Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #676
cband7
cband7 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch glow
By the way, I got the magnetic cover for the Clara and it works REALLY well - just fold the cover shut and it puts the reader to sleep. I've only charged it once in the last month. No gripes on the battery life!
cband7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #677
cband7

2nd by the way - don't rest any magnetic stripe credit card on the magnetized cover - it will demagnetize it (shouldn't hurt chipped cards)
Old 12-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #678
cband7

Next Day - The My Books list browsing by swipe works perfectly. You have been added to my will for helping - expect about a dollar ninety seven based on how my finances are going..... :-) Memory - I've given up the concept of "4000 books" as I won't live long enough to read them ! I will check the SD card to see if I can up the speed, I feel the need -- the NEED FOR SPEED! (apologies to Top Gun). It's odd that with fast memory so cheap these days our readers don't run like scalded chickens (apologies to PETA, I was just kidding). I seem to apologize to a lot of folks here (apologies for the long post.......).
Old 12-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #679
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
(apologies to Top Gun).
Top Gun should be apologizing to us. it's an awful movie.

Quote:
It's odd that with fast memory so cheap these days our readers don't run like scalded chickens...
Memory is cheap. Slow memory is even cheaper.

Besides, I don't think anyone expects an e-ink reader to be blazing fast.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #680
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
And I could be mistaken, but I'd bet it's the processor that's the bottleneck (rather than memory speed) and the tradeoff there becomes potentially quickly reducing battery life the more you crank up processor speed (along with cost of course).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 09:47 PM   #681
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
And I could be mistaken, but I'd bet it's the processor that's the bottleneck (rather than memory speed) and the tradeoff there becomes potentially quickly reducing battery life the more you crank up processor speed (along with cost of course).
SSDs get their speed partly from parallelization. 8-32GB of planar TLC NAND isn't going to be particularly fast, especially not when it comes to random small block writes.

That said, yeah, I expect the processor and RAM are the bottlenecks when dealing with thousands of books.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #682
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Yeah, e-readers are pretty slow. Good thing I have a single use for it and I don't turn pages particularly quickly.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:17 PM   #683
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
Yeah, e-readers are pretty slow. Good thing I have a single use for it and I don't turn pages particularly quickly.
E-readers are slow, but so far all of them load the next page faster than my eyes can travel from the bottom of the page to the top. At least that's been the case with ePubs and kepubs. Maybe not so much with PDF, but then I never read PDF on an e-ink device.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:29 AM   #684
doki43
Enthusiast
doki43 began at the beginning.

Device: none
For people who have the Kobo Clara HD and the Kobo glo (1st version, Non HD). Is it a good upgrade from the kobo glo to the clara HD? I have the kobo glo but the light is too bright and white and I am looking for a kobo with comfort light. I would also love faster page-turns. Is the kobo clara faster at page turning than the kobo glo?
doki43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #685
heyman
Connoisseur
heyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it isheyman knows what time it is

Device: sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
How do I tell that?

Update: So I tried tapping both with a pencil. The Glo HD responds whereas the Clara HD does not. I guess that means the Clara is using capacitive touch. The bezel is noticeably less high.
did you try Forma, forma should be IR touchscreen, clara not
heyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #686
Silverty
Connoisseur
Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doki43 View Post
For people who have the Kobo Clara HD and the Kobo glo (1st version, Non HD). Is it a good upgrade from the kobo glo to the clara HD? I have the kobo glo but the light is too bright and white and I am looking for a kobo with comfort light. I would also love faster page-turns. Is the kobo clara faster at page turning than the kobo glo?
I would say it's an upgrade. My kobo glo is still going strong but I love the warm orange light on my Clara and it's just faster as well which is nice. Easier to type on as well.
Silverty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:49 PM   #687
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
did you try Forma, forma should be IR touchscreen, clara not
I believe the Forma is capacitive. It has a flush screen.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:26 AM   #688
doki43
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverty View Post
I would say it's an upgrade. My kobo glo is still going strong but I love the warm orange light on my Clara and it's just faster as well which is nice. Easier to type on as well.
When you say that the Clara HD is faster, do you mean in page turns? Is the clara faster in page turning?
Old 06-21-2019, 12:34 AM   #689
Silverty
Connoisseur
Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silverty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura H2O2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doki43 View Post
When you say that the Clara HD is faster, do you mean in page turns? Is the clara faster in page turning?
Yeah page turns and just in going back to the home screen and such as well.
Silverty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 05:33 AM   #690
doki43
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverty View Post
Yeah page turns and just in going back to the home screen and such as well.
Do you think it would be possible to create a video, showing the page-turn difference? Same book, same pages.. Weirdly enough, there is no such video anywhere, not that I can find atleast. I bet it would be of much help to a great amount of people.

If you cannot do it, it's still ok, thank you for replying!