Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-08-2018, 06:14 PM   #16
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I have availability problems with a few titles; sadly, as they look interesting. For the other titles readily available to me:

1 vote - Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon, Scotland
1 vote - Resistance by Owen Sheers
1 vote - Kokoro by Natsume Sōseki

I have two votes left, which I need to think about.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:20 AM   #17
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I’ll finish out my votes with one vote each to:

-Resistance
-Petals of Blood
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:18 AM   #18
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I'll use my last vote for Half of a Yellow Sun.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:40 AM   #19
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll allocate my remaining votes to Sunset Song and Resistance.

Another great slate of books this month; I'd like to read all of them.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreed! An excellent list. I'm glad to be introduced to authors from Scotland and Wales too.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:25 PM   #21
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Voting is complete and the winner is Half of a Yellow Sun!
Old 06-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #22
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

I’ve been wanting to read this book ever since it was on the BBC’s list of 12 best novels of the 21st century. The length is a bit daunting for me this month but I’m going to give it my best go. Cut into weeks it’s about 125 pages a week which sounds a little less daunting.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #23
bfisher
Wizard

Same here; I've been wanting to read it for a while, but put off because of the length. Reading it for the book club gives it that last little push for me.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:18 PM   #24
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing the list! I've had this book on my TBR list for a very long time too. I've been slowly working through the list of Women's Prize winners. The book club is a good motivator!
Old 06-10-2018, 06:37 PM   #25
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
I found her two TED talks useful as background to this writer while reading the book a few years back, and also very interesting (I have just re-watched them).

Those with the TED app will know how to get to them, otherwise there are multiple sources that come to the top when Googling "Adichie TED talk".

I have started rereading the book.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:26 PM   #26
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Thanks for the TED talk recommendation, AnotherCat!
Old 06-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #27
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

The discussion thread is up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
My second nomination is Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata from Japan. It's available via Overdrive, and I love the beautiful cover of the Vintage International edition.

From Goodreads:
I just looked at the cover for this and it really is beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I found her two TED talks useful as background to this writer while reading the book a few years back, and also very interesting (I have just re-watched them).

Those with the TED app will know how to get to them, otherwise there are multiple sources that come to the top when Googling "Adichie TED talk".

I have started rereading the book.
Thanks for that, AnotherCat.