Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-05-2019, 01:09 AM   #616
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have the firefox fix - happened while i was having lunch so I dunno if there was a message, but when I came back the add-on icons were back, and two Hotfixes are showing in about:studies. That's not too bad - it took about five hours for the fix to trickle down to me. 'Course, would have been better if they hadn't broke it in the first place

I've been using uBlock for a while now. I gave NoScript the flick ages ago, IMO it got too bloated and needed too much attention. I switched to something else for a while, its name escapes me. Then I found out about uBlock, it does all I want with no fuss.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:15 AM   #617
cc_in_oh
Addict
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
For me it broke about 9AM, instantly noticeable because I lost new tab speed dials. I found the info to enable Studies and had the fix within an hour.

I read somewhere that the same certificate expire issue almost happened once before but they caught it just in time to fix before any disruption occurred.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #618
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Azpen A746, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I have the firefox fix - happened while i was having lunch so I dunno if there was a message, but when I came back the add-on icons were back, and two Hotfixes are showing in about:studies. That's not too bad - it took about five hours for the fix to trickle down to me. 'Course, would have been better if they hadn't broke it in the first place
There is also an xpi file you can get and apply directly. You need to save it to a file, then use the Addon page's install addon from file to get it in place. See https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019...ns-in-firefox/
Quote:
I've been using uBlock for a while now. I gave NoScript the flick ages ago, IMO it got too bloated and needed too much attention. I switched to something else for a while, its name escapes me. Then I found out about uBlock, it does all I want with no fuss.
The breaker for me was the amount of attention NoScript required, exacerbated by the fun of trying to keep it and uBlock from stepping on each other's toes.

My one uBlock wish list item is not open a new tab or window saying uBlock has blocked something from loading because X. I don't want to see it period. Write the info to a log file and don't even open the new tab/window.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #619
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
For me it broke about 9AM, instantly noticeable because I lost new tab speed dials. I found the info to enable Studies and had the fix within an hour.

I read somewhere that the same certificate expire issue almost happened once before but they caught it just in time to fix before any disruption occurred.
Hadn't seen that, but would not be at all surprised.

Mozilla pushed a fix creditably fast. They still need to detail what steps they are taking to insure this cannot happen again.
______
Dennis
Old 05-05-2019, 06:28 PM   #620
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Took about five hours to get to me, network latency ?

I have the 66.0.4 update now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
There is also an xpi file you can get and apply directly. You need to save it to a file, then use the Addon page's install addon from file to get it in place. See https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2019...ns-in-firefox/

The breaker for me was the amount of attention NoScript required, exacerbated by the fun of trying to keep it and uBlock from stepping on each other's toes.

My one uBlock wish list item is not open a new tab or window saying uBlock has blocked something from loading because X. I don't want to see it period. Write the info to a log file and don't even open the new tab/window.
______
Dennis
I am not sure uBlock has ever blocked anything here, possibly because Firefox or MWB caught something first, and/or because I'm cautious about what I click on.

BR
Advert
Old 05-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #621
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Took about five hours to get to me, network latency ?
I have no idea. I assume Mozilla code gets copied to various servers around the world so updates can be served by one geographically close to the user, but don't know what their distribution network looks like.

Quote:
I have the 66.0.4 update now.
I just got it as well.

Quote:
I am not sure uBlock has ever blocked anything here, possibly because Firefox or MWB caught something first, and/or because I'm cautious about what I click on.
You would notice if uBlock did.

Firefox uses a Google collected list of known malware sites and will block them by default. I also used the OpenDNS service rather than my ISP's DNS resolution that maintained its own list of such things.

I have seen the block list get things wrong, and have had to override the block. This usually happens in the case of file sharing sites that want you to download additional software, but can usually be told not to by unchecking a box saying "Download with addons" or the like.

File sharing sites are fruitful sources of uBlockOrigin blocks, as they may try to open new tabs or new windows to display ads.
______
Dennis
Old 05-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #622
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Yep, I lost my add-ons for a few hours. All was well when I got up in the morning.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:57 PM   #623
poohbear_nc
Be Afraid! Very Afraid!
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I just got 66.0.4
Got all my add-ons back functioning except 'Send to Kindle' - downloaded from the Amazon storefront.

1. Is there a way to get this working again, or is it a matter of waiting for Amazon to update their code to meet Mozilla standards?

2. If not, can you recommend a replacement add-on?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:00 PM   #624
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Yep, I lost my add-ons for a few hours. All was well when I got up in the morning.
Timing is all. A number of folks had a longer outage (and discovered that uninstalling and trying to reinstall broken extensions didn't work - they could be removed but not reinstalled, and the temporary fixes I mentioned earlier would re-enable installed stuff but not help the stuff they removed.)

The Firefox community is as outraged by this as I've ever seen it. Mozilla shot its credibility in both feet, and will have fun getting it back.
______
Dennis
Old 05-09-2019, 12:25 AM   #625
BetterRed
null operator

If Harry and Meghan have a daughter will they call her Veronica ?
Old 05-09-2019, 01:33 AM   #626
Dazrin
There's my cookie!
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW2, various Android devices
I'm pretty much switching to Chrome over this. I was using an older ESR version of FF since the newer versions break a few of the extensions I rely (relied?) on. If those extensions are going to be broken anyway, might as well move to Chrome. It works better with some other things I do anyway.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:20 PM   #627
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 8+ & iPad Pro
So a few months ago I bought a used bike for my stay in Germany. To conform with German safety laws, it has a built-in lighting system that’s powered by a dynamo that runs off of the front wheel rim. The bike is quite old... I bought it at a flea market for €30... and while riding outside a couple weeks ago, said dynamo kicked the bucket. They do sell replacement dynamos, however I haven’t been able to find much help in how to actually install it. Worse, this being an older model, it’s wired differently from modern bikes: whereas modern bikes have two separate sets of wires going to the front and rear lamp, this system has just one wire going to each of them and apparently uses the metal frame to form a circuit. So basically I’m not sure if one of those modern dynamos will even work, and if so, how to go about wiring it...?

Last edited by Dylrob; 05-13-2019 at 03:40 PM.
Dylrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #628
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
So a few months ago I bought a used bike for my stay in Germany. To conform with German safety laws, it has a built-in lighting system that’s powered by a dynamo that runs off of the front wheel rim. The bike is quite old... I bought it at a flea market for €30... and while riding outside a couple weeks ago, said dynamo kicked the bucket. They do sell replacement dynamos, however I haven’t been able to find much help in how to actually install it. Worse, this being an older model, it’s wired differently from modern bikes: whereas modern bikes have two separate wires, this system uses the metal bike frame in place of the grounding wire. So basically I’m not sure if one of those modern dynamos will even work, and if so, how to go about wiring it...?
Maybe check out your local bike shop?

IANEE, but if there are only two wires: one is '+' and one is '-', the one going to the frame is '-'. Please seek other opinions, and don't blame me if you smell smoke or here a pop.

Now I'm curious what you find out.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #629
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Maybe check out your local bike shop?

IANEE, but if there are only two wires: one is '+' and one is '-', the one going to the frame is '-'. Please seek other opinions, and don't blame me if you smell smoke or here a pop.

Now I'm curious what you find out.
Eh, the bike stores around here don’t deal with vintage stuff unfortunately.

After some research, though, I have concluded that it would be impossible to just replace the dynamo. This lighting system is based around AC, whereas modern ones are DC.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:04 PM   #630
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

So I lucked out... the dormitory I’m in keeps a “graveyard” of old bikes, just left there from previous study abroad students. I managed to salvage a compatible dynamo from a junker (eg the wheels and saddle had already been taken, so that bike’s riding days were over).