Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-28-2019, 03:54 PM   #76
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Have you tried using Edge as your reader? They added ePub support to it. I've used it a bit here and there to check books, but haven't spent a lot of time using it as a reader. Lack of an in-app library might be a pain.
Yeah, I have. It was nice as far as it went, but *very* limited and basic features. To give one example aside from the lack of reading style adjustments, annotations--something I use a lot--are not accessible or exportable. They are tucked away in a magic client-side database that MSFT keeps well obscured, and used to sync between your various devices. And you cannot upload sideloaded epubs to your Microsoft account, as you can with Google Play. The combined ebook 'ecosystem' that comprises Edge browser, the Microsoft ebook store, and your personal Microsoft account, are a weak and subpar offering compared to any of the other established players. Although I love Win10 as an OS, it's a bummer to see them not taking touch-optimized apps, and specifically the ebook reading experience, more seriously.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #77
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Every year I briefly toy with the idea of buying a MS Surface Pro before deciding "maybe next year". I must admit that I just took it for granted that I would use the calibre Viewer as my reading app. Does it not work well on the Surface Pro?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2019, 04:20 PM   #78
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Every year I briefly toy with the idea of buying a MS Surface Pro before deciding "maybe next year". I must admit that I just took it for granted that I would use the calibre Viewer as my reading app. Does it not work well on the Surface Pro?
It works GREAT on Windows, love the Calibre reader. It's not a solution for me tho, as I annotate heavily.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:33 PM   #79
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
It works GREAT on Windows, love the Calibre reader. It's not a solution for me tho, as I annotate heavily.
Thanks for that Then if I ever do take the plunge I should be fine as I don't need annotations.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:22 PM   #80
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
Long as you have a place to prop it using the little kickstand, or can rest it on chest, knees, pillows, etc., I'd think the Surface Pro would make an excellent ereader. I have one at work (though I don't use for ebook reading currently), the aspect ratio and display quality on those things is fantastic. I can see a case for doing that.

This is a side issue that I won't pursue further as it's a rabbit trail to the thread. :-) But I have noticed from trying to use Windows a few times as my ebook reader on a small tablet or laptop, there are two primary issues: (1) A relative lack of good ebook reader apps (the only really good one I ever liked much besides using Kindle or Google Play browser version, is Freda+), and (2) Windows 10 apps and UI still just does not seem quite as 'touch-optimized' as the iOS and Android platforms. It's relatively more clunky and painful (to me, at least) to try and get things done in 'tablet mode' on a Win10 device. This is regrettable as I think Win10 has the built-in power to be a brilliant OS for ebook reading. But somebody needs to ramp up the touch-optimized app development for it to realize its full potential.
I use Freda+ as my reader app. I have it set when using Calibre to open epubs in Freda+.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2019, 08:24 PM   #81
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I used the Calibre Viewer for years before switching to the Freda+ app. The Calibre Viewer is my second choice for reading epubs.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:51 AM   #82
skidog
skidog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thank you SleepyBob. I don't see a "New Thread" button. Just to be clear, I would like to ask a question of the community. That does constitute a new thread, does it not? Well, this makes two posts anyway...
skidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 03:21 PM   #83
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog View Post
Thank you SleepyBob. I don't see a "New Thread" button. Just to be clear, I would like to ask a question of the community. That does constitute a new thread, does it not? Well, this makes two posts anyway...
When you are in a forum (i.e. News for example), if you look near the bottom of the page on the left hand side opposite the number of pages in the forum, you'll see a button labelled NEW THREAD. See the screen snippet attached for an image with the button ovaled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snippet_2019-03-29.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	170472  
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #84
skidog

Thank you David!

Brilliant. You should be a tech writer. First I had to get into the right forum, which I was able to do with your instructions. I had been used to seeing larger NEW THREAD buttons at the top of discussions, so it took your help to find the little fellow down at the bottom, but now I'm up and running. Thank you so much for taking the time to point me in right direction.
https://mobileread.cdn.speedyrails.n...t/thankyou.gif
Old 04-05-2019, 10:25 AM   #85
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidog View Post
Brilliant. You should be a tech writer. First I had to get into the right forum, which I was able to do with your instructions. I had been used to seeing larger NEW THREAD buttons at the top of discussions, so it took your help to find the little fellow down at the bottom, but now I'm up and running. Thank you so much for taking the time to point me in right direction.
https://mobileread.cdn.speedyrails.n...t/thankyou.gif
Note, you can find "NEW THREAD" near the top as well (upper left corner).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2019-04-05 News - MobileRead Forums.png
Views:	207
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	170587  

Last edited by ilovejedd; 04-12-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: apparently, I don't know left from right...
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:56 AM   #86
skidog

Good grief. I'd like to say that wasn't there previously, but I'm sure I just managed to overlook it... double dumb. Thanks for the pointer.