Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Best features of a Sony reader

What are the best features of a Sony reader? Please make sure that you give the model numbers of the readers you are talking about. What are the worse things about Sony readers?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Why do you care? Are you going to be buying one? If so, models are irrelevant you will have a hard time finding an unused older model and it wouldn't be worth it anyways.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
All Sony's - great series and collection management using calibre.
350-650-600 very reliable, great navigation (alphabet list on side).
PRS-T1 Can change fonts - Not so reliable, page turn skips with both buttons and swipe, battery drains very quickly about once a month (not connected to charger at the time). Slows down and crashes when deleting several books in a row.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
Nicko
Groupie
Nicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toysNicko shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
All Sony's - great series and collection management using calibre.
350-650-600 very reliable, great navigation (alphabet list on side).
PRS-T1 Can change fonts - Not so reliable, page turn skips with both buttons and swipe, battery drains very quickly about once a month (not connected to charger at the time). Slows down and crashes when deleting several books in a row.

Helen
Really. I have had a PRS-T1 since they were released and I haven't had any of the problem that you quote. You sure you don't have a faulty reader?.
Nicko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
What are the best features of a Sony reader? Please make sure that you give the model numbers of the readers you are talking about. What are the worse things about Sony readers?
PRS-300

Best features: Support for ePub which means you can buy your books from many publishers. Good collections management which integrates well with calibre. Very stable firmware.

Worst features: Sony supplied PC software, (though you don't have to use it.) No support for sub-collections or browsing by folder. (The PRS+ firmware may address this but I've not tried it.)
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
Really. I have had a PRS-T1 since they were released and I haven't had any of the problem that you quote. You sure you don't have a faulty reader?.
Pretty sure as I have seen all of these problems mentioned by many. My T1 will function with no problems other than the double page turn problem for a month or longer (3 months once) then it does odd things for a bit.

Don't think it is a faulty epub as I loaded exactly the same books on my other Sony readers and went to the same page etc. with no probelem on more than one occasion.

It was a gift that came with a 3 year extended warrenty so if it dies I can get it replaced for a year or so more. And I do like it despite my whining as the lighted cover is great for reading on the balcony.

Are you sure you don't have any double page turns, or many instances of it opening a book after selecting a collection? This is the only problem I can make occur on demand and may not be enough to warrent a replacement, but if it never happens to you I will give it a try.

Never happened on my 350 or 600 both of which I used more.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
PRS300 and PRS350

I have and use both

PRS300 Without a doubt, it is built like a tank. I don't think I've ever seen portable electronics as well built as the 300. Otherwise, I think it is pretty middle of the road for the time it was in the market.

PRS350 The touch screen is really nice. It's well built, but I don't think it's as rugged as the 300. The stylus broke about 3 weeks after I got it though fortunately I don 't seem to need the thing.

Even though I like the touch screen, I tend to use the 300 more. I'm not sure I could tell you why. Maybe it is the feeling of ruggedness that I'm responding to. The difference in 'feel' is quite strong to me.

On both, I really like the ePub format, even after Sony and Adobe are done messing with it. I'm now smart enough to stop buying DRM books so I can move the books to my Droid Bionic and then back to one of my readers and ePub is good for this..

Graphics for this generation of eReader is OK, but not up to the standards of modern readers and tablets. It's OK for getting a sense of the Book cover, but not so great for maps charts and photos though.

No regrets on ownership. . .
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Agree completely with Glen - the X00 series PRS are rugged and solid little machines.

I've got a PRS 600, which is my reader of preference for novels and general overall reading.

The PRS 350 I tend to use for reference books and my daily downloads of the NY Times and other "ephemera."

For both readers, one of the big advantages (IMO) is the lack of Wifi or Bluetooth or any other sort of wireless connection. When I read, I don't want to be distracted by e-mail or links to websites or any of that other nonsense. I curl up with a book and get lost in the world of the book I'm reading.

Having to connect the reader now and then to the computer to download reading material is actually handy, since I have a noticeable tendency to "forget" to charge up my electronic devices.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #9
DarkGuyver
DarkGuyver began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I have a Sony PRS-350 and the best feature about it is that you can drag and drop files to the device. It supports epubs, and txt files. It's slim, very light and easy to use. The only bad thing is that it doesn't have a slot for expandable memory.
DarkGuyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
I have a 650 and I love the way the library is managed.
And the metal frame looks darn classy in my opinion (I have the red one)
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
Bittybye
Addict
Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bittybye ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T2
I have the T2 and without a doubt my fav feature is the slider bar in the library. With books, free stories and fanficions I have well over 5000 books so it's a little tedious to go though page for page trying to go to a author (especially if I've forgotten how to spell the name so search is useless)
Bittybye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:25 AM   #12
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post

PRS300 Without a doubt, it is built like a tank. I don't think I've ever seen portable electronics as well built as the 300. . . .
This; 2 days after I got mine, it fell out of my bag. As I picked it up off the pavement I feared the worst, not a scratch & it's still working perfectly 3 yrs later.

Also love the size 5" is just perfect
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
PRS-T1. Much less buggy than my recently purchased Glo for my GF. Maybe we have a bad one, as our last 2 Kobos were fine.

Had a minor problem with the T1's page turns, which was rectified reasonably quickly shortly after release, with a firmware update. Battery life is excellent, and I like the option of hardware page buttons, which I occasionally use when reading one-handed.

Looking forward to Sony releasing a front-lit reader, but frankly, don't even know if that's in the pipe.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote