Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #3586
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip, jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Here are the instructions on how to turn off Amazon’s ability to listen to your voice recording:

1. In Alexa app select Menu icon in upper-left of screen.
2. Select Settings —> Alexa Account —> Alexa Privacy to open the Alexa Privacy page.
3. In the Alexa Privacy page, select Manage How Your Data Improves Alexa to open the Manage How Your Data Improves Alexa page.
4. In the Manage How Your Data Improves Alexa page, you can toggle OFF the Help Develop New Features option and the Use Messages to Improve Transcriptions option.
Thanks. I didn't know this even existed. I turned it off. I also unplugged my Dot--again.

Apparently the default is to collect information, which seems like a violation of privacy just waiting for a class action suit. Vizio settled a class action suit because their smart TVs were collecting data; seems like Amazon's doing much the same thing.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #3587
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks. I didn't know this even existed. I turned it off. I also unplugged my Dot--again.

Apparently the default is to collect information, which seems like a violation of privacy just waiting for a class action suit. Vizio settled a class action suit because their smart TVs were collecting data; seems like Amazon's doing much the same thing.
FWIW, many/most apps "collect data to help improve the product": Firefox, Siri, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2019, 01:02 PM   #3588
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
Yes a lot of companies do collect data in a so-called "we want to improve our app/device" guise, but some go way too far, especially Google and Facebook. We really need a federal law on the books requiring companies to automatically turn off data collection as the default setting, and have to request our permission to collect data before they do, and have to be 100% transparent with what they will do with that data. I mean ANY data, period. There is way too much abuse, including the sharing and selling of our data to other companies and organizations, in some cses even GD political organizations can purchase that data. That needs to stop unless we give our specific permission to them. I've installed a lot of iOS apps that ask for permission to collect data and I always say no, at least until I can check them out through research. That is the way it should be required, that the default is set to NO data collection unless we give our permission.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:57 AM   #3589
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip, jetBook Lite
The trouble is that too often you can't use the app without giving permission for all sorts of invasive actions that seem to have no connection to the purpose of the app--like access to the contacts list.

I am fairly sure that when I installed the Alexa app, there was no information given about turning off data collection, or I would have done so.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:22 AM   #3590
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The trouble is that too often you can't use the app without giving permission for all sorts of invasive actions that seem to have no connection to the purpose of the app--like access to the contacts list.

I am fairly sure that when I installed the Alexa app, there was no information given about turning off data collection, or I would have done so.
Agree. Plus the Alexa app is being updated very often and no telling what kind of new permissions have been added without our knowledge.

Yesterday a friend of mine who has almost no knowledge in computers or smartphones tried to send me a couple of photos he took on his Android smartphone. He wasn’t sure how to attach them to a text message but eventually managed to get them attached, or so he thought. I got his text message but it contained a link to the photos rather than the photos. When I clicked the link I was asked if I wanted to install Google Photos on my iPhone. I hate everything Google because of their lack of security and history of data mining, but I installed the app anyway. When I tried to run the app it asked for permission to access my iPhone’s Photo app, I checked NO because I do not want Google snooping around my iPhone. The app responded it would not work without access to my iPhone Photo app and quit. I promptly deleted the Google Photo app. I still haven’t been able to view the photos my friend tried to send me. They were of a 12” diameter snapping turtle he saw along the road where he lives. I see absolutely no reason why an app has to have access to my iPhone photos in order to allow me to view a photo that is not therein. I’m also not sure why my friends Android phone didn’t attach the photos rather than force them into the Google Photo app cloud other than Google probably wanted to snoop around. App permissions are sometimes understandable, but certainly not in this case. BTW, I receive photos attached to emails and text messages all the time from friends who have Android phones, so I know they don’t require Google Photos. I guess the phone store must have set up his phone to use that app and service. Like I said he has no clue how to set up a new phone and he has a brand new phone...

Last edited by OtinG; 04-14-2019 at 10:26 AM.
Advert
Old 04-17-2019, 03:33 PM   #3591
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 4, 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos
FYI - you can now have Echo send ebooks or audiobooks to your registered devices. Start it by saying "Alexa, manage my content."
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #3592
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
FYI - you can now have Echo send ebooks or audiobooks to your registered devices. Start it by saying "Alexa, manage my content."
Alexa keeps interpreting light control commands for my “Bath Light” as “Mike”! I’m not sure how in heck she hears Mike rather than Bath Light, but she does. I can only wonder which strange books she would incorrectly load to my devices. Some things are easier and quicker to do on a computer or tablet/smartphone than they are when you have to argue with Alexa.

I still say that AI at Amazon stands for Alexa Ignorance.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:47 PM   #3593
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kin7; FHD6; SGT4; ClipZip; LG Trib; Echo Dot
Quote:
Alexa keeps interpreting light control commands for my “Bath Light” as “Mike”! I’m not sure how in heck she hears Mike rather than Bath Light, but she does. I can only wonder which strange books she would incorrectly load to my devices. Some things are easier and quicker to do on a computer or tablet/smartphone than they are when you have to argue with Alexa.

