Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #46
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I'm bumping this thread because I feel like it does not get enough (read: hardly any) love. Here's some reccomendations:

The beautifully formatted Letters of Jane Austen

Quote:
This edition of Jane Austen's letters was edited by Jane Austen's great-nephew Edward Hugessen Knatchbull-Hugessen (the first Baron Brabourne, 1829-1893), and was published in 1884. It's neither complete (about two thirds of the letters now known to have survived are included), nor are the texts of the letters necessarily always transcribed with minute scholarly fidelity, but it's out of copyright, and includes many annotations and interesting comments on the letters.
The Garden Party and Other Stories by Katherine Mansfield

A House to Let with contributions from Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, Elizabeth Gaskell and Adelaide Anne Procter.

Quote:
A House to Let was the Household Words Extra Christmas Number for 1858, and was co-authored by Charles Dickens, Wilkie Collins, and Elizabeth Gaskell, all well established novelists, and Adelaide Anne Procter, Queen Victoria's favourite poet who in her time was ranked just below Tennyson. Dickens and Collins together provided the linking text between each story. The chapter entitled 'The Manchester Marriage', by Elizabeth Gaskell, was also included in her 1860 short story collection Right at Last and Other Tales.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:28 AM   #47
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I've been downloading a few books from mobileread. The quality of many obscure e-books is very surprising.

If anyone has downloaded such books from this site, can they give recommendations? That's it.
I have recently grabbed the Joe Muller detective stories, written by Austrian author Augusta Groner (under the pen name Auguste Groner) and enjoyed them. I think the first thing I ever downloaded here was the Thinking Man Omnibus and I still have it in the collection.

My favorite from this year is the Letters of Jane Austen.
Advert
Old 10-14-2020, 12:15 PM   #48
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've enjoyed the books of essays written by A. G. Gardiner, Lark Rise to Candleford by Flora Thompson, The Dream of Gerontius by J. H. Newman, and books by Clarence Day.

My children have also enjoyed a number of the books produced by GrannyGrump.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:49 AM   #49
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbad View Post
Recently I have been enjoying the works of J.S. Fletcher an English mystery writer. Time spent searching the MR library is time well spent.
That wouldn't be Jessica Fletcher by any chance?
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 03:31 PM   #50
astrangerhere
Professor of Law

I'd like to recommend Willa Cather's A Lost Lady - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32255

I've read a good bit of Cather, and One of Ours is one of my favorite novels of the period. But this was a new read to me and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

From Goodreads:
Quote:
Marian Forrester is the symbolic flower of the Old American West. She draws her strength from that solid foundation, bringing delight and beauty to her elderly husband, to the small town of Sweet Water where they live, to the prairie land itself, and to the young narrator of her story, Neil Herbert. All are bewitched by her brilliance and grace, and all are ultimately betrayed. <snipped for a spoiler> This, Willa Cather's most perfect novel, is not only a portrait of a troubling beauty, but also a haunting evocation of a noble age slipping irrevocably into the past.
Advert