Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-18-2019, 09:01 PM   #106
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, (PW) & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
As @DNSB said, basically, KOReader & Plato are document reader apps that implement a subset and/or a superset of what Nickel also happens to be doing, while KFMon is a launcher that piggybacks on Nickel to launch those.

Unlike on Kindle, where we keep the underlying system alive, Nickel is killed in the process when such a non-trivial app is launched. But we do rely to some extent on the Kobo software stack for simplicity's sake.

TL;DR: While it is doable (and has been done in the past, c.f., okreader), you'd effectively gain nothing except shaving a few seconds off a cold boot by switching to a custom barebones system. As no-one in their right mind should ever turn off an eReader that's seeing active use, that's pretty much a moot point for 99.9% of the population.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-18-2019 at 09:04 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:16 PM   #107
Alan_S
Addict
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosmonaut View Post
Is it possible to just install Koreader on barebone kobo hardware and to not keep any software from kobo ?
Koreader is ebook reading software.

But, closest you can go to "independence" from Kobo software is with KSM+Koreader (or some other reader, as there are Plato and Vlasoft's package). In this case, from your perspective, you don't (visibly) use any of Kobo software. Of course, if you use it in that way to avoid nickel.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:44 PM   #108
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you *really* don't need anything else, a viable approach would be with an advboot-like tool like what @pazos came up with on Cervantes.

You'd still have to plug that somewhere in rcS to short-circuit the boot-process, so, again, this falls in the "fragile & intrusive" side of things .

(Also, you'd first have to adapt the tool to Kobo devices, which shouldn't be too hard, as the hardware is fairly similar ).
Old 05-20-2019, 05:56 AM   #109
nikosmonaut
nikosmonaut began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thank you for your responses.

I think I will use nickel for now since I figured out how to connect without entering an account and removing fnac logo.
My forma is just brand new I'm kind of scary to mess with something to going this path for now.

Quote:
KOReader is an application that runs on top of the Kobo Linux OS. It replaces most of the functionality of the Kobo GUI but depends on the same hardware interface. Would you think that launching ImageMagick on a Linux box is running a VM? Or perhaps, better, launching an alternative GUI -- ghod knows, Linux has enough choice there.
I agree with you. But I thought that maybe it was possible to at least separate kobo OS and desktop GUI. On Linux if I launch an alternative GUI (for example) XFCE I choose to launch it instead of GNOME, not inside GNOME to then replace it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to tell that koreader is bad or something. Just asking.
nikosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #110
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It's an app. It just happens to be full-screen.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #111
Alan_S
Addict
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosmonaut View Post
I agree with you. But I thought that maybe it was possible to at least separate kobo OS and desktop GUI. On Linux if I launch an alternative GUI (for example) XFCE I choose to launch it instead of GNOME, not inside GNOME to then replace it.
As I said, the closest to that you come by using KSM and koreader (or some other reader).
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 12:32 PM   #112
LAzenha
LAzenha began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Thanks!
LAzenha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfmon, kobo, koreader, plato