I still say that AI at Amazon stands for Alexa Ignorance.
When you're not home, you gotta ask yourself what Alexa is doing in the bathroom with Mike
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:33 PM   #3594
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

Hubby unplugged Alexa after last months reports he came across about privacy violation. She's now collecting dust. I kind of miss her but he's right. Amazon can't be trusted with this much power.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:04 AM   #3595
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
When you're not home, you gotta ask yourself what Alexa is doing in the bathroom with Mike
LOL!
Old 04-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #3596
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Move Over Pandora, Amazon Wants to Play

"Alexa, play music"
Quote:
Beginning today, Alexa customers in the U.S. will have access to top Amazon Music playlists and thousands of stations, at no cost.
  • Spoiler:
    Quote:
    Since the launch of Amazon Music, customers have been able to use the simplicity and magic of voice to request music in fun, innovative ways. Interacting with music through voice is transforming how people engage with music—searching for a favorite station, or music by era or genre, is easier and more popular than ever before.

And so, beginning today, customers in the U.S. who do not yet have a Prime membership or a subscription to Amazon Music Unlimited will now be able to listen to an ad-supported selection of top playlists and stations for free with Amazon Music on compatible Alexa-enabled devices.

Customers now have access to play a station based on a song, artist, era, and genre, and to hear some of Amazon Music's top global playlists including Country Heat, Fuego Latino, and more. To listen, simply say:

* "Alexa, play the playlist Pop Culture" to hear the ultimate global playlist for today's pop music.

* "Alexa, play the Imagine Dragons station" to hear a station inspired by the popular rock band.

* "Alexa, play 80s music" to hear a station filled with music from the era.

* "Alexa, play country music" to hear a station with some of the best in the genre.

Prefer to listen to music on-demand, without ads? As part of a Prime membership, Prime members enjoy more than 2 million songs and thousands of stations and playlists across their devices including mobile, desktop, Alexa-enabled devices, and more, at no additional cost to their membership.
Amazon launches ad-supported music service to Echo owners
Quote:
Amazon today announced the launch of a free, ad-supported music service in the U.S. that will be available to anyone who wants to play free music on their Echo speaker.

Until today, Echo owners who wanted to stream music from Amazon could either pay for an annual Prime membership for access to Prime Music or they could pay $3.99 per month to stream from Amazon Music Unlimited (or $9.99/month to stream on non-Echo devices, as well.)

The new service has the same catalog as Prime Music, which today has just over two million songs. Amazon Music Unlimited, meanwhile, has 50 million songs.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 04-19-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #3597
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

So those loyal customers like me who have been paying for a Prime Membership for several years but don’t have the separate Prime Music Membership just get rear ended? WTF!!! Oh well, that is what happens to loyal customers with cable companies and cellular phone plans, the long time loyal folks never get the good deals.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:29 PM   #3598
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
So those loyal customers like me who have been paying for a Prime Membership for several years but don’t have the separate Prime Music Membership just get rear ended? WTF!!! Oh well, that is what happens to loyal customers with cable companies and cellular phone plans, the long time loyal folks never get the good deals.
This free service uses the same catalog as Prime Music, but has restrictions. For starters, it contains ads and you can't play specific songs or albums. You can only play radio stations (based upon songs or artists) and the playlists included in the Prime Music catalog.

It's very similar to the free versions of Pandora and Spotify.

BTW, Prime Music (2+ million songs) is included in your Prime membership. Amazon Music Unlimited (50+ million songs) is the paid service.

Bottom line: this free service is a restricted version of Prime Music.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:59 PM   #3599
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
This free service uses the same catalog as Prime Music, but has restrictions. For starters, it contains ads and you can't play specific songs or albums. You can only play radio stations (based upon songs or artists) and the playlists included in the Prime Music catalog.

It's very similar to the free versions of Pandora and Spotify.

BTW, Prime Music (2+ million songs) is included in your Prime membership. Amazon Music Unlimited (50+ million songs) is the paid service.

Bottom line: this free service is a restricted version of Prime Music.
Okay, I misunderstood and thought it was based on the Unlimited service with 50+ million songs but with ads and only pre-designed playlists. Prime Music is fairly lame and often doesn’t have the songs I request. Unlimited is pretty good, but not worth the amount they want considering how little I would get to use it. It was worth $3.99/mo but they won’t let you restrict it to one device at a time; they make you restrict it to one specific device period. It can never be used on your others devices, just that one. I think it costs $7.99/mo for all devices at any time. I live alone and only need one device at any time, but I would want to choose from any of my devices so I don’t have to go into a specific room to listen, or move that single device around. Too inconvenient. An extra $4 isn’t worth that upgrade. Especially since they still push a lot of lame live recordings on us...

Last edited by OtinG; 04-19-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:00 PM   #3600
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

FYI, the last two evenings while watching TV I have noticed my Echo Plus gen 2 updating the firmware. I haven't noticed any of the other three Echo devices (two Dot gen 3 and one Dot gen 2) updating, but if they updated around the same time I would not have noticed since all three or in other rooms. I do know that Alexa has had increasing issues with control of my Home devices (lights) in the past few weeks, so maybe they are working on that. Or perhaps Bezos Bozos just wanted to further muck up an already flaky Alexa! You never know with Amazon. It is like a rollercoaster ride with them. Hopefully they made some improvements this time rather than just add more unnecessary features I will never use.