.

BTW I am a seasoned Linux user just not sure what my options are.

TIA
Glenn
VE9GJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
From memory, no version of firmware for the Glo has supported multi-touch. I'm pretty sure that multi-touch is only supported in the more recent devices using capacitive touch, not the IR touch based devices like the Glo.

If you do want to run older firmware, downgrading to it firmware is easy and has been discussed many times in this forum.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2019, 09:38 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From memory, no version of firmware for the Glo has supported multi-touch. I'm pretty sure that multi-touch is only supported in the more recent devices using capacitive touch, not the IR touch based devices like the Glo.

If you do want to run older firmware, downgrading to it firmware is easy and has been discussed many times in this forum.
I think he may be referring to giorgio130's two finger light control kernel modification from about 6 years ago. If so, AFAIR, firmwares 3.1.1 and 3.2.0 were the only supported version by the original author though I vaguely remember someone doing a Glo only version for a slightly later firmware version.

If anyone is interested, check Two-fingers light control on older models - done for more information. The github page hasn't been touched Feb, 2014.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:58 AM   #4
VE9GJ
VE9GJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Yes that is one of the pages I found (Two-fingers light control on older models - done) along with Kobo Glo firmware 3.3.0, kobohack, libnickel, multitouch, fullscreen
So it looks like it may be possible to revert to 3.3.0 firmware and apply the 2014 patch to get the proper kernel that supports multitouch and make sure it never updates the firmware. I don't use wifi and only use Calibre on Linux with it so that should be OK. Not sure of any features / bug fixes I would loose by going back to older firmware. I only intend to use it to read my own scanned pdfs (Old Magazines) loaded with Calibre and nothing else.
It would be easier to just buy a recent Kobo but it is more of a can it be done challenge now.

Thanks!

Glenn
VE9GJ is offline   Reply With Quote