Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Chapters: "While Quantities Last"

Price of the Kobo reduced on the Chapters website to $129 while quantities last.

Does this mean
* Chapters will no longer sell Kobo
* Chapters.indigo.ca will no longer sell Kobo
* new Kobo coming out
* something else
* nothing?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:53 AM   #2
R2P2
R2P2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
It means if they sell out, they're not going to give rainchecks. Doesn't mean they won't ever restock.
R2P2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
It could also mean that they have a limited amount to sell at that price point.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
ModReader
Kobo
ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ModReader has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Wifi
Or that they are hopefully clearing out stock for the new firmware.
ModReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I have a better deal ... $128! And walmart.ca still shows $149!

It's been this price [$128] in Canada since early Aug, off and on, sometimes with a $20 gift card, sometimes not ...

I think they are just testing price points and moving stock ahead of the Kindle 3 picking up steam. Given Sony's cheapest ereader in Canada iss the 5" PRS 350 at $199.99, Kobo can afford to keep the price where it is for the short term. But, surely, this model is headed for $99 and when a replacement or big brother model comes out, there will be room to look at $128 to $149 again.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
Yeah, I think the new price is $128 now. Yes it's while quantities last but I think that's more to cover themselves if they run into supply issues so they can raise the price. I feel the state of the current Kobo reader is of $99 value now following the price changes of the competition, I do expect we'll see it at $99 before Christmas or at the latest before the new year.

If Kobo were to bring out a new device using the current generation eInk screen and some other tweaks to get the speed up I'd probably consider replacing mine. The Kindle 3 appeals to me but I guess brand loyalty and lack of real "need" stops me from ordering one.
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote