Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-07-2019, 02:57 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There weren't any LCD monitors then, but there were certainly handheld devices with LCD displays which could be used to display text files.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 01:11 PM   #32
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There weren't any LCD monitors then, but there were certainly handheld devices with LCD displays which could be used to display text files.
1983, Tandy TRS-80 model 100, 3.8 pounds, 8 lines of 40 characters.
1984, HP 110, 9 pounds, 16 lines of 80 characters, 480 x 128 pixels.
1985, HP 110+, 25 lines of 80 characters, 480 x 200 pixels.

So, not monitors, but not really handheld. I know that DEC VT100 CRT terminals were still in commercial use in 1985, so the HP 100+ provided an LCD text display equivalent of a CRT computer terminal.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2019, 01:50 PM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
1983, Tandy TRS-80 model 100, 3.8 pounds, 8 lines of 40 characters.
1984, HP 110, 9 pounds, 16 lines of 80 characters, 480 x 128 pixels.
1985, HP 110+, 25 lines of 80 characters, 480 x 200 pixels.

So, not monitors, but not really handheld. I know that DEC VT100 CRT terminals were still in commercial use in 1985, so the HP 100+ provided an LCD text display equivalent of a CRT computer terminal.
My first handheld device was a Psion Organiser, released in 1986.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:49 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
EInk devices first appeared in 2006. People (myself included) were happily reading ebooks on LCD screens for 20 years prior to that and I don't recall anyone complaining about an inability to do so!
What I don't get is people can spend hour and hours watching TV on an LCD screen no problem but try to read a book on an LCD screen and there's big time issues. That's just rubbish.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:38 PM   #35
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I don't get is people can spend hour and hours watching TV on an LCD screen no problem but try to read a book on an LCD screen and there's big time issues. That's just rubbish.
Probably has to do with proximity. Most people sit a good deal further than arm's length from their TVs.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #36
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Digital Paper, Amazon Paperwhite
There's a much different focal point to with watching TV VS reading on LCD screens. Not to difficult to figure that out!?
mrpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:02 AM   #37
xhacker
xhacker began at the beginning.

Device: none
i have the same use case (technical PDFs) and I use the original iPad pro (12.9"), the stylus is great for annotating PDFs, I use the GoodNotes app, it's fantastic, remember the resolution is high, 264 ppi. Reading on computer screens with the old 96dpi was a common source of eye strain. There is a newer iPad pro now too but if you are set on e ink then avoid goodereader at all costs! Consider the Onyx book max 2 pro (13.3") or whatever it's called now and the Sony DPT-RP1 (13.3") or wait for the new model which is rumoured to come out this year. If you are happy with a smaller display size, which i have not tried myself, but might be fine, there is the Sony DPT-CP1, the Boyue Likebook Mimas, the Onyx Boox Note Pro or this E-Pad (looks interesting) https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...android-tablet

Last edited by xhacker; 04-20-2019 at 11:17 AM. Reason: typo
xhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #38
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When I watch a video on my tablet I have it set up a bit further away, use a higher light setting (vids tend to have lower contrast then your average book file) and take my eyes off the screen far more frequently. If I try to read text for the same length of time at the same settings I find that I'm suffering from eye strain in no time flat.

While I can adjust my tablet and further adjust most of my reader apps to a comfortable light/contrast level I can understand why some people may not be able to.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #39
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
It is not rubbish. People don't watch TVs and read books at the same distance. And generally watching movies does not need so much concentration and you let your eyes go off the screen more often.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:40 AM   #40
frankrec
frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.frankrec is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
I have very poor vision and only can use one eye. There is a vast difference between watching TV and reading a book, With TV I do not even need to see faces to understand what is happening, and i can hear well so I do not miss much, but when I read, I have to look closely and it's a whole different experience. I may not represent the average user as I've had 10 eye operations, three of them coreal transplants, but please do not assume your reading experience is the same as others
frankrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #41
you sir name
you sir name began at the beginning.

fwiw, I have been paying more attention to lighting conditions for my screen use lately, and I think that's really one of the main issues with led displays: I barely ever get the screen brightness to fit its surroundings, especially so after sunset (I like to work late so that's an issue). For a screen that's not backlit, that isn't as much of a problem, works like a book: shine a light on it and you're good (well, mostly).

Also I think the "a photon is a photon" argument is very very spurious, that's like a naive 1950s view of how perception works. That is to say, your eyes aren't just passive light receptors, they focus on specific things in different ways, depending on what you're looking at (movie, picture, book, word processing, bright, dark, static, moving, etc.)

That said, for whatever reason, I've found that setting my screen to greyscale does make a ton of difference in terms of susceptibility to distraction...
you sir name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:28 PM   #42
tommyer
Connoisseur
tommyer began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox i62ml; boox note
Mankind has achieved tremendous technological and scientific progress, yet individuals still cannot agree on which display for e-readers is objectively the best for human eyes or if it just depends on one‘s eyes. And it‘s ongoing with many different combinations and weighing of various factors. Everyone‘s got a different opinion on the matter. I find that hilarious.

@you sir name Thanks for mentioning greyscale. Distraction is real (at least for me). I‘ll try that on my Ipad. May be the IPad 10,5‘‘ is the best LED device for your eyes of them all, not lastly because of its high resolution, although some say resolution is not that relevant regarding eye-friendliness. If you turn down the lights completely, you will see that the lowest light of the IPad is actually quite a shining one. I know that you can decrease the light further by way of a tweak involving a zoom function.

Last edited by tommyer; 04-26-2019 at 08:17 PM.
tommyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #43
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
Hi

I've been reading a lot of PDF on my inkpad 3, using koreader, and it works pretty well. I mostly read books and sometimes A4 articles, and if needed I cut the PDF file so that 1 PDF page = 1 book page as two pages in landscape mode would be rather small. For the file you linked as an example, with proper page separation it would work really well with an 8 inch ereader. (Once you find the proper software / commands separating pages is a rather quick process, and it's not needed for that many files).

The problem IMO with bigger ereaders is their pricing, but if you have the budget the latest Onyx Boox is probably a decent deal. Not sure how solid these are, and personally I'd rather avoid Android on an ereader.

You probably already checked the interwebz but I found this article about ereaders and pdf reading interesting: screen size matters, but internal software matters even more...

Good luck, and please give your feedback when you've found the perfect PDF ereader.
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:24 AM   #44
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
get ipad

large size erader no good contrast
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote