Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-25-2019, 05:47 PM   #31
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I doubt that microLED will be cost competitive with OLED in 6 years at 5" to 13" display sizes.
It will win on image quality and lack of burn-in.
At this point I'm not sure OLED will ever deliver on all the hype. Certainly not before microLED is commercially viable.

And I do think it will be cost competitive with eink, which is what's relevant.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Umm... an eInk display works by moving the white or black particles to the viewing surface of the capsule. A backlight would have to try shining through the entire sandwich and would not work at all never mind help more.
A backlight would shine between the spheres. It would provide a lighter background. But no, it wouldn't help enough to be worth the trouble.
Advert
Old 01-25-2019, 11:50 PM   #33
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
What we need is better contrast. Contrast on eink Carta is a comically low 15:1, and it's probably worse than that once you add touch and light layers on top. (Contrast of good ink on non glossy paper is about 200:1) But I guess it's easier (albeit not cheap) to throw on more DPI.
That is what someone in the comments said. I agree with that.
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:28 AM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
A backlight would shine between the spheres. It would provide a lighter background. But no, it wouldn't help enough to be worth the trouble.
A backlight would do wonders for the display. Given the capsules contain both the white and black pigments, they would appear as black spots surrounded by a halo. And that's assuming that the back electrode is not opaque as it has been in all the current eInk panels I've looked at.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-26-2019 at 02:31 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #35
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I'm surprised that this is even being discussed considering the source of this speculation. I've read threads on MR which have argued that their information is usually wrong.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #36
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I'm surprised that this is even being discussed considering the source of this speculation. I've read threads on MR which have argued that their information is usually wrong.
They come from the W.R. Hearst school: if there's no news, you make some up.
Since there's nothing going on in eInk tech...

Beats another Amazon is eee-vile/amazon deals thread.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-26-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:49 PM   #37
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What does the correctness of the information have to do with this discussion? Not letting the facts stand in the way is a grand tradition in yellow journalism.

Speaking of such, one of the finer moments of yellow journalism from the 19th century:
Quote:
In 1897, Remington became very bored by the lack of anything newsworthy in Cuba and cabled to Hearst, “Everything quiet. There is no trouble here. There will be no war. Wish to return.” In response to Remington’s message, Hearst reportedly replied, “Please remain. You furnish the pictures and I’ll furnish the war.”
Old 01-26-2019, 07:51 PM   #38
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydmalicious View Post
Will We See 500 or 600 PPI e-Paper Displays in 2019 or 2020?

I don’t know if it is necessary but the commenters suggested that it is contrast that needs to improve not the resolution. A guy in the comments argued you can’t really discern the difference in resolution from 300 ppi to 600 ppi as the human eye isn’t capable of seeing those details. Perhaps, but I have the iPhone XS Max and latest iPad Pro and it seems much of those displays are noticeably crisper than my 1st gen iPad Pro and iPhone 8 Plus.

What do you think?
Although you will find many people who say 300dpi is good enough, these are people usually satisfied already with what they have. They either don't have a burning desire to replace what they have, or higher dpi does nothing for them. I think that the higher the dpi, the better, however.

eReaders are notorious for crude, barebones typography. iPads and other tablets have higher density dpi, allowing for smoother anti-aliasing and better simulation of real book experiences in regards to layout, drop caps, titles, images, etc. Many of my peers are hardcore pbook readers, several of them authors, and they don't find the ebook experience to be a beautiful one. In my opinion, they are book snobs. Yet, if eReaders approached the dpi density of tablets, the ebook experience would be a more compelling one for them.

Already, I'm seeing reMarkable eInk tablets showing up at writer's conferences with only keen interest surrounding the device. They are popular with editors. Even with a 1872 x 1404 display, it only has 226dpi, but what makes it compelling is the 2048 levels of pressure. Writers love scribbling on eInk as if it's paper, then mailing off PDFs of their notations. The conclusion there is that eInk is not a detriment in this case. What will cause readers in general to embrace eReaders? I argue that faster processors and a more intuitive reading experience will be necessary.

As for the article, you can see in the included screenshots how much of a difference there is in the Japanese characters between 150 dpi and 500 (though who reads on a Palm Pilot anymore?). 300 dpi to 600 will be a nice jump. The text will look gorgeous in comparison.

