Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-05-2019, 05:42 PM   #1
dmevis
Enthusiast
dmevis began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Change from Nook to Kobo?

I am currently using a Nook Glowlight 3. I love the ability to change the screen color, but find it is incredibly slow to do anything other than turn pages. That is, moving between screens is painfully slow, and sometimes locks up the device.

While I generally love Amazon, I am not thrilled about most of their Kindle devices or their closed environment. So I am considering one of the Kobo devices. Are the Kobo devices able to process more quickly than my Nook?

I have about 300 .epub books. Any particular issues with moving to a Kobo?
dmevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 03:22 PM   #2
gldnbrwncouches
gldnbrwncouches doesn't littergldnbrwncouches doesn't litter

Device: Nook ST, Nook ST w/Glowlight, Nook Glowlight Plus, Kobo Forma
I recently made the switch from a Nook Glowlight Plus to a Kobo Forma. Not an "apples-to-apples" kind of comparison as the Forma is definitely intended to be a more premium device, comparable to something like the Kindle Oasis. I'm very pleased with the responsiveness of the device and love the added features Kobo has like checking library books out on the device itself rather than having to sideload.

I also demoed a Kobo Aura at a Walmart recently (more comparable to the Nook) and the responsiveness seemed on par with my Forma, though I didn't have it on hand to compare side by side. If you have a Walmart nearby with one on display (good luck) I'd go demo it as current Kobo devices all act very similarly and use nearly identical firmware at the moment. That should give you a good idea of how well it might work for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevis View Post
I have a collection around 500 I keep on my Kobo and the book management is excellent (sorting options, collections/shelves, etc). The Glowlight Plus, admittedly an older device than my Kobo, can't even hold a candle to it.

If you're looking for a device that is most comparable to the Nook Glowlight 3, I think the Kobo Clara HD is what you're looking for. I've been told before that the Nook has superior display contrast and better text layout, but to me, it's not better enough that I would choose the Nook over a Kobo at this point.

Hope that helps!
gldnbrwncouches is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2019, 05:02 PM   #3
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 4, 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos
I am not discouraging you about getting a Kobo device, but if your Nook is locking up, there is something WRONG with your Nook. So, you might want to do a little research on it to figure out ways to speed it up. If nothing else, it could become your backup device. I, for instance, would never take my Voyage on an ER run or stay at the hospital. I'm less concerned about it walking away than being dropped to the floor. The ER guy tells me a lot of devices die that way there. Not much softer than stone when something hits it.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:47 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a Glowlight 3 and it's been pretty trouble-free. With the latest firmware update it has plenty of storage. As Tarana said, I'd look into figuring out what's wrong.

I also have a Kobo although it's an older one, but I've helped a couple of neighbors with their newer Kobos. I personally find the Glowlight 3 to be the superior device.

My main reading devices are Kindles and I don't find their closed system any more restrictive than that of the Nook or Kobo. I think Kindle hardware is very good, although I think the Nook is generally better, and the Kindles have the best firmware by far.

I suggest making your Glowlight work and if you still want something else don't close off your options. These are all really good devices.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmevis View Post
I am currently using a Nook Glowlight 3. I love the ability to change the screen color, but find it is incredibly slow to do anything other than turn pages. That is, moving between screens is painfully slow, and sometimes locks up the device.

While I generally love Amazon, I am not thrilled about most of their Kindle devices or their closed environment. So I am considering one of the Kobo devices. Are the Kobo devices able to process more quickly than my Nook?
I have a Kobo Aura and several Nooks (including the Glowlight Plus and Glowlight 3) and overall, I like my Kobo better. Lots of little things like being able to add different fonts (I like Google's Literata Book font) and a more customizable interface (want to make the top page back and the bottom page forward? You can do that) and having the book cover appear as the sleep screen.

Like you, my Glowlight is slow when doing anything other than turning pages (though never so slow it locks up). Maybe we both got a bad software update. But if so, how do you correct that? Your guess is as good as mine.

My Glowlight Plus is faster than my Glowlight 3 and they both use the same software.

At any rate, my five year old Kobo Aura is faster than my Glowlight 3.

If you get a Kobo, the closest match will be the Clara HD. It has the same high resolution screen and color changing frontlight. You won't have the page turn buttons though.

And Clara (and most current readers) use capacitive touch screens, while the Glowlight 3 doesn't. So the Glowlight 3 will have a slightly better looking screen (for all their mistakes, the Glowlight 3 screen looks fantastic). I also do think that Nook's layout tends to look a little better than Kobo (I tend to see more sentences with extra space or stretched words on Kobo). But these downsides aren't deal breakers for me.

Quote:
Are those ePubs books you bought from B&N? If so, you'll have to strip the DRM to read them on your Kobo. B&N has made that more difficult lately.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 4, 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos
Doable though. Download the Nook for PC (or Mac). Download books. Below is where you find the books on a PC. Import into Calibre after adding Apprentice Alf and the key.

C:\Users\"username"\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState

The books are identified by number/letter codes that are meaningless to us. Just import and you will see book.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:20 AM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
At any rate, my five year old Kobo Aura is faster than my Glowlight 3.

If you get a Kobo, the closest match will be the Clara HD. It has the same high resolution screen and color changing frontlight. You won't have the page turn buttons though.

And Clara (and most current readers) use capacitive touch screens, while the Glowlight 3 doesn't. So the Glowlight 3 will have a slightly better looking screen (for all their mistakes, the Glowlight 3 screen looks fantastic). I also do think that Nook's layout tends to look a little better than Kobo (I tend to see more sentences with extra space or stretched words on Kobo). But these downsides aren't deal breakers for me.
I bought myself a Clara and have had a chance to directly compare it with the Glowlight 3. All of my earlier stuff remains true.

One surprise, the Glowlight 3 gets more amber than the Clara. For me, the color change on the Clara works fine, but the Glowlight 3 has more of a range in color. I could post pictures of both at their orangiest, if anyone is interested.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 04-15-2019 at 11:22 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote