Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-18-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
epub3 to azw3 conversion

I'm teaching myself (or trying to) to format a public domain book in epub (original bare minimum formatted book from archive.org). I used the figure and figcaption tags on the images and then belatedly discovered that I need to use epub3 for that, so I used a converter for that.

I bring the book into calibre and convert it to azw3 prior to sending it to the kindle. Out of curiosity I looked at the azw3 file in calibre's editor and saw that the html is still using html5. The html tag at the top of a file is

Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
Whereas in the epub3 file it's

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
Question 1: Pardon me for not having memorized all of those &%#@! html headers and their versions but what version of whatever is calibre's output using?

Question 2: The figures are still using the figure and figcaption tags; will that work with the kindle?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So answering my first question, the calibre output is xhtml, although according to google / the world wide web it's incorrect because it's missing the DOCTYPE line at the top.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Just a passing comment ...

As far as I recall, calibre has never used DOCTYPE in its epubs. I've also never had a problem actually reading a calibre-created epub on any of my Sony/Kobo eink devices or Android epub apps.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
lumpynose
Wizard

I haven't tried calibre's epub editor other than to eyeball an epub I've loaded into calibre and fix the css to change the text justification to ragged right. I started using Sigil and like it and so have stuck with it.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:55 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
doctypes cause far more problems than they solve, which is why they have been retired from the HTML spec (html 5 just uses a generic docype that will never change). And that is why calibre does not use doctypes either.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote