Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #106
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kindle Voyage, Kobo H2O Edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bit101 View Post
All devices have their strong points. The Nova Pro has plenty of advantages over the devices you mentioned.

Kobo/Kindle: the Nova takes notes, sketches, runs useful apps for reading or managing content like pocket, instareader, dropbox natively. And has access to multiple app stores that let you install other apps you might find useful.

iPad: Nova has an eink screen which is subjectively better in many ways, and has drastically better battery life.

No doubt your other devices have other advantages over the Nova as well.
You are right. However, for 300 quid, I found the Nova Pro clunky to use, with a worse reading app than either Kindle or Kobo and worse PDF options than available on the iPad.
I was hoping the Kindle app would run well, b7t 8t didn‘t compared to an actual Kindle. I also hoped the epub rendering would be as good as Kobo‘s but it wasn‘t. I also thought that the PDF reader would provide a fluid, stable experience, but it didn’t.
I guess it’s an essential device for people who read tons of PDFs out in the park, but merely gaining the option to do so is not worth it in my opinion.
I also really did not like that Neoreader does not write into PDFs directly but always has to create a separate file which is huge in comparison to the original. Even the free Koreader app on Kobo is better in that regard.
Don’t get me wrong, it’s not a terrible device in itself, it’s just quite useless with questionable performance when you already have your workflow with PDFs and epubs set up. There’s nothing in the Nova Pro that made me want to adapt my workflow to it.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:47 PM   #107
cel4145
cel4145 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Nova Pro
Got my Onyx Nova Pro about a week ago. Didn't want to spend a lot on a case, so I decided to shop the universal tablet holders. Tried one with the straps/stretch bands that go across the corners, and the strap went over the power button. Needless to say, that did not work.

Tried the Solo Metro Universal Tablet Case, UBN220-4, from Amazon, for $15. It has these metal clips over the corners to hold the reader in, and they do avoid the power button.

The case is a decent fit given its a universal case. However, this case does not have a stylus holder in case someone needs that. I wanted my Nova Pro as an ereader because the 7.8" screen seems a better size to me than my Kindle, so not too concerned about it mysefl.

Haven't been able to use it much yet, but so far I have enjoyed the Nova Pro. First 50 pages in the Kindle app was an adjustment. As others have pointed out, the sensitivity is a bit different from the Kindle. I'm sure after a couple of books, my page turning will be automatic.

I'm also liking the light color adjustments for reading at night before I got to bed. Make the light warm, and I can go to sleep easier after a half hour of reading.

Last edited by cel4145; 04-11-2019 at 09:50 PM.
cel4145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #108
sloth00
sloth00 began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova Pro
I received mine yesterday and updated it to 2.1.1.

Does anyone know how to get the dictionary function to work ?
It keeps saying "loading" then "there is no data" when u highlight a word in any epub.
It doesn't even load the default dictionary that was already in the dict folder by default.

Edit:
figured it out,
just downloaded dicts here :https://sites.google.com/site/gtongu...t-dictionaries
decompressed, put in the MAIN dicts folder not the the 0/dicts folder where the default dictionary already was.
Everything works now.

Last edited by sloth00; 04-27-2019 at 10:23 AM.
sloth00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #109
LittleHouse75
LittleHouse75 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Onyx Boox Nova Pro as an Emacs Writing Device

Quote:
Originally Posted by bit101 View Post
I have not been able to get any wired keyboard or usb storage device to be recognized via the usb c port on the nova pro.
Alas, well, thank you for the info. I suppose I’ll just have to use bluetooth.

My use case for a Nova Pro is for writing using Emacs within Termux, which I know the device is totally capable of. Before I take the $300 plunge, is anyone using Termux anything more than casually on the device? Any gotchas, like Termux draining the battery too quickly, etc?

Thanks!
LittleHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:29 AM   #110
sloth00
sloth00 began at the beginning.

Do you guys can tell me if that black gloom to the right is normal when u turn backlight on ?
I mean, it's a 300 $ plus device and I didn't expect this screen behavior quiet honestly.

https://i.ibb.co/K2Gg2nB/IMG-0328.jpg

Last edited by sloth00; 04-28-2019 at 10:34 AM.
sloth00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:04 AM   #111
MicheleC
Enthusiast
MicheleC began at the beginning.

Device: PalmTX/Illiad v2/PB 360/Nexus 7/Kobo Clara/Boox Nova Pro
Question

I've customized my Note Pro interface using Nova Launcher. I'd like to take advantage of the newest features. But, I think I read on another thread that after updating to version 2.1 that the Note app no longer showed up as a separate app that can be added to the screen.

Can someone confirm?
MicheleC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:21 PM   #112
Faeryink
Connoisseur
Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
I have just ordered Onyx Boox Nova Pro on Amazon. I have a Max2 Pro with 4gb ram, and I am really happy with it. I use it as my main device. I am writing my novel using the wacom pen, and found that I need two devices. So I thought I will try Nova Pro. Can anyone tell me what is Onyx Boox Nova Pro like to write on, I realise that it has a glass surface? On Max 2 Pro I prefer the slight bounce when I am writing, it feels more like paper than writing on my Ipad. Is the surface too hard unlike on the older devices (Onyx Boox Note, Onyx Boox Max 2, or Max)? If so, then I might cancel it. Many thanks!!
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #113
Jayjee
Connoisseur
Jayjee began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicheleC View Post
I've customized my Note Pro interface using Nova Launcher. I'd like to take advantage of the newest features. But, I think I read on another thread that after updating to version 2.1 that the Note app no longer showed up as a separate app that can be added to the screen.

Can someone confirm?
Yes, I can confirm (on Max 2 - but the firmware seems to be more or less the same).
This unfortunately also means, that the note app vanishes from the "recent apps".
You can still add "contentbrowser" as the onyx launcher, and from there go to the note tab.
Or, another workaround, you can us the navigation ball - it has a function "note", that you can assign to one of the buttons.
Not ideal, but I find it less hassle than I thought it would be.
Jayjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #114
sam5154
sam5154 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I've got a question about Nova and Nova Pro screen. are they using glass as front screen in both devices? how much is the glare on their screen? currently I have a kindle paper white and it's amazing how little is the glare even under direct sunlight. and more importantly that special texture they engraved to the glass make it a joy to touch.
sam5154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:26 PM   #115
Nelly
Nelly doesn't litterNelly doesn't litter

Unhappy Not all that happy either

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth00 View Post
Do you guys can tell me if that black gloom to the right is normal when u turn backlight on ?
I mean, it's a 300 $ plus device and I didn't expect this screen behavior quiet honestly.

https://i.ibb.co/K2Gg2nB/IMG-0328.jpg
Hi, yes mine shows this as well, not quite as dark as yours all the way along, more in the corner. Mine is also reverting to Chinese language when it reboots and seems to want to reboot every time rather than just wake up from sleep. Going to email the place I bought it and see whether they have an answer
Nelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:50 AM   #116
Faeryink
Connoisseur
Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.Faeryink shines like a glazed doughnut.

I returned my Onyx Nova to Amazon yesterday. It was really slow (compared to my Likebook Mars), and had many unexpected shutdowns. There is an update coming through so hopefully it will fix it.

Currently, even my Max 2 Pro (4 GB RAM) is crawling compared to my Likebook.

Goodluck!!
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boox, usb c