DeKuns
Connoisseur
DeKuns doesn't litterDeKuns doesn't litter

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
a 15a 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipflargin View Post
Nice sleuthing DeKuns!
I have sent Amazon the debug file ";dm". They asked me to ask them to call me, but since I do not live in the country in their free phone list, I cannot call them.

Contacting Amazon CS through chat only get me to again a CS that did not aware the situation. They said the device is too old—I agree—and therefore, it is not possible to up the concern to the technical team and later, offer me 15% discount for new Kindle.

When I asked whether the technical team have check what happen to Amazon server since it does not return the certificate file to Kindle DX from this location:
Quote:
https://fras-g7g.amazon.com/FrasProxy/getClientCert?fionaID=..."
The person did not understand and asked from where I get that? Oh my, that is written in the debug file. Okay, the person is not a technical support team.

I hope I am wrong, but by saying the device is too old and immediately offer a 15% discount is suspicious. I suspect that they know factory reset will delete certificate from Kindle Gen 1-3, then with the Kindle security update, it will ask a new certificate from the server. By not returning a certificate from the server, Kindle Gen 1-3 will not function properly at 100%. Dead end. If owner of Kindle Gen 1-3 want 100% functional Kindle just give them an option to buy with 15% discount.

Again I might wrong and I hope so about this! Hmm, do this CS get a bonus if customers buy a new Kindle by using their provided 15% discount?

To all Kindle 2i, DXi, DXG, and probably Kindle Keyboard 3G: DO NOT FACTORY RESET YOUR DEVICE! If you want to sell your old Kindle, just deregister. This is to make sure that the certificate of your kindle still intact.

Last edited by DeKuns; 05-15-2019 at 12:39 PM.
DeKuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:06 PM   #62
Flipflargin
Angrah Kitteh
Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Ha ha, I'm fairly direct (and polite) with them now when I call in, immediately asking to be transferred to Kindle specific support group. Initial contact is usually general support folks who read from a script (can be irritating when calling for 20th time about simple ticket status).
There can't be much (if any) training support concerning these old devices so it is easy to fall back to a script which includes, "offer 15%-25% off new Kindle". My favorite is when I explain to them (several times now), "Amazon does not have 9 year old DX's in their inventory anymore, so you won't be able to send me a replacement".
I do wonder if the support centers take aggressive steps to avoid support tickets staying open for weeks on end. It likely counts against their ticket processing time, etc. My ticket was closed for a bogus reason after 2.5 weeks which we immediately had them reopen again.
Ugh, that reminds me, I need to call and make sure they didn't close it again.
Flipflargin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 01:11 AM   #63
DeKuns
Connoisseur

Hahaha, maybe I should leave it my factory reset Kindle DX as it is. As other said, make a fake registration to enable "Collections", and just sideload it. I will not give up Kindle DX for its big screen, not until Amazon produce a new version or I have enough money to buy Onyx Boox.

Other Kindle Gen 2 owners who still able to buy books through the device seemed do not bother to help to see what is in "/var/local/java/prefs/acsr" and "/var/local/java/prefs/certs"

I think a 100% working Gen 2 Kindle will have some files within these directories that our factory reset Kindle Gen 2 did not have.

Last edited by DeKuns; 05-16-2019 at 01:13 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:33 PM   #64
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 2i, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Sorry!

Last edited by montalex; 05-17-2019 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Too much for me!
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:23 PM   #65
Flipflargin
Angrah Kitteh
Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Flipflargin knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
Sorry!
No worries montalex.
It isn't our responsibility to troubleshoot and fix Amazon's Kindle issues.

I really commend Amazon for supporting our ancient devices. But when something on their end goes wrong (server, cert file missing, etc), it is bleep near impossible to communicate the issue through their customer support layer. They try so so hard but just aren't trained to handle issues with these old units.

If their CS are telling people that these units are not supported anymore due to age (I was told this every other call), they should just announce only side-loading is supported and be done with it. I'm totally okay with that.

Well... what I really really want is a release announcement for a new Oasis DXG (back-lit 9.7" display) with WiFi.
Flipflargin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #66
DeKuns
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipflargin View Post
No worries montalex.
It isn't our responsibility to troubleshoot and fix Amazon's Kindle issues.

I really commend Amazon for supporting our ancient devices. But when something on their end goes wrong (server, cert file missing, etc), it is bleep near impossible to communicate the issue through their customer support layer. They try so so hard but just aren't trained to handle issues with these old units.

If their CS are telling people that these units are not supported anymore due to age (I was told this every other call), they should just announce only side-loading is supported and be done with it. I'm totally okay with that.

Well... what I really really want is a release announcement for a new Oasis DXG (back-lit 9.7" display) with WiFi.
This new Kindle Oasis DXG back-lit is called Onyx Boox Nova Pro 7.8" and Note Pro 10.3".