Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-02-2018, 12:49 PM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
If I'd waited for my library to give me a copy, I might be reading it for NEXT May. Not earlier.
The beauty of Hoopla! No waiting. It means you're limited to the app, but it's a nice option to have when waiting lists are long and prices are high.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The beauty of Hoopla! No waiting. It means you're limited to the app, but it's a nice option to have when waiting lists are long and prices are high.
That's why I looked to see if All You Need is Kill was available via Hoopla and it available as an audiobook. So for all of you who can access Hoopla. please third this and then vote for it. Everyone else can do the same thing too so it wins. It's a very good book.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2018, 01:58 PM   #33
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
If I'd waited for my library to give me a copy, I might be reading it for NEXT May. Not earlier.

However, while checking out the library, I discovered another book that would fit this month, but is too new, unfortunately. It's this month's book to read in the BC Public Library, so always available there. Flat Broke with Two Goats, by Jennifer McGaha. Looks quite interesting, so if your library has it, you might want to grab it. (And if you're in BC, you can be sure there isn't even a wait list!)
This book just showed up at my Library in Overdrive...

The Radium Girls is a good book for sure. I'd read it again. (I'm not going to fourth it)
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:33 PM   #34
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
This book just showed up at my Library in Overdrive...

The Radium Girls is a good book for sure. I'd read it again. (I'm not going to fourth it)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's why I looked to see if All You Need is Kill was available via Hoopla and it available as an audiobook. So for all of you who can access Hoopla. please third this and then vote for it. Everyone else can do the same thing too so it wins. It's a very good book.
Just to be clear, Hoopla might be an option for some in the US. NOT an option outside the US, so far as I've seen. So just because you check there, doesn't mean you're doing many of us any good. Fortunately, in the case of The Radium Girls, there's a good option for buying if you're able to buy in the UK.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:38 PM   #35
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll nominate All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka.This is a really really good book. It was made into the movie Edge of Tomorrow.
]
As you know, Jon, I'm all in favour of stretching the limits of what fits a particular month's theme, but I'm not catching how this fits? Care to help me to understanding?

Oh, wait. DUH! Doomed to Repeat It. Impressive. I'd NEVER have thought of this book for this month, but you're right, it fits.
Advert
Old 04-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #36
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I second The Prestige by Christopher Priest.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 04:04 PM   #37
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I second Tracy Kidder's The Soul of a New Machine
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:25 PM   #38
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I third Willoughbyland - a story I had never heard of, but it's in my library!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:37 PM   #39
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
I'll nominate All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka.This is a really really good book. It was made into the movie Edge of Tomorrow.

Goodreads 4.05 rating with 14,084 Ratings
Hoopla Digital
Overdrive:
Kobo US
Kobo UK
Kobo CA
Kobo AU
Amazon US
Amazon UK
Amazon AU
Amazon CA
The book also seems to have been published as Edge of Tomorrow as a movie tie-in, in Australia at least.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #40
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
For those of us who like learning about the foods we eat (okay, maybe that's just me), the non-fic Salt: A World History is pretty darn interesting. The doomed to repeat part falls into the much-anticipated apocalypse-- if our modern world goes down the tubes, it'll be the people with access to salt and other food preservation methods who will likely survive.
While this book sounds interesting, it's a too pricey at $16.99 USD for my blood, or to use my last ticket on. It is, however, easily available from my library, so I might just go ahead and download it. (Two editions, one with 9 copies, one with 4. And a total of three copies checked out right now.) And it's a good deal cheaper at AmazonCA, with a price equivalent to $7.80 USD.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #41
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I third Willoughbyland - a story I had never heard of, but it's in my library!
I'd never heard of it either, but now I plan to read it. It's the other highly cogent reason for the nomination process: discovery. The best of both worlds is to settle on a good book for discussion, but also to find a book or two that I'd not known, but is exactly my thing.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #42
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
I'd never heard of it either, but now I plan to read it. It's the other highly cogent reason for the nomination process: discovery. The best of both worlds is to settle on a good book for discussion, but also to find a book or two that I'd not known, but is exactly my thing.
Now see, I can definitely say that about your nomination, and about Salt, actually. But not this one. OTOH, two new books to read so far isn't bad, and we just started.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:13 PM   #43
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Clearly I am completely out of step with almost all of you ...
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #44
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Clearly I am completely out of step with almost all of you ...
I think it's mostly just trying to find out where you can be in step. I think of it as a Venn diagram - even if most of my bubble is largely unshared (and it is!), there's always some overlap, even if you have to look hard. And then there's the expanding horizons aspect, but I admit that while I have no problem with expanding my horizons, I also have no interest in falling off the edge. Some things will never appeal.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:57 PM   #45
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I will third The Prestige by Christopher Priest
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote