Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-17-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
galvor
galvor began at the beginning.

Device: None
Device Selection Conundrum

Okay, I see a blurb on a tech site this morning that there is a new Kindle Paperwhite that is now waterproof with more storage for about $130. Sweet! But here is my conundrum, 95% of my family's purchased ebook library exists in the Google Play Books store, the rest are B&N Nook. We have a Kindle Fire 8" and 10" for media consumption. I have side loaded the Google Play store and its suite of media apps on our Kindle Fires to get us access to our Google Play Family Libraries. They work, but personally I am not fond of reading on an LCD screen (so I tend not to). We used to have a couple of pre-backlit Nooks and we all really liked them. I have read on someone else's Kindle paperwhite and I liked it also. The article made me wonder, can I get what we really want? An e-ink ebook reader that accesses our existing Google Play Books library? So I Google search, and read articles and reviews, and then stumble on this community.

I am hoping the wise sages that reside here can help me find “The Device”. Optimally “The Device” would have a similar hardware feature set that the new Kindle Paperwhite has at a similar price: e-ink; backlight; wi-fi; waterproof; book, magazine, and audiobook support; Bluetooth support. But it would have to support the Google Play Books store. Additional pluses would be Micro SD card, physical page turn buttons, Google podcast support, Google Play Music, or even the moonshot feature of cell support. (Of course, I would expect to pay more for the pluses.)

Is there such a beast? Do I live alone in my weird Google-centric dream land? Thoughts, recommendations, rumors, or guidance?

Thank you all for reading all of this and for any input that you have.
galvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #2
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Possibly an Android-based eink reader, but I'm not sure whether they support Google Play Library.

That said, it's entirely possible to read Google Play books on a Kindle, but not out of the box. You'd need to download the books, remove the DRM if it's there (not every book has it), convert them to a Kindle-compatible format and sideload them to your Kindle. It might be too much hassle for you. Not to say that removing the DRM is illegal in many countries, but no one will know if you do it for your own personal use.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
A list of Waterproof readers is in our wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvor View Post
...95% of my family's purchased ebook library exists in the Google Play Books store, the rest are B&N Nook. We have a Kindle Fire 8" and 10" for media consumption... but personally I am not fond of reading on an LCD screen (so I tend not to).
Learn about Calibre and the Apprentice Alf de-DRM plug-ins. Then you can download your Google Play and Nook books, strip the DRM and read them on whatever device you prefer.

It's not as daunting in practice as it sounds when you read about it. And once set up, the process to strip DRM from future purchases is simple and painless.

Once you do that you can buy whatever reader suits your fancy.

Quote:
We used to have a couple of pre-backlit Nooks and we all really liked them. I have read on someone else's Kindle paperwhite and I liked it also... “The Device” would have a similar hardware feature set that the new Kindle Paperwhite has at a similar price: e-ink; backlight; wi-fi; waterproof; book, magazine, and audiobook support; Bluetooth support. But it would have to support the Google Play Books store. Additional pluses would be Micro SD card, physical page turn buttons, Google podcast support, Google Play Music, or even the moonshot feature of cell support.
I think you're asking for too much. The primary selling point of e-ink readers is their screen. In what way does an e-ink screen improve the audio book/podcast/music experience? I love reading on my reader, but I use my phone or tablet for the other things. Being forced to do them on an e-ink reader sounds like torture to me.

Having said that, the current Kindle Paperwhite has Bluetooth, so if you felt like loading it up with those things as MP3s, I believe it would play them (haven't researched it). Though it will not stream podcasts and definitely not Google Play Music. Audiobooks are only available from Audible, I think.

I've never owned a Kindle myself. But the waterproof Paperwhite seems to be very nice.

You liked your previous Nook. Barnes and Noble made a waterproof Nook, The Glowlight Plus that was very nice. It's been retired, but you can pick them up on eBay for around $50. I bought one and really like it.

Their current model is the Nook Glowlight 3. It is not waterproof, but has physical page turn buttons and more storage than the Plus. It also has a screen that can change from color from white to amber, which is pleasant to use at night. I bought mine a while ago. It was $130, but I think it's cheaper now.

There was an article recently hinting that B&N is in the process of clearing a new Nook with the FCC, but who knows when it will be released?

Another option is the Kobo Clara HD. It doesn't have the Glowlight 3's page turn buttons, but it does have the color changing screen. Kobo is very good at giving you options, changing where to touch on the screen to turn pages, much wider variety of margin, line-spacing and font size options. They also allow you to sideload any font you want. The Clara is $130 and in the US you can order one from Walmart.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote