Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-31-2006, 01:30 PM   #1
The GreatGonzo
Old Yeller
The GreatGonzo is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad & Kindle - The Best of Both Worlds
MP3 Player

Since my two-week vacation on Lake Michigan is coming up and since I had planned to listen to books as well as read them -

can anybody point me towards a simple MP3 player that will work on the Iliad and doesn't require major (or even minor) hacking? Or are we not quite there yet and I need to wait for a couple more software upgrades?
The GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
Wait for release 27.9 or higher for this.

With the current software release the iliad is unhackable, there's no legitimate way to run your own applications and iRex didn't even finish developing their viewer software, let alone add in new stuff like an mp3 player.

And guess what? They don't really plan to increase their development speed nor do they plan to accept (or even tolerate) us trying to do their job.

At the moment i'm seriously considering to send the iliad back in the repair box and ask for a refund instead of a reperature. If they keep the 75€ i already paid for repair - i'm really in a mood that i don't really care, at the moment.

Btw: we had an console mp3 player up and running, on v2.4. Finding and compiling one with a GUI would have been possible for sure.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2006, 02:28 PM   #3
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHer
Wait for release 27.9 or higher for this.

With the current software release the iliad is unhackable, there's no legitimate way to run your own applications and iRex didn't even finish developing their viewer software, let alone add in new stuff like an mp3 player.
I have received today an email from Irex addressing my protest, and at least they keep claiming they will release a development kit. So well, at Xmas we will have MP3. Perhaps before, if they put some openzaurus module to get sound from html or pdf (yep, in theory pdfs support sound too).

I'd not say the machine is unhackable; just we do not have accumulated enough free man-hours to address the quest. It is possible a serial port is available somewhere (most probably they plan to login via serial to repait you machine, Dher) and then the only issue is to crack the root password. And there are some extra bugs in mozilla and Xwindows we could try, but we do not have the knowledge nor the information.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:47 PM   #4
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
Question from the non hacker dummies. iRex has a developer site. Are they not allowing development if you register there? Seems to me they want a modicum of control to ensure bad stuf doesn't get into the wild.

Maybe.
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
I have received today an email from Irex addressing my protest, and at least they keep claiming they will release a development kit. So well, at Xmas we will have MP3. Perhaps before, if they put some openzaurus module to get sound from html or pdf (yep, in theory pdfs support sound too).
What did they say about availability...? Are they still on track for a Q4 release for the SDK...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader
Question from the non hacker dummies. iRex has a developer site. Are they not allowing development if you register there? Seems to me they want a modicum of control to ensure bad stuf doesn't get into the wild.

Maybe.
Irex seems very apple-ish. They will allow development but they will wait a time to allow it (as it happened in the Mac 128/512K) and then will keep some business tricks (for instance I guess clicking in documents will open the application they specify and some other kinds of minor, patronising, control).
Old 07-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
Irex seems very apple-ish. They will allow development but they will wait a time to allow it (as it happened in the Mac 128/512K) and then will keep some business tricks (for instance I guess clicking in documents will open the application they specify and some other kinds of minor, patronising, control).
Well... From what we all had to declare, it would seem that the o/s isn't completely finalised yet. Its hard to do in-house development on a moving target... It would be even harder to expect third-party developers to do such a thing...

Which is why I'm going to wait for the SDK. As we have seen Irex can chop and change anything at will, and relying on anything with the Irex won't prove to be fruitful.
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:29 PM   #8
arivero
Guru

For the mac, the reference docs were fully covered of confidential tags, and we were expected to get a LISA machine for crossdeveloping. A MacBASIC was developed, seen at version 0.99 and then retired due to an agreement with microsot. The really "final" machine was the MacPlus, two years later.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:57 AM   #9
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
some companies

some companies are really very idiotic - instead of supporting the customers they kick them ... not very professional indeed ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:30 AM   #10
DHer
Addict

Ok, it seems like the situation is going to get better fast. In a, well, not completely sober state last sunday morning i wrote a slightly angry email to iRex asking for a refund instead of a reperature. (i also said a not so nice thing about a way to flash the device and gpl violations) Well, they didn't trash it but i got the following response.

Quote:
We will offer a development tool environment at no costs to our iLiad users that will suffice for most development needs. More details about this SDK will be announced on our developer website and it is expected to be available by September.

In addition we will launch a community forum shortly where we hope to have an open and constructive communication with the community and where we will try to support the third party developers and assist them with their technical questions.

I can offer to refund your iLiad if you want. The total amount will be the price you paid for the iLiad minus the repair costs, the transport costs and the handling costs.

Alternatively I can also offer to repair your device and return it to you as soon as possible, since you have already paid for the repairs.

I sincerely hope that you have some patience to wait for what we have to offer to the community.

Please let me know what you would prefer to do.
That's the kind of communication i was always hoping for. A date for the SDK and the promise of a forum for direct contact with iRex officials.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:57 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
We told them that we'd welcome any iRex employee in our community.

And guess what: first they agreed. But then the idea was refused, apparently by someone from the upper management, and my only guess is that they didn't like the idea of having no control of what's been said here.

I must say I am more than slightly disappointed that they didn't even bother to put us in their links collection - despite everything our members have done to increase their sales and to smooth out their frequent miscommunication.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:44 AM   #12
DHer
Addict

hm. manybooks and a video review as links from iRex, but not mobileread? That's really weak.

And concerning the forum: I think they would be the first company to declare an external forum as the official iRex Technologies forum. As you said, no control over what is said and done. But that really doesn't mean that they couldn't have one or two spokespeople join us and keep us informed.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:11 AM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yup, the idea was not to be an "official" forum (that would have been also contrary to our plans), but to have iRex employees voluntarily participate here.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:57 AM   #14
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
Hmmm...maybe we have to give them some time to sort their stuff out.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2
Hmmm...maybe we have to give them some time to sort their stuff out.
Good advice, R2D2. We should keep in mind that iRex is a small start-up and not a conglomerate; as such, we shouldn't except them to do everything immediately right.

Still, I had to share my disappointment with someone