Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #1
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Kindle DX 3G card

I have thoroughly screwed my Kindle DXG and wonder if I can replace its motherboard with one I have from a Kindle DX US only and switch out the 3G module from the DXG to get reception Canada. I imagine the serial number might preclude this. I installed 3.1 firmware on the DX and I can't go back because I failed in copying 2.5 firmware. I can't use the 3G anymore.
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:32 AM   #2
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
what do you mean replace its motherboard????

just search "update_restore-os.bin" to get back 2.5.8
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
DeKuns
Connoisseur
DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
what do you mean replace its motherboard????

just search "update_restore-os.bin" to get back 2.5.8
But would that file also need to be accompanied with ".img" file?
DeKuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:18 AM   #4
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't have the restore file! The process of creating it failed. I'd love to find a way to restore the Kindle to 2.5.8. Otherwise, I think I'll leave it alone. It functions just fine as a large reader for things like sheet music. and the browser was limited anyway.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:25 AM   #5
montalex
Fanatic

My DXG was a DX from the US. I changed the motherboard to get international 3G. I can put the original motherboard back, but I live in Canada and the 3G won't work. That's why I wonder if I could use the 3G module from the DXG in the US model DX. Do I make sense?
Advert
Old 06-14-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
DeKuns
Connoisseur
DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.DeKuns puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
My DXG was a DX from the US. I changed the motherboard to get international 3G. I can put the original motherboard back, but I live in Canada and the 3G won't work. That's why I wonder if I could use the 3G module from the DXG in the US model DX. Do I make sense?
Your case is rare. I would suggest you just go ahead with the swapping. If it works, then it means you got a jackpot. It cost you nothing other than your weekend time. Do not forget also to post the final result in this thread. Good luck!
Old 06-14-2019, 04:56 PM   #7
montalex
Fanatic

Well, I tried the US motherboard with the DXG 3G module. It tries to connect, then turns itself off.

I don't recommend pulling apart a DX. It's a real pain to get small things back in place. I've cracked the 3-way button, for one. It's not made to take apart and put back together. I think this one is toast!
Old 06-14-2019, 05:11 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Well, I tried the US motherboard with the DXG 3G module. It tries to connect, then turns itself off.
My never disassembled US DXG has been turning wireless off immediately after I turn wireless on for the past several weeks. (Signal bars are very briefly shown.)

Last edited by j.p.s; 06-14-2019 at 06:12 PM.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:19 PM   #9
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
My never disassembled US DXG has been immediately turning wireless off immediately after I turn wireless on for the past several weeks. (Signal bars are very briefly shown.)
Maybe I'll give it a couple of days. It's really a mess now! A learning experience!

It is hard to reassemble such that button work -- I can't get page turn buttons to work at present, but it's not screwed completely together Although it does seem to be screwed...
Old 06-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #10
montalex
Fanatic

I put my DX back together with the B004 motherboard and the DXG 3G module. It tries to connect, then shuts off. On the 411 menu I see:
server is DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN
cerificate MISSING

Curiously it shows as registered, which it is not. The DXG was registered and is still listed as registed, but can no longer connect with firmware 3.1. So, I am back where I started with a DX that works but cannot connect.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #11
DeKuns
Connoisseur

Quote:
I put my DX back together with the B004 motherboard and the DXG 3G module. It tries to connect, then shuts off. On the 411 menu I see:
server is DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN, DOWN
cerificate MISSING

Curiously it shows as registered, which it is not. The DXG was registered and is still listed as registed, but can no longer connect with firmware 3.1. So, I am back where I started with a DX that works but cannot connect.
Yes, @montalex! Firmware 3.1 is no longer able to connect to Amazon. What I do know is that only Firmware 2.5.8 or the unofficial 3.4.2 can connect to Amazon server. For 3.4.2 registration is only through contacting Amazon CS because for some reason, the registration directly from the device does not work.
Old 06-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #12
montalex
Fanatic

I tried to get Amazon to register my DXG under 3.1 with no success. 3.4.2 is completely beyond my abilities. I have 5 working Kindle Keyboards with open 3G access, so it's not like I'm suffering!
Thanks for the help!