Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-10-2018, 10:00 PM   #61
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
I am having the same problem as well! I delete the json file mentioned earlier in the thread and that allowed me to download *some* metadata - it's still missing bits of what I was getting before, particularly the series information. Hope there's a fix, soon!
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:01 PM   #62
PCT56
PCT56
PCT56 began at the beginning.

Device: Yuntab 10 inch Tablet, reading with Lithium Ereader
Hi all, I'm Carole - I love Calibre and use it almost daily, but I am having the same problem today that I can't download metadata. Same error message as Ray, that I have not previously encountered. Details as follows:

calibre, version 3.31.0
ERROR: Download failed: Failed to download metadata. Click Show Details to see details

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 289, in main
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\worker.py ", line 102, in single_identify
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\update.py ", line 79, in patch_plugins
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\metadata\sources\update.py ", line 62, in patch_search_engines
File "<string>", line 11, in <module>
ImportError: No module named polyglot.builtins
PCT56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #63
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Here is the set of steps to have calibre auto-update metadata-sources-cache.json
  1. Restart calibre
  2. Start a metadata download, it will probably still fail
  3. Wait a minute or two for the cache to be updated
  4. Restart calibre again
  5. Now it should work

And if for any reason this fails to update metadata-sources-cache.json you can always delete it manually to restore functioning. To delete it manually, do the following:
  1. Click Preferences->Miscellaneous
  2. Click "Open calibre configuration directory"
  3. Delete the file "metadata-sources-cache.json"
  4. Restart calibre

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 09-10-2018 at 11:46 PM.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #64
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Here is the set of steps to have calibre auto-update metadata-sources-cache.json
  1. Restart calibre
  2. Start a metadata download, it will probably still fail
  3. Wait a minute or two for the cache to be updated
  4. Restart calibre again
  5. Now it should work
I followed these steps, but it is still not downloading series information like it did before.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:26 PM   #65
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you running calibre 3.31?
Advert
Old 09-10-2018, 11:35 PM   #66
jomel123
jomel123 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Someone previously posted a workaround.
Go to Preferences Advanced Miscellaneous.
Open calibre configuration directory.
Delete the file metadata-sources-cache.json.

You will have to do this each time you restart calibre.
jomel123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:38 PM   #67
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomel123 View Post

Uh
Kovid is the Author of Calibre. His solutions are the Gold Standard.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:40 PM   #68
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomel123 View Post

Moderator Notice

Kovid has fixed it - see post #61

Ninja'd

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:45 PM   #69
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Running calibre 3.31 here. I tried the 5 steps and after 5 minutes the metadata-sources-cache.json file still had a modified timestamp from when I was testing it around 14:15 PDT and the error was popping up. I retried a couple of times and still not working. I tried deleting the file and metadata downloading worked. A new metadata-sources-cache.json was created with a 20:35 PDT modified timestamp. I've closed and opened calibre ~6 times and the metadata download is still working.

Perhaps a step 1A should be added: Open Preferences, select Change calibre behavior, under Advanced select Miscellaneous, select Open calibre configuration directory. Delete or rename metadata-sources-cache.json.

Last edited by DNSB; 09-10-2018 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Fat fingers cause typos...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:48 PM   #70
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Odd, but in any case, I have amended the instructions with what to do if the auto-update does not work. It might just take a few hours for the updated file to make its way through the various proxies/caches/etc.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:52 PM   #71
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Thank you Kovid!
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:44 AM   #72
Mireille005
Mireille005 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad and Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
Hey! That was the solution I posted several hours ago in the other thread.
Yes indeed you did and it worked for me. Thank you PacificNW

Last edited by Mireille005; 09-11-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Mireille005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:49 AM   #73
Mireille005
Mireille005 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad and Laptop
Quote:
Thank you so much for the quick response.
And of course and more importantly: Thank you for Calibre!
Mireille005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 06:59 AM   #74
Lily7
Zealot

Quote:
Yes. I also just tried again after having given it all night, and it is still not pulling series information. :-/
Old 09-11-2018, 07:30 AM   #75
rdorton
rdorton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre is working now. I don't know why.
rdorton is offline   Reply With Quote