Last edited by Cootey; 01-26-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:30 PM   #39
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
eReaders are notorious for crude, barebones typography. iPads and other tablets have higher density dpi, allowing for smoother anti-aliasing and better simulation of real book experiences in regards to layout, drop caps, titles, images, etc. Many of my peers are hardcore pbook readers, several of them authors, and they don't find the ebook experience to be a beautiful one. In my opinion, they are book snobs. Yet, if eReaders approached the dpi density of tablets, the ebook experience would be a more compelling one for them.
Only the retina iPad mini has higher than 300 ppi and even then, not by much (iPad mini 2/3/4, 326 ppi). All other retina iPads have pixel density of 264 ppi (similar to the Kobo H2O, iirc).

It's the phones that have super high pixel density.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 01-26-2019 at 09:06 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 09:54 PM   #40
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Don't you know by now that even the slightest rumor of new ereading technology is guaranteed to result in a multi-page thread full of speculation about how it works, what's wrong with it, etc. etc. even though nobody has actually seen it?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:46 PM   #41
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Although you will find many people who say 300dpi is good enough, these are people usually satisfied already with what they have. They either don't have a burning desire to replace what they have, or higher dpi does nothing for them. I think that the higher the dpi, the better, however.

Already, I'm seeing reMarkable eInk tablets showing up at writer's conferences with only keen interest surrounding the device. They are popular with editors. Even with a 1872 x 1404 display, it only has 226dpi, but what makes it compelling is the 2048 levels of pressure. Writers love scribbling on eInk as if it's paper, then mailing off PDFs of their notations. The conclusion there is that eInk is not a detriment in this case. What will cause readers in general to embrace eReaders? I argue that faster processors and a more intuitive reading experience will be necessary.

As for the article, you can see in the included screenshots how much of a difference there is in the Japanese characters between 150 dpi and 500 (though who reads on a Palm Pilot anymore?). 300 dpi to 600 will be a nice jump. The text will look gorgeous in comparison.
Hmmm... you seem to be confusing typography with Great Ghu alone knows what. An ebook with ugly typography is going to be an ebook with ugly typography no matter what the DPI of the display it is being displayed on. As for iPad DPI? My iPad Pro has a massive 264DPI, slightly less than three of my Kobos which weigh in at 300DPI. The iPad mini's do have a slightly higher DPI at 326.

Hmmm... the two advantages to reading on my iPad Pro are 1. The colour display helps with the occasional image. Sadly most of my ebooks have 1 or two images. 2. The faster processor and more RAM help with displaying PDFs. Sadly most of my PDFs are tech manuals. The images are mostly diagrams in glorious living black and white. My laptop does an even better job of displaying those PDFs making it my goto device for that purpose despite it's "pathetic" 141DPI display. All being said and done, my Kobo is my goto ereader since the weight and battery life make it a much more enjoyable experience.

BTW, my ereaders all do an excellent job of displaying drop caps, small caps, title, chapter headings, etc. It comes down to the person who creates the ebook knowing what they are doing and not what display the ebook is being displayed on.

And could you please explain WTF what a "more intuitive reading experience" is? Is this like "user friendly" when it comes to software? To quote W. Shakespeare, "full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing.".

Last edited by DNSB; 01-26-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:35 AM   #42
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I agree that ebook typography is currently terrible. But that's the fault of the ebook coding standards and the ebook display software. Nothing to do with the resolution of the screens. It's entirely possible to do good typography on a 300dpi greyscale screen.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:16 AM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Look at the way resolution has changed over time:

Original Kindle (and many others): 169 ppi
Kindle PW (and others): 212 ppi
Kobo H2O: 248 ppi
Many modern devices: 300 ppi

To expect a sudden jump to 600 ppi seems illogical to me. If resolution does increase beyond 300 ppi, history suggests that it will do so gradually, not in a sudden quadrupling of pixel density.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:47 AM   #44
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Look at the way resolution has changed over time:

Original Kindle (and many others): 169 ppi
Kindle PW (and others): 212 ppi
Kobo H2O: 248 ppi
Many modern devices: 300 ppi

To expect a sudden jump to 600 ppi seems illogical to me. If resolution does increase beyond 300 ppi, history suggests that it will do so gradually, not in a sudden quadrupling of pixel density.
Not that it matters, but the Aura HD also had 248ppi, and was released before the H2O.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:01 AM   #45
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Not that it matters, but the Aura HD also had 248ppi, and was released before the H2O.

...and both had a resolution of 265ppi, not 248.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote