Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
rst3
rst3 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo arc
help in transferring e-books to Kobo Arc

Just bought a Kobo Arc for my wife for Christmas and a friend gave me a zip drive with a few thousand e-books on it. I downloaded Calibre and transferred all of the books onto Calibre, however after following 'how to' instructions I can't transfer any of the material onto the reader. I read somewhere that there is software that hasn't been developed for the Arc as of yet but does anyone know how I can put the books onto the reader? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
rst3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
One very good solution is Calibre Companion; https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...calibreandroid. This will connect via WiFi to current versions of Calibre as opposed to USB.

But are you sure that Calibre is not recognizing it? Calibre does (in current version 0.9.12) support MTP mode for USB connection...

I just attached my wife's Arc; it's still installing the drivers on my PC; sigh, but on the ARC I do see the option for either MTP or PTP mode.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2012, 12:21 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
AH!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rst3 View Post
Hopefully someone can help. I recently bought a Kobo Arc and have Calibre installed on my computer with all of my e-books downloaded into the Calibre files. I have instructions on how to transfer them onto my device however after following the instructions and although the Calibre 'jobs' notification shows jobs completed the e-books are not on my reader. Can anyone assist? Thanks.
I think the issue is what reader software you are using on the Arc, and where it expects (by default) to find books.

When the Arc is plugged in, and calibre has recognized it, click on the "arrow" besides the word Device across the top of the calibre screen and select the option configure this device. Here you will see two main areas of interest; a button on the right Change Scanned Folders and an area at the bottom Format Specific Sending.

The Change Scanned Folders is used to restrict where Calibre looks to find books, and hte Format Specific Sending sets up mappings between book types and locations to store them on the Arc.

(Sorry at this point I'm getting out of my comfort zone; not being sure where some of the Android readers look for books. I expect though that you could navigate throught the directories on the Arc from eReader applications such as Moon+ Reader or Aldiko. You could probably also get help in the MobileRead Android forum https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=225 as I think from your other post that the ePubs DID make it to the device).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:33 AM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
AH!!

I think the issue is what reader software you are using on the Arc, and where it expects (by default) to find books.

When the Arc is plugged in, and calibre has recognized it, click on the "arrow" besides the word Device across the top of the calibre screen and select the option configure this device. Here you will see two main areas of interest; a button on the right Change Scanned Folders and an area at the bottom Format Specific Sending.

The Change Scanned Folders is used to restrict where Calibre looks to find books, and hte Format Specific Sending sets up mappings between book types and locations to store them on the Arc.

(Sorry at this point I'm getting out of my comfort zone; not being sure where some of the Android readers look for books. I expect though that you could navigate throught the directories on the Arc from eReader applications such as Moon+ Reader or Aldiko. You could probably also get help in the MobileRead Android forum https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=225 as I think from your other post that the ePubs DID make it to the device).
If Aldiko reader was installed on the Arc, yes, the OP could use the "Files" icon on the Home screen to find the ebooks (once they were moved to the tablet) and add them to Aldiko to be read; assuming he knew which file folder they were added to.
Mine are in mnt/sdcard/ebooks but my tablet is a Samsung not an Arc... I assume they would be in the same place on his if added with Calibre.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote