Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-30-2019, 03:33 AM   #46
DeKuns
Connoisseur
DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipflargin View Post
I haven't checked in for awhile... I've been initiating a weekly phone call with Amazon support to get latest ticket status.
The answer has always been "pending" (with polite apologies for the delay).
Kudos to them for not telling me to go take a hike for all my calling.
The last support person sent me my support ticket# for reference. (makes me happy for some reason?)
I'll shout if I hear anything new.
Thanks, Flipflargin! There is only a little chance they will listen to this matter, but it is worth to try.

Probably if we can get a hand with Kindle DX owner that still able to register and de-register, we can ask their ";dm" file and compare that with our factory reset Kindle DX? Just to see if there is a different in registration process.
DeKuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:33 PM   #47
Flipflargin
Angrah Kitteh
Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

DeKuns, you are so so right. My painful experience comes to an end.
I called Amazon today for status on my Kindle DXG ticket (not registering from device).

Here's what I could piece together from the ticket's developer comments (with support person reading them back to me):
Your device is not wifi.
If it gets connected with wifi we can pull manual logs.
It is not "ticketable" (can not file a ticket on it anymore since not wifi).

The ticket is marked, "resolved".

The telling thing is that I had manually dumped the logs and had them attached to the ticket when it was first created. The developer had them available to analyze from the start. The ticket was pending for over 3-4 weeks before they came to the conclusion that the device wasn't wifi so they couldn't pull the logs?
They absolutely must had seen the "cert file not found" exceptions in the attached logs.
Maybe there's official pressure to put this old free 3G Kindle DXG out to pasture so they can retire their 3G contract obligations/cost?
Maybe somebody deleted the developer FAQ detailing how to create a new security cert for this device?

Okay no biggie, I'll just continue to side load my library.
I came to this party for the DXG big screen loveliness.
Would it be nice to buy books right from the old Kindle DXG? Sure.
Would it be fun to use the experimental browser? Yeah.

But it might be more honest of Amazon to represent this real-world situation in the Kindle DXG software support section?

Here's my humble (yet snarky) suggestion:
Once factory reset, the Kindle DX Graphite can only be registered on the server-side by calling Amazon support. The device itself will not show as registered. This means that you will only be able to browse the Amazon bookstore. You will not be able to buy anything using your device. The experimental browser will not be available.

cheers!
Flipflargin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #48
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4 (LTE)
I don't really understand why they still try to offer support for these older devices.

The support staff are (understandably) not familiar with these devices that don't have Wi-Fi.

I think they should just say on the website that the devices are no longer supported, and just leave the help pages available for those people that still want to look at the help/download the firmware.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:47 AM   #49
DeKuns
Connoisseur
DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post
I don't really understand why they still try to offer support for these older devices.

The support staff are (understandably) not familiar with these devices that don't have Wi-Fi.

I think they should just say on the website that the devices are no longer supported, and just leave the help pages available for those people that still want to look at the help/download the firmware.
I keep on Kindle DX because of its 9.7" screen. It is so handy for .pdf and large format documents. All until Amazon make Kindle with 9.7" screen and Wi-Fi.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #50
Flipflargin
Angrah Kitteh
Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveoc64 View Post

I wholeheartedly agree. It must be a nightmare keeping the old device support structure in place. Upgrading hardware/software on the server-side could break functionality, etc. I appreciate their support, but it is bad when the support people tell you it is too old and you should get a new device.

By the way, my wife got really ticked off when our ticket was closed as "resolved" without it being fixed. She said "closed and will not fix" would be more fair. She called them up and got the ticket reopened. We sent them a fresh log file showing the "file not found" certificate exception against their registration server. At this point it is a principle thing. Either the developer working the ticket actually reads the log file and addresses the problem or simply change the support website indicating support is finished. Either is fine with me at this point.
Advert
Old 05-05-2019, 12:29 PM   #51
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
It has been interesting for me to follow this thread about Amazon backing away from support of older devices. I have several Kindle Keyboards. I have loved them for their open 3G browsers, which have allowed me to check email and the weather when I am at my cottage up north without internet, t.v. or telephone. I’ve been very grateful that Amazon has kept this feature working, even though it is labeled an “experimental” feature.
I also have a DX with 3G, in which the open browser no longer connects to anything but the Amazon store. I imagine the Kindle 3 will soon follow, but there are many more users who would voice their displeasure over this than there are DX users. It is too bad to sell something then reduce its function, like taking back your car’s muffler after 10 years. However, the browser was sold as “experimental”. Not being able to register a DX to use the Kindle store seems a bit absurd, maybe a matter of incompetence. There must still be some value in allowing users to go online to buy books from a Kindle. I have no idea what Amazon pays to allow Kindle owners 3G access, but I can’t imagine there would be any incentive to taking it away from a small number of users.
I think it is incompetence. They probably don’t pay enough to support personnel to have many knowledgeable about older devices.

Last edited by montalex; 05-05-2019 at 01:03 PM.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:10 AM   #52
DeKuns
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
It has been interesting for me to follow this thread about Amazon backing away from support of older devices. I have several Kindle Keyboards. I have loved them for their open 3G browsers, which have allowed me to check email and the weather when I am at my cottage up north without internet, t.v. or telephone. I’ve been very grateful that Amazon has kept this feature working, even though it is labeled an “experimental” feature.
I also have a DX with 3G, in which the open browser no longer connects to anything but the Amazon store. I imagine the Kindle 3 will soon follow, but there are many more users who would voice their displeasure over this than there are DX users. It is too bad to sell something then reduce its function, like taking back your car’s muffler after 10 years. However, the browser was sold as “experimental”. Not being able to register a DX to use the Kindle store seems a bit absurd, maybe a matter of incompetence. There must still be some value in allowing users to go online to buy books from a Kindle. I have no idea what Amazon pays to allow Kindle owners 3G access, but I can’t imagine there would be any incentive to taking it away from a small number of users.
I think it is incompetence. They probably don’t pay enough to support personnel to have many knowledgeable about older devices.
The fact that unregistered Kindle DXi and DX(G) can still browse Kindle Store through 3G seemed to underline that Amazon did not give up their 3G contract yet. So it is most likely a software glitch that Amazon did not bother with anymore. Since then, I sideload my books and even know now that sometimes google books or other outlets have the same ebook for much less money.

BTW, montalex, did your Kindle is DXi or DX(G). If you dare enough can you deregister and register it again? I am curious what kind of files and where these DX stored it when DX successfully register to Amazon. I need a debug file of this. Probably a patch can be developed.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:09 PM   #53
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
My Kindle is a DXG. I changed the motherboard to get the 3G connection -- it was given to me with wifi. I'm a little afraid to deregister it, with the problems I am reading about here. Sorry! When I changed the motherboard, I had no trouble registering. Amazon lists my registration date as January 2019.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:30 AM   #54
DeKuns
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
My Kindle is a DXG. I changed the motherboard to get the 3G connection -- it was given to me with wifi. I'm a little afraid to deregister it, with the problems I am reading about here. Sorry! When I changed the motherboard, I had no trouble registering. Amazon lists my registration date as January 2019.
I understand.
I think what you have in your hand is Kindle 3G + Wifi.

What I see in the ";dm" file that might be the reason for the cause is that:
"Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: https://fras-g7g.amazon.com/FrasProxy/getClientCert?fionaID=<Kindle DX Serial Number>&ESN=<Radio Serial Number or ICCID>&MDN=<International Mobile Subscriber Identifier - IMSI Number>"

ID=the Kindle DX Serial Number
ESN=the ICCID
MDN=IMSI Number

It seemed that the file is missing from Amazon server.

Last edited by DeKuns; 05-08-2019 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #55
Flipflargin
Angrah Kitteh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKuns View Post
I understand.
I think what you have in your hand is Kindle 3G + Wifi.

What I see in the ";dm" file that might be the reason for the cause is that:
"Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: https://fras-g7g.amazon.com/FrasProxy/getClientCert?fionaID=<Kindle DX Serial Number>&ESN=<Radio Serial Number or ICCID>&MDN=<International Mobile Subscriber Identifier - IMSI Number>"

ID=the Kindle DX Serial Number
ESN=the ICCID
MDN=IMSI Number

It seemed that the file is missing from Amazon server.
This is exactly what I see in my DXG log file, FileNotFoundException when attempting to register. Looks like a web service call to their server passing in all the relevant goodies to get back a necessary certificate file? From the exception message, it doesn't appear to find/return the file. Maybe there's a missing file on Kindle-side due to the factory reset, I don't know.

On a brighter note, I just talked with Kindle support folks for my ticket and it's still in "open" status. He stated that there was not just one developer working the issue as several developers had attached technical messages/notes to the ticket. This seems to indicate that there is at least a technical discussion of the problem going on. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.
As mentioned before, their options are likely "fix" or "drop support". I hope they go "fix".
Old 05-09-2019, 07:39 AM   #56
DeKuns
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipflargin View Post
This is exactly what I see in my DXG log file, FileNotFoundException when attempting to register. Looks like a web service call to their server passing in all the relevant goodies to get back a necessary certificate file? From the exception message, it doesn't appear to find/return the file. Maybe there's a missing file on Kindle-side due to the factory reset, I don't know.

On a brighter note, I just talked with Kindle support folks for my ticket and it's still in "open" status. He stated that there was not just one developer working the issue as several developers had attached technical messages/notes to the ticket. This seems to indicate that there is at least a technical discussion of the problem going on. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.
As mentioned before, their options are likely "fix" or "drop support". I hope they go "fix".
I also file the issue along with the debug file to Amazon CS. The "fix" decision would be very nice! Finger cross!

BTW, I open a thread in Kindle developer forum hoping that someone with a working registered Kindle DX 3G would dare enough to test register and deregister. Their debug file might enable us to locate where the downloaded file is stored. If we can decode that file and build a patch from it, then we might able to buy books from Kindle store and browse Wikipedia again.

Another error message that make me wonder is:
Quote:
cvm[5645]: W ContentDRM:Unable to access account secrets file:action=read,file=/var/local/java/prefs/acsr:
What is account secrets file? Is "/var/local/java/prefs/acsr" the place where the certificate that supposed come from amazon server should be saved?

Last edited by DeKuns; 05-10-2019 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:31 PM   #57
ibear
ibear is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DXG
Thank you @Flipflargin and @DeKuns for your pushes on this issue. Have exact same issue after reset last month. Hope to see this resolved!
ibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:11 AM   #58
DeKuns
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibear View Post
Thank you @Flipflargin and @DeKuns for your pushes on this issue. Have exact same issue after reset last month. Hope to see this resolved!
It might be nice if each of us files the issue to Amazon CS. I hope they will hear.

I rooted my Kindle DXG to find out what is exactly the file(s) it searches for at
"/var/local/java/prefs/acsr"

Quote:
root@kindle certs]# cd /var/local/java/prefs
[root@kindle prefs]# ls
DevicePasswordData.pw com.amazon.ebook.booklet.home
browser com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader
certs com.amazon.ebook.framework
[root@kindle prefs]# cd certs
[root@kindle certs]# ls
[root@kindle certs]#
It seemed that my factory reset Kindle does not has "acsr" directory. So I search on "certs" to find out what is inside it. It returned that the directory is empty. What are files that should be there? Anyone with fully registered Kindle whatever series know what is inside certs?

I will try to "unzip" the Kindle service update file to take a look at what is inside it. Probably it contained the certificate that we need.

Last edited by DeKuns; 05-11-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #59
DeKuns
Connoisseur

Quote:
It might be nice if each of us files the issue to Amazon CS. I hope they will hear.

I rooted my Kindle DXG to find out what is exactly the file(s) it searches for at
"/var/local/java/prefs/acsr"

It seemed that my factory reset Kindle does not has "acsr" directory. So I search on "certs" to find out what is inside it. It returned that the directory is empty. What are files that should be there? Anyone with fully registered Kindle whatever series knows what is inside certs?

I will try to "unzip" the Kindle service update file to take a look at what is inside it. Probably it contained the certificate that we need.
This does not work. Only Amazon that could fix this problem!
It seemed that the problem probably more than just a missing certificate, my theory is that firmware update Amazon released for Kindle Gen 1-3 did not contain a right factory reset routine. This might mess with directory structure, Java engine, and the certificate required to connect to Amazon once a factory reset is initiated.

Again, only Amazon could fix this problem!
Old 05-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #60
Flipflargin
Angrah Kitteh

Quote:
This does not work. Only Amazon that could fix this problem!
It seemed that the problem probably more than just a missing certificate, my theory is that firmware update Amazon released for Kindle Gen 1-3 did not contain a right factory reset routine. This might mess with directory structure, Java engine, and the certificate required to connect to Amazon once a factory reset is initiated.

Again, only Amazon could fix this problem!
Nice sleuthing DeKuns!