Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2019, 03:47 PM   #511
ps67
Zealot
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Posts: 117
Karma: 459954
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Italy
Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by fendesa View Post
Thanks anyway, it will mean I'll wait. The thing that I can not understand is that the basic kobo (at least as regards the Italian) has a really bad dictionary, it does not find 2 definitions on 3. Arrival from years of kindle, the kobo is a great reader and is a pity that those who produce it do not try to enrich the quality to compete with the kindle in an appropriate manner.
You can change the useless default dictionary with the one from this thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=196931

Each time You synchronize Your Kobo You will get again the useless dictionary and You will have to insert the good dictionary again but with the patch "Change dicthtml strings to micthtml" and renaming the new dictionary from dicthtml-it.zip to micthtml-it.zip You will have no more that problem.

Last edited by ps67; 02-11-2019 at 03:49 PM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #512
fendesa
Enthusiast
fendesa began at the beginning.
 
fendesa's Avatar
 
Posts: 38
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Turin, Italy
Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
You can change the useless default dictionary with the one from this thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=196931

Each time You synchronize Your Kobo You will get again the useless dictionary and You will have to insert the good dictionary again but with the patch "Change dicthtml strings to micthtml" and renaming the new dictionary from dicthtml-it.zip to micthtml-it.zip You will have no more that problem.
thanks @ ps67 I have already done but, unfortunately, the other dictionary in Italian continues to be of poor quality. Thank you anyway for the help.

Inviato dal mio Mi A2 Lite utilizzando Tapatalk
fendesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2019, 04:13 AM   #513
thunderJ
Junior Member
thunderJ began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2019
Device: kobo aura
Hello, I can't find a dictionary English/Korean for the kobo! Can someone please help me!?!? I made a friend buy the device cause the possibility of having dictionary but there isn't the Korean one !!! GRAZIE MILLE
thanks to everyone
thunderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #514
Owl_
Groupie
Owl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it is
 
Posts: 165
Karma: 2240
Join Date: Mar 2017
Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderJ View Post
Hello, I can't find a dictionary English/Korean for the kobo! Can someone please help me!?!? I made a friend buy the device cause the possibility of having dictionary but there isn't the Korean one !!! GRAZIE MILLE
thanks to everyone
I've found this
Make me know if it works
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-en-ko.zip (2.54 MB, 25 views)
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:28 AM   #515
Owl_
Groupie
Owl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it is
 
Posts: 165
Karma: 2240
Join Date: Mar 2017
Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fendesa View Post
Thanks anyway, it will mean I'll wait. The thing that I can not understand is that the basic kobo (at least as regards the Italian) has a really bad dictionary, it does not find 2 definitions on 3. Arrival from years of kindle, the kobo is a great reader and is a pity that those who produce it do not try to enrich the quality to compete with the kindle in an appropriate manner.
I did a search on the web and the only one I found is this.
I ignore the name and author
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-it.zip (11.03 MB, 33 views)
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #516
fendesa
Enthusiast
fendesa began at the beginning.
 
fendesa's Avatar
 
Posts: 38
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Turin, Italy
Device: Kobo Clara
Thank you!

Thank you, it is always the Italian dictionary "Devoto Oli", unfortunately always with the same problems, 60% converts only the present indicative. Thank you anyway.
fendesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:52 PM   #517
Owl_
Groupie
Owl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it is
 
Posts: 165
Karma: 2240
Join Date: Mar 2017
Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0
Help for test

I have done a chinese-english multidictionary for a friend but I haven't KOreader or the patch to test it (I know that the kobo normally can't read chinese fonts).
So if there's anyone that can test, he's welcome

[project failed - link removed]

thanks

Last edited by Owl_; 04-24-2019 at 03:13 PM.
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:57 AM   #518
thunderJ
Junior Member
thunderJ began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 2
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2019
Device: kobo aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
I've found this
Make me know if it works
thank you very much, I'll try it!! hopefully it will work !!
thunderJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:55 AM   #519
sairamraccha
Junior Member
sairamraccha began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 1
Karma: 10
Join Date: Mar 2019
Device: Kobo
HI can one please help me for english to telugu dictionary for my KObo device. i am trying since one month but count find anywhere.. pardon me that i am not from IT background hence difficult for me.. i will be more thankful if any could help me please
sairamraccha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:25 AM   #520
Question Mark
Guru
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Question Mark's Avatar
 
Posts: 952
Karma: 1740491
Join Date: Mar 2016
Device: kobo aura, KA1, Onyx Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
I have done a chinese-english multidictionary for a friend but I haven't KOreader or the patch to test it (I know that the kobo normally can't read chinese fonts).
So if there's anyone that can test, he's welcome

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tM...c4UKqGMoBa63W-

Open the chinese-english.zip file and you'll find the dicthtml-zh-en.zip that you must copy in the .kobo / dict folder of your ereader

thanks
Seems to be a problem downloading it. Coming in as an empty ot PART file which won't open. Also, did you want it checked out in Koreader or in nickel? Wasn't sure.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #521
Owl_
Groupie
Owl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it is
 
Posts: 165
Karma: 2240
Join Date: Mar 2017
Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Seems to be a problem downloading it. Coming in as an empty ot PART file which won't open. Also, did you want it checked out in Koreader or in nickel? Wasn't sure.
I've just downloaded and opened the .zip
Koreader could be well

Last edited by Owl_; 03-21-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:13 PM   #522
Question Mark
Guru
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Question Mark's Avatar
 
Posts: 952
Karma: 1740491
Join Date: Mar 2016
Device: kobo aura, KA1, Onyx Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
I've just downloaded and opened the .zip
Koreader could be well
Turns out the problem downloading the file was due to Firefox. Should have tried using Chrome when it didn't work with Firefox. With Chrome it downloaded right away.

Was able to unzip the file and copy it to .kobo / dict folder. However, the dictionary doesn't show up, even after a reboot of my KA1.

In order to get my sideloaded Japanese-English dictionaries working, I had to rename them to one of Kobo's other dictionaries. So when I want to look up Japanese kanji, I have to select the German dictionary, and when I want to look up words with hiragana, I have to select the Spanish dictionary.

Would you like me to try renaming your dictionary?

On another note, I haven't copied the file to Koreader's dict folder yet because, from what I recall, those dictionaries need to be in the stardict format.

Let me know if you would like me to proceed with any tests.

Incidentally, I'm running FW version 4.6.10075 on my KA1.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:13 PM   #523
Question Mark
Guru
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Question Mark's Avatar
 
Posts: 952
Karma: 1740491
Join Date: Mar 2016
Device: kobo aura, KA1, Onyx Max
Well, as it happens, I did try renaming the file for one of the other Kobo installed dictionaries, but couldn't get it to work. Tried on a Chinese epub and on a Chinese kepub (converted through Calibre), but couldn't get it to work.

I know it is possible. At one point in time, I had a Chinese-English dictionary working on Kobo. I believe it was tshering's dictionary in the following thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=202182

However, I also remember having issues with fonts when reading in Chinese when using the Kobo software. And so, for reading in Chinese, I switched to Koreader on my Kobo.

Koreader is so much better for reading in Chinese. I believe I have 7 different Chinese stardict dictionaries installed (a mixture of Chinese-Chinese and Chinese-English).

However, these days, I prefer using my Onyx ereaders for reading. I have even found a method for making reading Japanese books work efficiently for me on them. So I think I will now be using my Kobos less and less.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #524
Owl_
Groupie
Owl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it isOwl_ knows what time it is
 
Posts: 165
Karma: 2240
Join Date: Mar 2017
Device: Kindle paperwhite3, Kobo aura one, kobo touch 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
Well, as it happens, I did try renaming the file for one of the other Kobo installed dictionaries, but couldn't get it to work. Tried on a Chinese epub and on a Chinese kepub (converted through Calibre), but couldn't get it to work.

I know it is possible. At one point in time, I had a Chinese-English dictionary working on Kobo. I believe it was tshering's dictionary in the following thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=202182

However, I also remember having issues with fonts when reading in Chinese when using the Kobo software. And so, for reading in Chinese, I switched to Koreader on my Kobo.

Koreader is so much better for reading in Chinese. I believe I have 7 different Chinese stardict dictionaries installed (a mixture of Chinese-Chinese and Chinese-English).

However, these days, I prefer using my Onyx ereaders for reading. I have even found a method for making reading Japanese books work efficiently for me on them. So I think I will now be using my Kobos less and less.
Perfect. I have the stardict files!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ygz...ew?usp=sharing

Would you mind to test it?
Owl_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #525
Question Mark
Guru
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
Question Mark's Avatar
 
Posts: 952
Karma: 1740491
Join Date: Mar 2016
Device: kobo aura, KA1, Onyx Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl_ View Post
Perfect. I have the stardict files!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ygz...ew?usp=sharing

Would you mind to test it?
Just tested it out with Koreader on my KA1 and it works fine.

Interestingly, for some entries, it provides the pinyin pronunciation, but for others it doesn't. For some entries, it also provides the traditional character if the character it is looking up is in simplified form. That can be very handy, especially when reading classical Chinese.

And because this dictionary is in stardict format, I'll be able to use it on my Onyx devices as well. Always useful to have another dictionary. Thanks.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kobo dictionaries

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New custom English dictionaries ShellShock Kobo Developer's Corner 165 08-13-2016 08:53 AM
Kobo desktop loading dictionaries brudigia Kobo Reader 1 07-16-2014 12:55 PM
Touch building custom dictionaries, especially Japanese-English tshering Kobo Reader 0 07-12-2012 06:00 PM
Custom dictionaries for 350/650? 1drey Sony Reader 5 12-28-2010 12:49 PM
non-English dictionaries in eReader on iPod Touch? ficbot Reading and Management 1 10-11-2008 09:04 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:13 PM.


MobileRead.com is a privately owned, operated and funded community.